Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Kcabdeef:
"The Old Internet Died and We Watched and Did Nothing."

N.E. Brigand
Nevle-flah

Dec 29 2019, 3:44am

Post #1 of 4 (1042 views)
Shortcut
"The Old Internet Died and We Watched and Did Nothing." Can't Post

That's the title of a new article at Buzzfeed, whose subtitle is: "It's 2020 -- do you know where your content is?" I won't link, because the site includes a lot of political content that I would hate for anyone to accidentally stumble across. But it made me wonder: has there been any progress toward saving the content of the original TORN forums? Several members had volunteered to assist in that process (and I would be glad to put in many hours of work to help out and/or to conribute funds to assist); one of them was the late a.s., who I think was the first to notice the old forums had gone dark in 2016.

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 29 2019, 8:56pm

Post #2 of 4 (970 views)
Shortcut
I think [In reply to] Can't Post

we'll need to wait to hear back from Altaira, who is understandably absent just now. But yes, it'd be wonderful to have our discussions (and tomfoolery) archived.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

My original fantasy writing

My LOTR fan-fiction

N.E. Brigand
Nevle-flah

Dec 30 2019, 5:02pm

Post #3 of 4 (955 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Ataahua. [In reply to] Can't Post

I hadn't heard the sad news about Altaira's sister.

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

grammaboodawg
Latrommi

Jan 4, 1:30pm

Post #4 of 4 (156 views)
Shortcut
*hand shoots up* I'm getting ready... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm working on putting several projects into the "finished" file to be ready. :) It's been good taking the time to do these as I've found more of my old links to add to my list.

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.