Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TIME - December 21
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Solicitr
Rohan

Dec 28 2019, 1:35am

Post #26 of 43 (1602 views)
Shortcut
Subject [In reply to] Can't Post

The biggest challenge was making glass clear and consistent enough to serve as lenses. If you've ever seen Roman or medieval glass you'll notice it's more 'translucent' than transparent. The theory of optical magnification was certainly known, but it wasn't until the 1300s and the development in Venice (which held onto the secret for a long time) of making decently clear, inclusion-free glass that the first crude magnifying glasses and spectacles came about, and 1600 before quality lenses were made suitable for things like telescopes, microscopes and decent eyeglasses.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 28 2019, 3:04am

Post #27 of 43 (1588 views)
Shortcut
*jaw drops* That is so cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't heard about the history of how glasses came to be. Seriously... that's very cool! Thank you :D

sample
Heartfelt wishes for a Peaceful and Happy New Year

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 28 2019, 1:05pm

Post #28 of 43 (1545 views)
Shortcut
TIME - December 28 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

December 28, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. The Fellowship travels the wild
(not from the appendices)

..."The first part of their journey was hard and dreary, and Frodo remembered little of it, save the wind. For many sunless days an icy blast came from the Mountains in the east, and no garment seemed able to keep out its searching fingers. Though the Company was well clad, they seldom felt warm, either moving or at rest."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Cirashala
Tol Eressea

Dec 28 2019, 8:11pm

Post #29 of 43 (1508 views)
Shortcut
This is an interesting quote [In reply to] Can't Post

"Though the Company was well clad, they seldom felt warm, either moving or at rest."

This implies very strongly (along with Rumil and Haldir and co having furs, and all the company's clothing being fur-lined) that even elves and dwarves, for all their hardiness, feel cold as well. Though it seems as though both, especially elves, have a higher tolerance for the ill effects of such. I take this to mean that elves won't necessarily die from the cold per se (except maybe when crossing the Helcaraxe), but they can certainly feel it.

Tolkien does seem to contradict himself in the passage of the Redhorn crossing though when it comes to Legolas' footwear. Maybe since he wasn't sinking into the snow and thus his feet weren't really wet, lighter shoes weren't as cold as the Men and hobbits whose boots (and feet, respectively) WERE submerged by snow and wet?

There are questions...questions that need answering Smile

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

My historical novel print and kindle version

My historical novels ebook version compatible with all ereaders

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

(This post was edited by Cirashala on Dec 28 2019, 8:12pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 29 2019, 2:20pm

Post #30 of 43 (1436 views)
Shortcut
TIME - December 29 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

December 29, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. A Yule-tide celebration as Beorn's influence grows throughout the lands.
(determined from text)

..."...men came from far and wide to feast at Beorn's bidding. The goblins of the Misty Mountains were now few and terrified, and hidden in the deepest holes they could find; and the Wargs had vanished from the woods, so that men went abroad without fear. Beorn indeed became a great chief afterwards in those regions and ruled a wide land between the mountains and the wood..."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 29 2019, 3:22pm

Post #31 of 43 (1427 views)
Shortcut
Is it what it seems? [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe elves are susceptible to being lost to the cold and wind when I think of the flight of the Noldor. Fingolfin, Galadriel and the others as they marched through Middle-earth "dared to pass into the bitterest North; and finding no other way they endured at last the terror of ... ...the cruel hills of ice. Few of the deeds of the Noldor thereafter surpassed that desperate crossing in hardihood or woe... ...the wife of Turgon was lost, and many others perished also..."

I think this cold the Fellowship is facing is not a normal or natural storm. When they were on Caradhras, they came to understand that they were under attack. So the cold and snow would certainly tear through and pierce any layer of clothing.

And I wonder if Legolas stood in the melted snow with the others? I get the feeling he, being more tolerant of the cold and understanding it's an attack, would be standing outside the circle on guard. I don't think he was untouched by the cold; but throughout the Silmarillion, elves faced snow and storms very often and so were practiced in how to tolerate it. Not that men and dwarves weren't experienced; but this isn't a typical storm... imho ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 30 2019, 11:14am

Post #32 of 43 (1342 views)
Shortcut
TIME - December 30 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

December 30, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. Busy days at Bag End and Crickhollow
(not from the appendices-no text-drabble)

...While Sam tended to Bag End's restoration, Merry and Pippin were busy at Crickhollow. Frodo had already decided to donate the little house to Buckland for families made homeless by the war.
..."Well, here's one good thing to come from Frodo's move," said Pippin while wrapping dishes from the cupboard. "The furniture and items he cares about most were not in Bag End to be ruined."
...Merry nodded. "I hope when all of this is put back where it belongs that it helps Frodo feel more comforted. The hardness he's been through still wears on him. Being home on the Hill will help."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 30 2019, 9:17pm

Post #33 of 43 (1305 views)
Shortcut
Good point [In reply to] Can't Post

And one I never thought of much until now. Thank you!

..."Well, here's one good thing to come from Frodo's move," said Pippin while wrapping dishes from the cupboard. "The furniture and items he cares about most were not in Bag End to be ruined."

Don't ask me why, but I feel attached to Bag End and its glorious hominess and comfort because Bilbo and Frodo were so attached to it, and it just rubs off. So, though selling it and moving to Crickhollow was all a ruse to cover Frodo's departure, it certainly turned out for the best since it preserved his belongings.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 31 2019, 12:17am

Post #34 of 43 (1294 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

Just like the Millennium Falcon is my favourite character in Star Wars, Bag End is my LotR/Hobbit favourite. I even call my home "The Old Bag's End". ;)

I'm so glad Sam, Rosie and the kids ended up with it. All that love and life would completely purge any sad memory of Sharkey's End.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 31 2019, 2:18pm

Post #35 of 43 (1246 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some New Year BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here are some Book Spoilers to welcome in the New Year by observing some Middle-earth New Year activity... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From The Hobbit: A Short Rest

... ""...what is Durin's Day?" asked Elrond.
... "The first day of the dwarves' New Year," said Thorin, "is as all should know the first day of the last moon of Autumn on the threshold of Winter. We still call it Durin's Day when the last moon of Autumn and the sun are in the sky together.""

From APPENDIX B

THE TALE OF YEARS: The Third Age: THE GREAT YEARS 3018: The Return of the King

... "In the North... ...there had been war and evil. The realm of Thranduil was invaded, and there was long battle under the trees and great ruin of fire; but in the end Thranduil had the victory. And on the day of the New Year of the Elves, Celeborn and Thranduil met in the midst of the forest... ...they renamed Mirkwood Eryn Lasgalen, The Wood of Greenleaves. Thranduil took all the northern region as far as the mountains that rise in the forest for his realm; and Celeborn took the southern wood below the Narrows, and named it East Lórien; all the wide forest between was given to the Beornings and the Woodmen."

From The Field of Cormallen: The Return of the King

... "When Sam awoke, he found that he was lying on some soft bed...
... ...He remembered that smell: the fragrance of Ithilien. 'Bless me!' he mused. 'How long have I been asleep...?' ...where are we?'
... And a voice spoke softly behind him: 'In the land of Ithilien, and in the keeping of the King; and he awaits you.' With that Gandalf stood before him...
... ...Sam lay back, and stared with open mouth, and for a moment, between bewilderment and great joy, he could not answer. At last he gasped: 'Gandalf! I thought you were dead! But then I thought I was dead myself. Is everything sad going to come untrue? What's happened to the world?'
... 'A great Shadow has departed,' said Gandalf, and then he laughed, and the sound was like music... ...Frodo [was] sitting up and laughing in his turn. 'I fell asleep again waiting for you, Sam... ...now it must be nearly noon.'
... 'Noon!' said Sam, trying to calculate. 'Noon of what day?'
... 'The fourteenth of the New Year,' said Gandalf; 'or if you like, the eighth day of April in the Shire reckoning.* But in Gondor the New Year will always now begin upon the twenty-fifth of March when Sauron fell, and when you were brought out of the fire to the King."'

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 31 2019, 3:10pm

Post #36 of 43 (1242 views)
Shortcut
New Year's Day throughout Middle-earth [In reply to] Can't Post

The Shire Reckoning: 2 Yule. The second of the Yuledays, falling between December 30 and January 1. According to Tolkien (in LotR, Appendix D) this would, in our calendar, fall on December 23.

For the Longbeards (and perhaps all Dwarves): "[The] first day of the last moon of Autumn". In T.A. 2941 this might have fallen as early as October 19 (Shire-date) or as late as October 22.

The Calendar of Imladris: Yestarë (about April 6). The day before tuilë, the first day of Spring.

The King’s Reckoning and Steward’s Reckoning: Yestarë (equivalent to 2 Yule). Along with mettarë (the last day of the old year), yestarë fell between the months of Ringarë (December) and Narvinyë (January).

The New Reckoning: Yestarë (March 25 old style). The first month of the year was changed to Víressë (April) “beginning generally five days earlier than previously”.

#FidelityToTolkien

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 31 2019, 4:11pm

Post #37 of 43 (1233 views)
Shortcut
Excellent! :D Thank you! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 31 2019, 7:49pm

Post #38 of 43 (1224 views)
Shortcut
Praise them with great praise [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it would feel really cool to have the calendar system changed and based on something you did (and nearly died trying to do):

In Reply To
... 'The fourteenth of the New Year,' said Gandalf; 'or if you like, the eighth day of April in the Shire reckoning.* But in Gondor the New Year will always now begin upon the twenty-fifth of March when Sauron fell, and when you were brought out of the fire to the King."'

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 1, 2:49pm

Post #39 of 43 (1146 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a Book Spoiler about Gimli and Legolas and some of what they've done in their New Years after the war... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Appendix A: III : Durin's Folk: The Return of the King

..."After the fall of Sauron, Gimli brought south a part of the Dwarf-folk of Erebor, and he became Lord of the Glittering Caves. He and his people did great works in Gondor and Rohan. For Minas Tirith they forged gates of Mithril and steel to replace those broken by the Witch-king. Legolas his friend also brought south Elves... ...of Greenwood, and they dwelt in Ithilien, and it became once again the fairest country in all the westlands.

But when King Elessar gave up his life Legolas followed at last the desire of his heart and sailed over Sea."

[Here follows one of the last notes in the Red Book]

..."We have heard tell that Legolas took Gimli Glóin's with him because of their great friendship, greater than any that has been between Elf and Dwarf... ...it is strange indeed: that a Dwarf should be willing to leave Middle-earth for any love, or that the Eldar should receive him, or that the Lords of the West should permit it. But it is said that Gimli went also out of desire to see again the beauty of Galadriel; and it may be that she, being mighty among the Eldar, obtained this grace for him. More cannot be said of this matter."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 2, 12:47pm

Post #40 of 43 (940 views)
Shortcut
It's time for even more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's a Book Spoiler that catches Gandalf doing a little eaves-dropping of his own... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From Out of the Frying-Pan Into the Fire: The Hobbit

... "I will tell you what Gandalf heard, though Bilbo did not understand it. The Wargs and the goblins often helped one another in wicked deeds. Goblins do not usually venture very far from their mountains, unless they are driven out and are looking for new homes, or are marching to war... ...But in those days they sometimes used to go on raids, especially to get food or slaves to work for them. Then they often got the Wargs to help and shared the plunder with them. Sometimes they rode on wolves like men do on horses. Now it seemed that a great goblin-raid had been planned for that very night. The Wargs had come to meet the goblins...
... ...In spite of the dangers of this far land bold men had of late been making their way back into it from the South, cutting down trees, and building themselves places to live in among the more pleasant woods in the valleys and along the river-shores. There were many of them, and they were brave and well-armed, and even the Wargs dared not attack them if there were many together... ...But now they had planned with the goblins' help to come by night upon some of the villages nearest the mountains. If their plan had been carried out, there would have been none left there next day; all would have been killed except the few the goblins kept from the wolves and carried back as prisoners to their caves.
... This was dreadful talk to listen to, not only because of the brave woodmen and their wives and children, but also because of the danger which now threatened Gandalf and his friends. The Wargs were angry and puzzled at finding them here in their very meeting-place. They thought they were friends of the woodmen, and were come to spy on them... ...So the Wargs had no intention of going away and letting the people up the trees escape, at any rate not until morning. And long before that, they said, goblin soldiers would be coming down from the mountains; and goblins can climb trees, or cut them down.
... Now you can understand why Gandalf, listening to their growling and yelping, began to be dreadfully afraid, wizard though he was, and to feel that he were in a very bad place... ...All the same he was not going to let them have it all their own way, though he could not do very much stuck up in a tall tree with wolves all round on the ground below."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Cirashala
Tol Eressea

Jan 2, 5:17pm

Post #41 of 43 (931 views)
Shortcut
This does beg the question [In reply to] Can't Post

how did Legolas know Gimli could go? Or did he simply just bring him and figure that the Straight Path would still be available to him? Or did Ulmo visit him and let him know? Or did he just "feel it in his heart" that Gimli could go with him?

Alas! So many questions, yet so little time!

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

My historical novel print and kindle version

My historical novels ebook version compatible with all ereaders

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jan 2, 6:05pm

Post #42 of 43 (920 views)
Shortcut
This option gets my vote [In reply to] Can't Post

Or did he just "feel it in his heart" that Gimli could go with him?

But you're right, he goes about the whole journey as if he has total confidence they'll find the Straight Path and not just cruise around the world. So he has foreknowledge of some kind.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jan 3, 12:43am

Post #43 of 43 (898 views)
Shortcut
My vote [In reply to] Can't Post

Legolas knew it in his heart. He also knew how pure Gimli's love and honour for Galadriel was/is... and he knew how incredible the gift request and the gift given was. Gimli had the blessing of Galadriel... and who knows what discussions there were before the Elf and Dwarf left the Company and ventured into Fangorn? I'm sure the grace of Galadriel would go a long, long way.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.