Feanor
Other (please state who)
View Results (44 votes)

Shiva

Mar 14 2007, 4:12am

Post #1 of 32 (1111 views)
Shortcut
A silm poll Can't Post

Which character from the Silm intrigued you the most and why?

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 14 2007, 4:19am

Post #2 of 32 (762 views)
Shortcut
I suppose it was Luthien [In reply to] Can't Post

because of all the new characters in the Silmarillion, she's the one whose name we saw the most in LOTR. I wanted to see how much Aragorn and Arwen's relationship echoed that of Beren and Luthien, and just how beautiful this Luthien was for Arwen to be considered Luthien reborn.

I was most disappointed by Galadriel because after the surprise of coming across a character who is actually *in* LOTR, we didn't get to see her much.

Shiva

Mar 14 2007, 4:53am

Post #3 of 32 (741 views)
Shortcut
I voted for... [In reply to] Can't Post

Finrod Felagund because he seems like a very trustworthy, wise, and stong elf. He becomes friends with man, and kept his oath, even though it lead to his death.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Mar 14 2007, 5:24am

Post #4 of 32 (769 views)
Shortcut
So much genius, so much talent. So wasted.\ [In reply to] Can't Post

Radhruin
Rohan

Mar 14 2007, 6:35am

Post #5 of 32 (743 views)
Shortcut
A great poll idea, but wondering [In reply to] Can't Post

Why Turin wasn't included? But I suppose there must be a cut-off somewhere. Turin would have had my vote, as it is I voted for Feanor.

Patty
Immortal

Mar 14 2007, 8:03am

Post #6 of 32 (741 views)
Shortcut
I voted "other" [In reply to] Can't Post

Because my vote would have been for Tuor. My big hope is that one day Tuor and the Fall of Gondolin will get the whole book treatment that the Children of Hurin is about to get.

Morwen
Rohan

Mar 14 2007, 12:48pm

Post #7 of 32 (757 views)
Shortcut
Luthien [In reply to] Can't Post

Mostly because of the Aragorn/Arwen link with LoTR, although had Turn, Morwen or Neinor been on your list I might have chosen one of them instead. The parts of the Sil that I found the most intriguing were the ones with some connection to LoTR. The Sil probably isn't a book I would have chosen to read if LoTR hadn't made me hungry for any and all stories of Tolkien's world. The whole Turin story is fascinating, but really I liked the Unfinished Tales version better than the Silmarillion account.

Shiva

Mar 14 2007, 3:59pm

Post #8 of 32 (748 views)
Shortcut
Sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

With the sheer amount of literary poetry contained in the Silm there has to be a cut off line somewhere. Everyone knows that there are a LOT of characters, and its just not possible to include them all. It was just intended to be a general poll. I included the "other" option to encourage some debate. I didn't mean to offend anyone and especially not to waste Tolkien's great work Elizabeth. I just thought it would be interesting to have a Silm poll as I have not yet seen one here.

SandWitch King
Rohan

Mar 14 2007, 6:12pm

Post #9 of 32 (719 views)
Shortcut
See . . . I thought there was a typo [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought was voting on who was most SLIM!

Kidding! sorta Blush

diedye
Grey Havens

Mar 14 2007, 6:38pm

Post #10 of 32 (743 views)
Shortcut
I picked Luthien... [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the love story of Beren and Luthien.

But I have to say, I am more interested in the Valar and their battles with Melkor.

What I would like to see incorporated into the Sil is some of the stuff from HoMe and UT, like the story of Aldarion and Erendis, and the Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth.

elvenhobbit
Rohan

Mar 14 2007, 7:01pm

Post #11 of 32 (707 views)
Shortcut
Luthien... [In reply to] Can't Post

because of the reference to the song of the passing of Luthien, and then in the appendices I saw the basic outline of the passing and then the reference and comparison to Arwen.

-e_H-

ringhead91
Rivendell

Mar 14 2007, 7:57pm

Post #12 of 32 (734 views)
Shortcut
Maeglin and Turin NT [In reply to] Can't Post

Menelwyn
Rohan

Mar 14 2007, 9:03pm

Post #13 of 32 (738 views)
Shortcut
Finrod [In reply to] Can't Post

He's probably my favorite Elf in all of Tolkien. His dealings with mortals intrigue me more than those of the Elves who actually marry Men. I love the story of how he first found Men, I like his dealings with Barahir and Beren, and (not the Sil proper, I know) his dialogue with Andreth is absolutely fascinating. And you've gotta love someone who faces Sauron in single combat, and who kills a wolf with his bare hands after being imprisoned for some long period of time.

That being said, I could almost as easily have gone with Luthien or Feanor too. Luthien is interesting in that she turns so many assumptions on their heads. She is no damsel in distress; she's usually the one who has to save her boyfriend. And she's another one who faces Sauron and even Morgoth, and argues Mandos himself away from his normal procedures. That's certainly impressive.

I like Feanor for his tragedy--the one who is the greatest, but who falls the farthest. And yet, in doing so, he somehow manages to do good too!

If you had put Tuor on the list I would have had a more difficult time, because Tuor is my favorite Man in the Sil. That's a story I really wish Tolkien had finished properly!

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Mar 16 2007, 6:29pm

Post #14 of 32 (712 views)
Shortcut
oh I thought it said a SLIM poll... [In reply to] Can't Post

And I thought it was a continutation of the whole 'less filling v tastes great' thing! Wink But um, ok, I'll place my vote... Feanor for me!

(This post was edited by greendragon on Mar 16 2007, 6:29pm)

Annael
Immortal

Mar 17 2007, 4:08pm

Post #15 of 32 (728 views)
Shortcut
Finrod for me too [In reply to] Can't Post

wolfranger
Bree

Mar 17 2007, 6:31pm

Post #16 of 32 (691 views)
Shortcut
I agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

While I very much enjoyed the Silmarillion, I always tend towards what's familiar.

Thus: Luthien

wolfranger
Bree

Mar 17 2007, 6:32pm

Post #17 of 32 (688 views)
Shortcut
Me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

I read this that way at first:

*looks twice at poll title* Wait... what?

Cheers,
wolfranger

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Mar 17 2007, 7:05pm

Post #18 of 32 (714 views)
Shortcut
Finrod for me three. [In reply to] Can't Post

Galadriel's brother, abandonment by his love when he left Aman, friendliness to Men, and the wonderful duel with Sauron: what's not to like? I especially loved the poem Tolkien wrote about Finrod and Sauron, very hypnotic, almost like a spell itself.

Actually, Galadriel is still my favorite, but I assume from the choices you gave us you meant for us to pick someone who wasn't in LOTR.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 17 2007, 9:41pm

Post #19 of 32 (722 views)
Shortcut
Me four. [In reply to] Can't Post

Finrod is a fascinating character.

The other character I'd really like to know more about is Turgon. Actually, anything to do with Gondolin. Unfinished Tales takes us right up to the gates, but no farther....argh!

Patty
Immortal

Mar 19 2007, 3:45pm

Post #20 of 32 (679 views)
Shortcut
Oh, Turgon--yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

As I said, the whole Fall of Gondolin substory, but even more about Turgon. And Idril.

Meira

Mar 20 2007, 4:41pm

Post #21 of 32 (669 views)
Shortcut
Other [In reply to] Can't Post

Morwen. I have thought Turin's mother to be an intruding character since I was a little girl.

Morwen
Rohan

Mar 21 2007, 1:47am

Post #22 of 32 (668 views)
Shortcut
Did I hear my name? [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, that Morwen.Wink

Seriously, she's one of my favorites, too.

I love her courage, her determinaton and her independence.

Lossefalme
Gondor

Mar 22 2007, 7:58pm

Post #23 of 32 (694 views)
Shortcut
I had to vote for a pair... [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the story of Beren and Luthien, so I chose both. So sue me.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Apr 7 2007, 10:02am

Post #24 of 32 (676 views)
Shortcut
The most intriguing was for me Elwë Thingol, because [In reply to] Can't Post

I always wondered how the Elf a Melian fell in love with - that is, someone who must have been truly an exceptional being - could become so mean and arrogant and heartless as to behave later in the way he behaved towards not only Beren, but also his own supposedly cherished daughter Luthien, and even actually his supposedly beloved Maïa wife Melian, who still tried to advise him from her own loving wisdom and foresight, but whom he didn't not heed at all... Shocked

If you would have asked about my favorite character, that would have been quite different, but itwas 'the most intriguing', so I stuck to that only... Smile

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Apr 7 2007, 10:30am

Post #25 of 32 (698 views)
Shortcut
Finrod's dialogue with Andreth... [In reply to] Can't Post

All that you say afterwards about some other characters I could have said as well, but what you say about Finrod rings even more close to what I myself would have said, if the question had been ' who is my favorite character', not 'the most intriguing one:
Finrod is indeed also my favorite Elf, the noblest of all in my eyes, for all the reasons you mentioned, and particularly because of this extraordinarily moving and inspiring dialogue with Andreth which you are the only one to mention here.
The very topic Finrod and Andreth talk about is so deeply important for a better understanding of how our great JRRT's thoughts evolved even after the publication of LOTR, about the ultimate purpose of Eru in creating both of those two species who are the Eruhini, His very own Children, as much as the Ainur (and among them the Valar of course) are.
This topic is one I am myself studying in depth with keen personal interest, as part as my overall research work about Evolution in general; I would love to find myself discussing one fine day that not so well-known yet 'Athrabeth' right on these New Boards, if only enough other people would be interested.
Do you think you would be one?... Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.