Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Our old friend a.s. (an seileachan) has sailed West
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 14 2019, 3:53pm

Post #1 of 28 (739 views)
Shortcut
Our old friend a.s. (an seileachan) has sailed West Can't Post

A year ago last May I posted that she was facing a serious medical challenge. It was glioblastoma, the most virulent type of brain cancer.

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=945461;search_string=a.s.;#945461

She fought valiantly, partly for the sake of her disabled daughter who had Down Syndrome. (She has two other daughters as well.) Her daughter was stricken with something like pneumonia about a month ago and sailed West before our friend did. Her remaining daughters are, of course, devastated.

Her nickname is next to mine on the TORn Map, and I have always thought of her every time I pass by it. I finally spoke to her on the phone last summer. In all our years of online friendship, it was the first time I ever heard her voice.

Here's a sample of her wisdom: http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_threaded;post=174328;so=ASC;sb=post_latest_reply;#174328

If you remember her, or even if you don't, I invite you to stand and face West and raise a glass to her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 14 2019, 4:04pm

Post #2 of 28 (630 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for letting us know Aunt Dora. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am saddened to learn that Mary has lost her battle and my condolences go out to her family and friends. She occupied a special place on the forums.

#FidelityToTolkien

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 14 2019, 4:06pm

Post #3 of 28 (629 views)
Shortcut
Oh no. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm just now getting back to my keyboard after a couple of weeks away and am so, so sorry to see this bad news first of all. She faced the last couple of years with such courage and good humor I kept hoping she could delay her visit to the Grey Havens.

Here's to her arrival on the far green shore, and a happy reunion with her daughter. To a.s.!

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Dec 14 2019, 4:38pm

Post #4 of 28 (614 views)
Shortcut
How very sad. Yes, I do remember her - [In reply to] Can't Post

and will raise a glass to her tonight. Sorry to hear of a double tragedy hitting that family, they must be hurting - for their sister and now their mother. They'll be relieved to see the end of 2019.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 14 2019, 5:07pm

Post #5 of 28 (611 views)
Shortcut
Sad news indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember a.s. and always looked forward to her posts, which were quite thoughtful--and thanks for listing just one of them, where she really shines through the screen and keyboard. She was a good soul, and we were lucky to have her here.

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Dec 14 2019, 5:11pm

Post #6 of 28 (607 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for posting, Aunt Dora [In reply to] Can't Post

I got to meet a.s./Mary once, years ago, at the moot Entmaiden hosted in Chicago. We all had a delicious dinner at Entmaiden’s, and visited the Tolkien exhibit at the Museum of Natural History. Mary and I shared the experience of parenting a child with Down Syndrome, and I treasured her words of wisdom in that world as much as her writing about LotR. She was a regular poster on Facebook, commenting on books and current events with vivid , witty expression and passion. She was loving and fun-loving and wicked smart. I admired her, and have already been missing her voice since she’s been unable to post. A toast to Mary and the far green country, under a swift sunrise.

Where's Frodo?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 14 2019, 5:31pm

Post #7 of 28 (607 views)
Shortcut
*facing West.. in tears* [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for letting us know. I've dreaded this... praying for her every night since we found out. She is that Star in the West I see on clear nights... and I'll always remember her.

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 14 2019, 6:43pm

Post #8 of 28 (595 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad that I had the chance to know her on TORN. [In reply to] Can't Post

She was a lovely lady and I enjoyed reading her posts. She brightened our boards.

Many blessings to her and her three daughters.

Heart

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

My original fantasy writing

My LOTR fan-fiction

Cirashala
Tol Eressea

Dec 14 2019, 7:10pm

Post #9 of 28 (590 views)
Shortcut
I am sorry to hear this :( [In reply to] Can't Post

I always loved her posts Unsure

May the Lord be with her family in the coming days, and I raise a glass of sparkling cider to the West in her memory Heart

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

My historical novel print and kindle version

My historical novels ebook version compatible with all ereaders

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 14 2019, 7:59pm

Post #10 of 28 (589 views)
Shortcut
I will raise a glass to a very special lady. [In reply to] Can't Post

I interacted with a s quite a lot on- and off-board in earlier TORn days, and every interaction was a delight. She truly was a gem. Since her diagnosis it's been a privilege to be able to follow her on the Caring Bridge site. When she stopped being able to post there, I thought her passing might not be far away.

A beautiful spirit; a diamond who will continue to shine in the memories of all who knew and loved her.

Thank you for letting us know, Aunt Dora. I'm posting through tears.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Dec 15 2019, 1:58am

Post #11 of 28 (552 views)
Shortcut
Oh, oh no. I remember and have missed her [In reply to] Can't Post

Glass raised, prayer said.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 15 2019, 2:51am

Post #12 of 28 (546 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for letting us know, Aunt Dora [In reply to] Can't Post

She was ill for so long, and her passing is a grief to us, but this is so sad, her family losing both her and her daughter in such a short time!

She was a lovely, remarkable person. I and other TORnfolks met her years ago when MythCon was held at a college in my state, she had made a special trip to attend. She has been greatly missed around here, and now there is another empty chair in the Reading Room. Unsure

*raises mug* May it be, that she and her daughter have found themselves at the open door of a certain Inn, being welcomed inside by familiar faces, who have drinks poured and waiting for them...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 15 2019, 3:14am

Post #13 of 28 (536 views)
Shortcut
I remember her well. [In reply to] Can't Post

She was always a delight to have around the boards and will be very much missed. Heart

Silverlode

Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.

sador
Half-elven

Dec 15 2019, 6:54am

Post #14 of 28 (514 views)
Shortcut
I've responded in the RR [In reply to] Can't Post

Squire has written a very touching tribute there. (He didn't mention the smiley wars, though).
But I did not know her daughter had also passed away. What a tragedy!

I know she hasn't been around for a long time, and had followed a bit (less diligently than I ought to have) her on Caring Bridge. But still, it feels empty and hollow now that she had finally succumbed.
For a long time, posting something on TORn became for me less a preaching to the whole world than writing to a select crowd whose opinions I care about. I think less about whether my post gets 50 or 600 views, than of the special people I hope are reading and would love to know what they think, or how they feel, about what I wrote.
a.s. was one of the people I have always had in mind whenever I posted something - like weaver, and hobbitlove whenever I posted on the Movie boards (drogo was not, as he had been less and less active since I've joined); and now they have gone for ever, and the world feels so cold and empty!

Well, at least gone for ever from this mode of existence.

I remember one discussion, in which somebody asked how to describe the main theme of The Lord of the Rings in one word, or phrase, she replied: "Loss". I could not find this post in a short search, but this is one (relatively recent) post in which she addressed this topic.

And regarding feelings of loss this is a post she wrote, consoling another member of TORn for the loss of her mother.
I wish I could do half as well. But all I can say to those who knew her personally, as a family member or friend, is: I envy you for the privilege that you had.

Now Mary (a.s.) is far beyond the pain of this world. And I hope those she have left behind will find the courage, love, and wisdom to carry on without her.

Thinking about things I don't understand

Annael
Immortal

Dec 15 2019, 4:38pm

Post #15 of 28 (476 views)
Shortcut
oh gosh [In reply to] Can't Post

I do remember her. What sad news . . . I wonder if she felt more at ease about her own passing after her daughter went, knowing that she wouldn't be left behind?

I don't always notice when people stop posting, but it occurred to me a week or two ago that we don't see much of you these days, Aunt Dora. Everything okay?

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

Patty
Immortal

Dec 15 2019, 8:16pm

Post #16 of 28 (459 views)
Shortcut
So sad to hear this, Dora... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks.

Permanent address: Into the West

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 15 2019, 10:22pm

Post #17 of 28 (446 views)
Shortcut
Awwwww! [In reply to] Can't Post

Very sad news. I also followed her posts on Caring Bridge when she made them. The contributions she made both on and off the boards over the years will be sorely missed, as will her intelligence, wit and warmth. I raise a glass to a first-class, intelligent, wonderful woman who enriched us all while we were lucky enough to have her here. Heart

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 16 2019, 2:25am

Post #18 of 28 (433 views)
Shortcut
Very tragic. [In reply to] Can't Post

A brilliant and discerning mind has been lost. She was one of my most favorite TORnsibs. I admired and respected her a great deal. My deepest sympathies to her family.

Character is what we do on the internet when we think no one knows who we are.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 16 2019, 2:08pm

Post #19 of 28 (396 views)
Shortcut
I'm fine. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've just been hijacked by facebook. I see you there, but I know facebook uses weird algorithms and we don't see everything our friends post. I'm glad there's a facebook TORn group; these old boards are pretty creaky and sometimes I have trouble getting them to load.

GNU Terry Pratchett
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

cats16
Valinor

Dec 16 2019, 8:24pm

Post #20 of 28 (371 views)
Shortcut
Very sad to hear [In reply to] Can't Post

Thinking of a.s.'s friends and family, both here and elsewhere. Heart

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Annael
Immortal

Dec 17 2019, 3:10am

Post #21 of 28 (336 views)
Shortcut
and I [In reply to] Can't Post

follow TORN on FB but for some reason almost never see those posts! Glad you're fine.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Dec 17 2019, 2:25pm

Post #22 of 28 (312 views)
Shortcut
Well, crud. [In reply to] Can't Post

A pillar gone, and our community lessened.

I raise a glass in tribute to you, a.s., I hope you are smiling and enjoying all the West has to offer.

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Lissuin
Valinor

Dec 18 2019, 3:13am

Post #23 of 28 (275 views)
Shortcut
You always knew when you saw that avatar [In reply to] Can't Post

that something smart, well-considered or sassy - and likely all three at once - would be written there. Enjoy this next leg of your journey, Mary.

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Dec 18 2019, 6:33am

Post #24 of 28 (259 views)
Shortcut
she was so thoughtful [In reply to] Can't Post

sending me messages even when her own life was in turmoil

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Dec 19 2019, 5:22pm

Post #25 of 28 (212 views)
Shortcut
What? No! [In reply to] Can't Post

a.s. seemed so spunky and youthful. Oh...

Thank you for sharing this news Auntie. There’s no finer gift than to be remembered.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.