Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Subject field doesn't always publish along with title field

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jan 4, 5:00pm

Post #1 of 13 (814 views)
Shortcut
Subject field doesn't always publish along with title field Can't Post

Hi,
This has happened to me a couple times now where I write a post with title and subject, but only the the title actually gets posted, with the text appearing blank, as in this post. I use Firefox and Windows 10 (home). I've seen it happen in preview mode as well, then if I do a refresh, the text comes back. It doesn't happen all the time: maybe 1 out of 5 posts?

Anyway, it's been happening for a few months now and isn't something that's going to go away on its own like I thought it would. (My thinking was that it was some quirk in Firefox that would be fixed.) No idea if you can do anything about it or not, but wanted to raise the flag. And yes, if I just pay more attention, I can make sure things post correctly. I generally copy all the text anyway when I hit Preview just to make sure nothing gets lost.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 4, 5:47pm

Post #2 of 13 (790 views)
Shortcut
Short-term Fix [In reply to] Can't Post

In the short term, I suggest saving your text so you can re-add it in 'edit' mode if it doesn't post the first time.

#FidelityToTolkien

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 4, 8:10pm

Post #3 of 13 (780 views)
Shortcut
I haven't come across that before. [In reply to] Can't Post

Have you tried another web browser, such as Chrome, to see if the problem still occurs?

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

My original fantasy writing

My LOTR fan-fiction

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jan 4, 8:10pm)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jan 4, 8:55pm

Post #4 of 13 (777 views)
Shortcut
*Quickly hides eraser* [In reply to] Can't Post

Evil

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jan 4, 10:08pm

Post #5 of 13 (764 views)
Shortcut
I knew it was Ethel. It's always Ethel. // [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jan 4, 10:14pm

Post #6 of 13 (765 views)
Shortcut
I will try it in Chrome and see [In reply to] Can't Post

though since it doesn't happen every time, I'm not sure when it will crop up again.

If it's not happening to anyone else, maybe it's my machine. I'll clear cache and cookies and see it that makes a difference.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jan 4, 10:53pm

Post #7 of 13 (759 views)
Shortcut
Aaack! Who else [In reply to] Can't Post

knows . . . . . . . . . .

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 4, 11:06pm

Post #8 of 13 (757 views)
Shortcut
*gasp* Then it was YOU who stole my Admin pixel-eraser? [In reply to] Can't Post

ShockedShockedShocked

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jan 4, 11:43pm

Post #9 of 13 (757 views)
Shortcut
First Pixels, next, the Elves [In reply to] Can't Post

(Pixies being the diminutive form of the term. I guess all the PTB here thought we of the rank-and-file didn't know . . . .)
I was trying to protect at least some of the supernatural beings still left on these New Boards.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 5, 2:49pm

Post #10 of 13 (706 views)
Shortcut
I have it happen to me, too. [In reply to] Can't Post

Like you, I copy whatever I've typed before hitting Preview or Post to make sure I don't lose it. I mostly use Explorer, but also will shift of Firefox (I don't like Chrome).

What I've also discovered is when I can't see the text after hitting Preview, if I click on "Switch to Basic Editor", most of the time the text is there. Like just now.... typing this I hit preview and my text was gone. I clicked on Switch to Basic (there's the text!) and went right back to "Switch to Advanced Editor" and all the text reappeared.

I find for most of my longer posts (TIME/BS/Walk) where I do a lot of cut/paste that I do have to go into Basic Editor to fix things. I have a really old computer/laptop, so I'm used to things not always going smoothly ;)

GOOD LUCK! :D

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Jan 5, 2:55pm)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jan 5, 4:36pm

Post #11 of 13 (694 views)
Shortcut
*Can't find sock in dryer. Looks suspiciously at Ethel.* // [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jan 5, 4:41pm

Post #12 of 13 (695 views)
Shortcut
Aha! The only one, I am not [In reply to] Can't Post

It is manageable if you always copy and save your text like we do, but maybe it's indicative of something malfunctioning somewhere? I understand if it's hard to reproduce, however, it's hard to fix.

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Jan 5, 6:11pm

Post #13 of 13 (692 views)
Shortcut
Why, I'm hurt!!!!!! (And also much more in favor [In reply to] Can't Post

with my little niece and nephew, with this new toy to amuse them.)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.