Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Come join us for the first Fiesta of 2020!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 3, 5:09pm

Post #1 of 23 (477 views)
Shortcut
Come join us for the first Fiesta of 2020! Can't Post

Woah! I accidentally did a typo of 2929 in the subject line. Gave myself a bit of a start there, lol.

While it's not 2929, it *is* the very first Fiesta of the new year *and* as an added bonus it's Professor Tolkien's birthday!
How did you ring in the new year? Toasting? In front of the tele? Sound asleep? Laugh We binged on a little "Expanse" then watched the ball drop on Times Square (2 hours after the real ball dropped). 2019 got a little testy there towards the end, so we're glad to leave it in the rear-view mirror. Any new year's resolutions? I've decided to go resolution-free this year and just go with the flow, taking care of important and/or enjoyable things as they come, and savoring them!

*puts quarters on juke box* play us a good tune to ring in the new year as we toast to "The Professor" with the best champagne the Dorwinion Elves can make (a well-kept secret for anyone not connected with the Fiesta bar). Cool

Have a wonderful first weekend and first full week of 2020, everyone! HeartLaughSmileHeart

(Argh! meeting starting an hour early. Self-serve and I'll be back later)!

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jan 3, 5:48pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 3, 5:25pm

Post #2 of 23 (438 views)
Shortcut
*takes glass of champagne, raises it* The Professor! [In reply to] Can't Post

That is a lovely picture of him, Altaira, do you know what book it is that he's reading? It looks like one that deals with his paintings, but I can't figure out the title.

We went out for an early dinner, then did a movie double-header, first the Patrick Stewart "Christmas Carol" on DVD, then popped our VHS of "White Christmas" into the player for some fun Bing Crosby and Danny Kaye. That took us into the New Year!

I think you have the best idea, no resolutions, just taking care of the important things and enjoying life as it comes. And have you been taking good care of yourselves, you and your family? You had a tough way to end the year! Heart

*puts quarter in juke box* How about some classic Beach Boys, "Good Vibrations"!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 3, 5:49pm

Post #3 of 23 (434 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like a perfect evening! [In reply to] Can't Post

Patrick Stewart's "Christmas Carol" is on of our annual staples. Ha! Love Good Vibrations to start the new year!
Happy weekend, my dear! Heart

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Annael
Immortal

Jan 3, 7:18pm

Post #4 of 23 (426 views)
Shortcut
we started it out quietly [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't care to be out on the roads late at night, and anyway it was blowing up a gale so the fireworks were cancelled. We had Aperol spritzes for an early toast at 10-ish. One neighbor set off a couple of loud bangs at midnight.

I did watch the New Year's Parade in London the next day. I found the commentators slightly less annoying than the American commentators on the Thanksgiving Day parade in New York, mostly because we didn't see them. Could not decide if they were joking when they wondered aloud if the sousaphone was named after "someone named Susan."

Choir starts up next week, I'm sending my next book out for editing and then to the publisher this month hopefully, and on Friday I am headed to a cabin near Mount Rainier for four days of writing retreat to get started on the NEXT book.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around Ö The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

(This post was edited by Annael on Jan 3, 7:20pm)

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Jan 3, 7:32pm

Post #5 of 23 (424 views)
Shortcut
Happy Fiesta, folks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I will raise a glass later to the Professor, after a day spent in the fresh Welsh air walking through mossy winter woods in slanting sunlight, followed by lunch and a browse round a gallery showing exhibitions of calligraphy, stone carving and textile printing - all very cultural. This was with members of my Pilates group, a very sociable bunch. Every week after our exercise session we go round the corner to a cafe where a table is reserved for us; we drink coffee and compare creaks and so forth!
We're all *cough* ladies of a certain age...Wink
I gave up on resolutions a looong time ago; I know what I need to do to be happier and healthier! I need to deal with negativity about myself first, then the rest should follow - allegedly! Good luck to you all in the coming weeks and months, anyway, and may we all receive at least some of what we hope for in 2020. Cheers!

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jan 3, 8:30pm

Post #6 of 23 (421 views)
Shortcut
Happy first weekend! [In reply to] Can't Post

And a toast to the professor and his amazing legacy.

Last year had some heavy trials, including in my own country, and this year is off to a tragic start for our Australian friends and neighbours. I'm wishing, hoping and praying for a brighter year ahead.

I don't do resolutions any more, either. But I have a few ambitions for the year ahead, and a few things I'm really looking forward to. We plan to do a good lot of kayaking over summer, and in March we're hoping to catch up with old friends. There's another holiday or two planned. Barring the truly unforeseen, I'll finish my current w-i-p *at last*. And I hope (and will do my best) to continue healthy and active - I did one of my best-ever 5km runs to mark the new year, which feels like a good omen.

Wishing everyone a pleasant weekend, and a good start to the year.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 3, 8:31pm

Post #7 of 23 (421 views)
Shortcut
Something warming, please madam barkeep. [In reply to] Can't Post

Our summer is playing games with us, bringing up another cold front from the south for the next several days. A bit of consistent warmth wouldn't go amiss.

My New Year's was quiet (just as I like 'em) and I'm starting to tick off 'to do' jobs, including organising a re-upholstering of my lounge suite. It has a lovely (not lovely) 70s brown flower pattern; I've intended to replace the sofa and chairs for the last five or so years but haven't been able to find something small enough for my living room that I like. And, I've seen how new sofas just aren't made to last (my brother's one is already falling apart). So, I've taken the Zero Waste message to heart and will instead refresh what I have - just waiting for a local firm to get back to me with a quote.

If I could have a New Year's wish, it'd be to finally kick this cold - I'm really over it.

It's lovely to see you back here, Altaira. Please have a drink on me. Heart

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

My original fantasy writing

My LOTR fan-fiction

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 3, 8:50pm

Post #8 of 23 (413 views)
Shortcut
Sounds refreshing [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never had Aperol, but I like Campari which can also be bitter. What a great alternative to champagne. Of course for us, with our French ties, it not only has to be fizzy, it has to be French champagne.

Wow! No sooner does one book go off, than another one starts! Are they on related topics or are there completely new ideas waiting to get out of your head and on to paper?

Happy, happy weekend! Smile

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 3, 8:52pm

Post #9 of 23 (416 views)
Shortcut
Same to you, GH! [In reply to] Can't Post

Your day sounds absolutely perfect, both the inside portions and the outside portions. I hope your weekend continues the goodness. Smile

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 3, 8:57pm

Post #10 of 23 (414 views)
Shortcut
And to you, too, Kimi! [In reply to] Can't Post

Echoing your thoughts for a sooner than later end to the Australia fires. The pictures are almost unbelievable.

Well done to have your 'w-i-p' so close to being done. That will give you a true sense of accomplishment for sure. Good luck with it! Heart

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 3, 9:07pm

Post #11 of 23 (413 views)
Shortcut
Hot toddy, coming up! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry to hear your cold is lingering on, unwelcomed and all. Rather rude of it. Laugh Here's a nice, warm, hot toddy with lots of orange slices, lemon slices and honey!

What a great idea to reupholster your furniture. You'll get a whole new look and still have furniture that fits, and that obviously also lasts. Have you decided on a color or pattern yet? More brown flowers? Wink

It's lovely to be back here, too, and I'll take you up on that drink. Heart

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jan 3, 9:15pm

Post #12 of 23 (410 views)
Shortcut
I'll get [In reply to] Can't Post

the upholsterer to help me pick a fabric. If we have a decorating or design gene, mine is underdeveloped.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

My original fantasy writing

My LOTR fan-fiction

Solicitr
Rohan

Jan 3, 9:52pm

Post #13 of 23 (405 views)
Shortcut
Subject [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
That is a lovely picture of him, Altaira, do you know what book it is that he's reading? It looks like one that deals with his paintings, but I can't figure out the title.

I believe it's The Adventures of Tom Bombadil. The Baynes cover illustration was later recycled by Ballantine for the paperback Tolkien Reader

(no books on Tolkin's art werepublished during his lifetime; the first was Pictures by JRR Tolkien (1979))

(This post was edited by Solicitr on Jan 3, 9:53pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 4, 2:47am

Post #14 of 23 (386 views)
Shortcut
A resolution to have no resolution! Perfect! [In reply to] Can't Post

*flying tackle hug* It's so great to see you! I think your resolution is splendid!

I had a quiet New Year... which is just fine with me! I can be drawn out to see a proper flick, however. I remember spending New Year 2002, 2003, 2004 at the theatre with my beloved Fellowship ;)

Happy Birthday to our dear Professor! If he could only know what an enduring journey he and his stories are still on :)
It's a kind of magic! by Queen

Have a wonderful, peaceful, and blissful New Year everyone!

Thanks for taking such great care of us, Altaira *more hugs*

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 4, 2:57am

Post #15 of 23 (386 views)
Shortcut
A welcoming welcome to the New Year :D [In reply to] Can't Post

That was a proper celebration, fersher! I was watching "It's a Wonderful Life". *raises mug* Here's wishing you a Wonderful Year :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 4, 3:02am

Post #16 of 23 (386 views)
Shortcut
Retreat!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Cheers, m'dear! I love it that you're giving yourself that wonderful seclusion to spend quality time with your writing :) Even if you don't get much done, just being in a cabin at the mountain would be fantastic!

Happy New Year! May it be the BEST EVER! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 4, 3:10am

Post #17 of 23 (386 views)
Shortcut
What a great day! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll bet you'll sleep good tonight :D Here's wishing you the very same New Year... filled with wonderful experiences and more fun days like today :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 4, 3:18am

Post #18 of 23 (385 views)
Shortcut
Congrats on the great run! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I am SO happy for you that you're doing so great! It is a wonderful way to start the New Year!
I've been watching the horrible fires in Australia. So much loss that's still going on. I wish they could have a good, soft, steady rain to soak everything without causing any mudslides or flooding.

*raises mug* Here's to the best New Year ever :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 4, 3:23am

Post #19 of 23 (384 views)
Shortcut
You're still fighting that cold? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow.. it's really hanging on :( Here's hoping it fades away FAST! It's funny that I'm having warm fronts here in Michigan in the winter and you're have cold fronts in the summer. BUT the breaks can be a nice change.

I hope you have a wonderful New Year and don't have a single cold through the whole thing! *hugs*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Annael
Immortal

Jan 4, 4:54pm

Post #20 of 23 (318 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

it's supposed to snow, and I have an almost infinite capacity for sitting and watching it snow.

(Not quite. When I lived in the mountains one year, it snowed for a week straight - heavily, up to 18 inches a day - and on the sixth day I thought "I am actually bored of watching it snow." Plus the shoveling got onerous. But it's only supposed to snow 1-3 inches a day while I'm there.)

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around Ö The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Jan 4, 5:42pm

Post #21 of 23 (312 views)
Shortcut
Happy New Year! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope that meeting of yours went well, Altaira. Smile Similar to you, my family rang in the new year in front of the TV. We're not that interested in the various live programs filled with performances from various singers we've either never heard of or don't like that much, so we made use of our Disney+ subscription and watched "A Day at Disney", which was pretty interesting and got us to 11:30, at which point we turned on one of the programs that shows the ball drop and just read our books with the TV muted (except when Lauren Alaina came on because she was the one performer we actually like) until midnight, at which point we toasted the new year in with sparkling cider and then promptly went to bed.

My one real resolution is that I *will* visit these forums and post more than once this year. I WILL! Even if I have to restrain myself to very short posts, I really do want to make time to visit my TORn sibs more often.

Other than that, I don't really do "new years resolutions" per se. I mainly just continue trying to reach the goals I was already trying to reach. Like, l think I can finish the first draft of my massive portal fantasy this year, and, after letting it sit for several months, begin editing it with fresh eyes and try to make it slightly less massive. While I'm letting that story sit, I'll look at my fairytale retelling and begin rewriting that. And at some point, I'll edit some short stories and get back to subbing them to paying magazines in the hopes something will stick.

In crafty news, I'm looking at shifting my Etsy shop towards making themed collections of items, most likely bookish themes, so I'll be working on putting one of those together and launching it, hopefully late in the year.

Aaaand, dad just decided we're going somewhere right this minute, so I guess that's all I get to say for now. :P

I hope everyone has a lovely 2020!

They can say, they can say it all sounds crazy
They can say, they can say I've lost my mind
I don't care, I don't care, so call me crazy
We can live in a world that we design
'Cause every night I lie in bed
The brightest colors fill my head
A million dreams are keeping me awake
I think of what the world could be
A vision of the one I see
A million dreams is all it's gonna take
A million dreams for the world we're gonna make
-"A Million Dreams" from The Greatest Showman

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 5, 2:33pm

Post #22 of 23 (246 views)
Shortcut
Happy New Year! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

That's my kind of approach to New Years celebrating. I'm not a party person, so yours sounds like a great evening :)

Good luck on your writing and editing. I think it's good to step away from a huge project like that. I'll bet you don't anticipate what's coming up when you're reading and so don't really get the full impact of what's actually there. AND best of luck on your etsy relaunch! :D

Have a wonderful New Year, m'dear!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Jan 9, 6:54pm

Post #23 of 23 (75 views)
Shortcut
Lunched at Tim Hortons [In reply to] Can't Post

I lunched at Tim Hortons today (a Canadian-based donut chain), and learned that our local shop can be a bit unpredictable if you order off the menu. I asked at the counter if they could do a BLT and was told 'yes'. Now, I was expecting bacon, lettuce and tomato on multi-grained bread (toasted on the panini press) with a bit of mayo. What I got did have bacon lettuce and tomato on it; it also had egg and cheese, and was on a multi-grained bagel. And it didn't have mayonnaise. It was fine, but also a bit of a surprise!

#FidelityToTolkien

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.