Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Merry Yuletide (Modern Era)!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 20 2019, 2:14pm

Post #1 of 6 (1479 views)
Shortcut
Merry Yuletide (Modern Era)! Can't Post

We've almost reached the winter solstice (in the Northern Hemisphere) so it must be yuletide. December 20 through 25 works for me, as this means that yuletide ends with Christmas.

If you prefer to celebrate the six days of yuletide at the change of the year as was done in the Shire Reckoning: Start yuletide on December 29; observe year's end on December 31 (as we do not use the Hobbits' Yuledays); celebrate the new year on January 1; and end yuletide on January 3. This might be especially preferable for those folks dwelling in the Southern Hemisphere who are observing the summer solstice.

#FidelityToTolkien

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Dec 20 2019, 2:17pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 20 2019, 11:33pm

Post #2 of 6 (1447 views)
Shortcut
Traditional Yuletide/Christmastide a few days away. [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess converting the six-day yuletide of the Hobbits to the modern era is one thing, but the more familiar traditions involving the twelve days of Christmas are another matter. Most of those traditions start Christmastide on either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day.

#FidelityToTolkien

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2019, 11:13am

Post #3 of 6 (1313 views)
Shortcut
I guess as Yule was such a strong tradition [In reply to] Can't Post

for the ancient and Germanic peoples, it's only natural that Tolkien would want to incorporate it into Middle Earth in some way. It has immense potential for brightening up the dark times of midwinter. Here in my little bit of the northern hemisphere I've just spent an hour working in the garden! It's mild and calm and not very wintery at all, today. I'm still looking forward to the days lengthening, though! Yule blessings to all.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 24 2019, 1:08pm

Post #4 of 6 (1219 views)
Shortcut
Happy First Night! [In reply to] Can't Post

A merry Christmastide to all.

#FidelityToTolkien

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 25 2019, 2:30pm

Post #5 of 6 (1184 views)
Shortcut
Happy First Night :D [In reply to] Can't Post

A Happy and Healthy wish for one and all!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 25 2019, 3:32pm

Post #6 of 6 (1182 views)
Shortcut
And... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that makes this Second Night! Merry Christmas and season's greetings.

#FidelityToTolkien

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.