Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Cipot Ffo:
Astronomy news: when a teenager finds Tatooine

CuriousG
Nevle-flah

Jan 11, 3:50pm

Post #1 of 6 (163 views)
Shortcut
Astronomy news: when a teenager finds Tatooine Can't Post

Remember the original planet of Luke Skywalker and how it had two suns? I also remember there were professional astronomers at the time saying that there were all sorts of rules of celestial mechanics that would make circumbinary planets extremely improbable. So fast forward to the present, and a high school intern at NASA found just such a planet (except it's probably a gas giant rather than a solid planet like ours, but so what). Cool news! And think of his resume:

• Worked cash register at Chipotle
  • Mowed lawns for a summer
  • Discovered a circumbinary planet

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 11, 6:23pm

Post #2 of 6 (142 views)
Shortcut
I saw this [In reply to] Can't Post

and thought, "That's a heck of an addition to his CV".

I hadn't thought of Tatooine! One thing that put me off writing space SF was my lack of knowledge, but the older I get the more I see evidence that our expectations of galactic mechanics aren't always right. Even the flyby of Pluto forced scientists to rethink how that planet (yes, I said it!) operates.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

My original fantasy writing

My LOTR fan-fiction

Cirashala
Aessere Lot

Jan 11, 9:01pm

Post #3 of 6 (129 views)
Shortcut
That is really cool :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I shall have to see if my uncle knows about it- he works for NASA as their "Space Weatherman" (Dean Pesnell he's been on PBS and what not as well with NASA stuff) in The Goddard center. He specializes in the Sun, in fact, so he probably does Smile

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

My historical novel print and kindle version

My historical novels ebook version compatible with all ereaders

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

(This post was edited by Cirashala on Jan 11, 9:05pm)

grammaboodawg
Latrommi

Jan 12, 1:56pm

Post #4 of 6 (101 views)
Shortcut
*raises eyebrow* Fascinating... [In reply to] Can't Post

I love it! :D I would have been excited just to have the internship; but to score such a cosmic find is awesome! I don't have a bad feeling about this AT ALL! ;)

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

CuriousG
Nevle-flah

Jan 12, 2:43pm

Post #5 of 6 (99 views)
Shortcut
Pluto was such a surprise [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually thought it was a waste of a good space probe's time to fly by Pluto, which was an insignificant rock. Then the flyby happened and we learned all sorts of things from that overly-maligned planet, and I was really glad it happened.

CuriousG
Nevle-flah

Jan 12, 2:44pm

Post #6 of 6 (97 views)
Shortcut
And that's cool that he works for NASA [In reply to] Can't Post

He must be excited by the probe that's going to be in the fringes of the Sun's atmosphere. I am!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.