Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the almost-solstice reading thread!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 17 2019, 3:41pm

Post #1 of 4 (299 views)
Shortcut
It's the almost-solstice reading thread! Can't Post

While I'm happy to have returned to TORn, I'm sad that almost the first news I saw when I logged on was about the passing of a.s. We were truly blessed by her presence among us.

I've been reading assiduously, no surprise there. First of all, I read---well, in pixels, not on paper---A Study in Scarlet Women by Sherry Thomas. This is the first in a series that very cleverly upends the Sherlock Holmes canon and fits it into a different, female, context. I'm looking forward to the rest of the stories.

I also pixeled Pomfret Towers by Angela Thirkell, an old-fashioned English comedy of manners rather like a cross between Jane Austen and P.G. Wodehouse. It's light as meringue, but served to pass several hours in airports and on airplanes very nicely.

On paper I read Cave of Bones by Anne Hillerman, the latest in her continuation of her father's mystery series. In this installment Bernie Manuelito, Chee, and Leaphorn are once again involved in interconnected investigations. Hillerman still occasionally writes with the flat voice of the newspaper reporter she once was, but the stories, characters, and Navajo setting continue to be entertaining.

I've listened to Another Thing to Fall by Laura Lippman, an installment in her Tess Monaghan private detective series. This time Tess is involved with a TV mini-series. Lippman spends almost too much time doing psychological profiles of all the characters, but it's all so well done I forgive her. Tongue

I also listened to The Comforts of a Muddy Saturday by Alexander McCall Smith, one of his Isabel Dalhousie series. I'm sure I read this in paper awhile back, but all the stories tend to blend together in my mind---it's actually Isabel's thinking process and evaluations of life and the world which draw me to the series.

Whew!

So what have you been reading?

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Annael
Immortal

Dec 17 2019, 5:23pm

Post #2 of 4 (250 views)
Shortcut
The Throne of the Five Winds [In reply to] Can't Post

rather than type out my own thoughts, I found a review (from Publisher's Weekly) that captures what I think:

Emmett debuts with a lackluster, exhaustingly overwrought epic fantasy inspired by East Asian cultures. . . . connections hint at a love triangle but are never adequately developed even as individual friendships. . . . Emmettís convoluted background history and descriptions leave out important information and sometimes interrupt the scene, delaying the progress of what might otherwise have been a strong tale of intrigue. An overwhelming number of characters creates a dense story with an exciting final chapter that arrives much too late.

Yet somehow I stuck it out (well, I'm only on page 445 . . .) Not sure if I'll pick up the next installment when it arrives. I'm reminded a bit of C.J. Cherryh in that clearly a whole lot of meaning is attached to the smallest (and sometimes omitted) details, but most of the time I'm left wondering "wha . . .?"

Thinking it's been too long since I did my once-annual re-read of LOTR. Used to read it over every Christmas.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around Ö The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 17 2019, 8:05pm

Post #3 of 4 (196 views)
Shortcut
Deep in the final quarter of Nemesis Games (book five of The Expanse series) [In reply to] Can't Post

It started off more slowly than book four but the second half has more than made up for it. Nemesis Games has arguably the most profound development of the book series so far - the game has most definitely changed for the human race.

I am so glad I started this series. Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

My original fantasy writing

My LOTR fan-fiction

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 18 2019, 1:38am

Post #4 of 4 (115 views)
Shortcut
That means there's hope for Season 5. Yay! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.