Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
"The Hobbit" films ranked as among the worst out of 5,000+ films of the 2010s.
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Solicitr
Gondor

Mar 15, 3:28pm

Post #76 of 78 (376 views)
Shortcut
Just to clarify [In reply to] Can't Post

I have NO 'inside information' regarding the events of summer 2018 relating to the Tolkien Estate. All I know is what I read in the papers, just like everybody else.

But given the coincidence in time of Christopher's retirement and the Amazon deal, I think the two must be causally linked, in one of the following ways:

1) Christopher retired due to age, and with that roadblock gone the rest of the Board took the money and ran; or
1a) Christopher retired, and with that roadblock gone the lurking Amazon pounced; or

2) The majority of the Board couldn't resist the temptation of a quarter-billion dollars and so outvoted Christopher, who resigned in protest; or

3) With the GDP of a small country on the table, the rest of the Board forced the recalcitrant Christopher out so they could take the money.

Although, again, I don't have actual knowledge, nonetheless I would be utterly astounded if the case was

4) Christopher himself sold out

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Mar 15, 6:17pm

Post #77 of 78 (358 views)
Shortcut
Definitely not No. 4 [In reply to] Can't Post

I would guess that it is some shading between 1 and 2. I'm doubtful that it is fully No. 3, though perhaps that is my idealistic side showing through.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Noria
Gondor

Mar 15, 8:07pm

Post #78 of 78 (346 views)
Shortcut
This, hopefully [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I would guess that it is some shading between 1 and 2. I'm doubtful that it is fully No. 3, though perhaps that is my idealistic side showing through.

As for 1a), Amazon could lurk all it liked but it could hardly pounce, since the Estate could not have been forced to agree to the transaction.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.