Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Middle-earth TV Series Discussion:
Ema Horvath Joins Cast Of Amazon Series
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

mushroom

Dec 11 2019, 8:27am

Post #1 of 28 (937 views)
Shortcut
Ema Horvath Joins Cast Of Amazon Series Can't Post

https://deadline.com/2019/12/ema-horvath-cast-the-lord-of-the-rings-amazon-series-1202806025/

Mari D.
Rivendell

Dec 11 2019, 11:19am

Post #2 of 28 (883 views)
Shortcut
She's very beautiful! Maybe an elf, or a Númenorean queen? [In reply to] Can't Post

Btw, I wonder where these news sites always get their information from? :D And why do they get it in regular intervals? :D

Fleuz
Lorien

Dec 11 2019, 12:56pm

Post #3 of 28 (863 views)
Shortcut
It's journalism [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Btw, I wonder where these news sites always get their information from? :D And why do they get it in regular intervals? :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entertainment_journalism

Wink

fantasywind
Bree

Dec 11 2019, 2:32pm

Post #4 of 28 (841 views)
Shortcut
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

I won't even pretend to know who this woman is, never heard of :) and I don't know whether I even saw her in anything. A good actress at least? What character she supposedly will play is also a mystery so... let's hope it's not Tauriel 2.0 :), but jokes aside I can't say whether it's good or bad but so far no casting has actually been confirmed by Amazon so...:).

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 11 2019, 3:11pm

Post #5 of 28 (831 views)
Shortcut
Thanks mushroom! [In reply to] Can't Post

I suppose we need to treat this as rumor for now, as this casting hasn't been confirmed by any official source. My guess would be that Ms. Horvath would be playing a relatively young Elf.

#FidelityToTolkien

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Dec 11 2019, 3:12pm)

Althoun
Lorien

Dec 11 2019, 4:49pm

Post #6 of 28 (815 views)
Shortcut
The rumoured cast members thus far... [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.reddit.com/...st_members_thus_far/

Four of them look to me like something out of a teen drama......including the new actress, Ms. Hovarth.

Can we have some more, like, very late 20s / thirties / forties people please?

Else I'm going to start fearing it will be CW-esque.....

(This post was edited by Althoun on Dec 11 2019, 5:00pm)

Solicitr
Rohan

Dec 11 2019, 6:08pm

Post #7 of 28 (786 views)
Shortcut
I [In reply to] Can't Post

am always leery of a series with a cast that's way too pretty- it creates the impression (usually justified) that the casting was based on looks far more than talent or fitness for the role; and that overall the producers are more concerned with surface appearances than conveying substance. I sure as hell don't want this to become "Middle-earth 90210!"

(This post was edited by Solicitr on Dec 11 2019, 6:09pm)

Mari D.
Rivendell

Dec 11 2019, 7:16pm

Post #8 of 28 (770 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if the age is the producers planning ahead ... [In reply to] Can't Post

If these actors are to play long-lived characters in the series, it would be realistic within the fictional world for them to look young for a loooong time, or for ever (Elves). Who knows how long filming all the seasons will take. Some of them may need to look the same over the course of many episodes, maybe (some) even of all seasons. And maybe spin-offs! So imho it makes sense to cast young people for these roles.

About the beauty aspect, now that you mention it, I find it a little disconcerting as well that so far there is no actor that's not flawlessly beautiful except maybe the villain, as he is older. If I have to, though, I personally can live well with a main cast of beauties, too, in the LotR movies all the fellowship were depicted rather handsome, except maybe Gimli and Gandalf. Even the rugged Strider looked quite nice at the coronation. I enjoyed the movies regardless. So, not a negative in and of itself (if it doesn't bode ill concerning the plot, as you are wondering). More realism I would appreciate though Tongue

(This post was edited by Mari D. on Dec 11 2019, 7:19pm)

Ataahua
Superuser

Dec 11 2019, 7:41pm

Post #9 of 28 (763 views)
Shortcut
Well, I had that same fear regarding the first (recent) Star Trek movie. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I sure as hell don't want this to become "Middle-earth 90210!"

But the cast and the story turned out to be excellent. I guess it's the same with this TV series: the success of it will largely be down to the script.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

My original fantasy writing

My LOTR fan-fiction

Archestratie
Rivendell

Dec 11 2019, 8:13pm

Post #10 of 28 (747 views)
Shortcut
Heh [In reply to] Can't Post

With makeup and prosthetics they could make anyone look like anything. She could be an orc for all we know, but her features to me suggest more Numenorian than anything else.

My Low-Magic Fantasy Novel on eBook/hardback: The Huntsman and the She-Wolf

The Huntsman and the She-Wolf on audio Book.

Archestratie
Rivendell

Dec 11 2019, 8:15pm

Post #11 of 28 (743 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
am always leery of a series with a cast that's way too pretty- it creates the impression (usually justified) that the casting was based on looks far more than talent or fitness for the role; and that overall the producers are more concerned with surface appearances than conveying substance. I sure as hell don't want this to become "Middle-earth 90210!"

Dude, everyone looks beautiful in their glamourshots. Don't get thrown off by that.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Dec 11 2019, 8:59pm

Post #12 of 28 (735 views)
Shortcut
Will Poulter [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't speak to Kavenagh, Horvath or Baldry's talents (or lack thereof), but Poulter is pretty strong from what I've seen of his work.

"It is my duty to fight" - Mulan

Cirashala
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2019, 9:03pm

Post #13 of 28 (732 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Poulter is a very, very good actor and is familiar with the fantasy genre as well. Yeah, he looks like the spitting image of a younger Elrond, but he is very talented as well, and should be a good casting decision.

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

My historical novel print and kindle version

My historical novels ebook version compatible with all ereaders

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Dec 11 2019, 9:06pm

Post #14 of 28 (730 views)
Shortcut
I don't know. [In reply to] Can't Post

The only names I recognize are Mawle because he was in 2007's Persuasion as Captain Harry Harville and Benjen Stark in Game of Thrones, and I mostly know Poulter as an annoying kid in The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Trader.

I always follow my job through.

Cirashala
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2019, 9:08pm

Post #15 of 28 (727 views)
Shortcut
Eustace was supposed to be annoying ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

So Poulter portrayed Eustace perfectly. You see at the end of VotDT that his personality had done a complete 180, and Poulter nailed it.

So I wouldn't dismiss his talents just yet simply because Eustace was annoying Wink

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Dec 11 2019, 9:10pm

Post #16 of 28 (724 views)
Shortcut
True. [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a theoretical adaptation project that voted to cast Tom Hiddleston as Fingolfin.

I always follow my job through.

Cirashala
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2019, 9:57pm

Post #17 of 28 (706 views)
Shortcut
I saw some photos someone shopped with Hiddleston as an elf [In reply to] Can't Post

He could actually pull it off really well. Wow...

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

Happy reading everyone!

Eruonen
Valinor

Dec 11 2019, 10:51pm

Post #18 of 28 (696 views)
Shortcut
The beauty of the elves is a key part of their profile. [In reply to] Can't Post

Casting someone like her is expected if she is to play one....if in a different role then so be it. They are always described as the fairest in Middle Earth.

Dunadan of North Arnor
Bree

Dec 12 2019, 12:43pm

Post #19 of 28 (566 views)
Shortcut
Certainly disconcerting... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
About the beauty aspect, now that you mention it, I find it a little disconcerting as well that so far there is no actor that's not flawlessly beautiful except maybe the villain

...considering the villain, aka Annatar, should be the most flawlessly beautiful of all!

Dunadan of North Arnor
Bree

Dec 12 2019, 1:09pm

Post #20 of 28 (566 views)
Shortcut
Egad, no! [In reply to] Can't Post

If we’re going down the same road here as the post-2009 ‘JJ-verse’ abomination, responsible for leaving Star Trek little more than a decomposing corpse where a beloved, iconic, and canonical Secondary World, and it’s devoted fandom, once thrived, then I’m out and God help us all.

Frown

Solicitr
Rohan

Dec 12 2019, 3:49pm

Post #21 of 28 (539 views)
Shortcut
Amen! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If we’re going down the same road here as the post-2009 ‘JJ-verse’ abomination, responsible for leaving Star Trek little more than a decomposing corpse where a beloved, iconic, and canonical Secondary World, and it’s devoted fandom, once thrived, then I’m out and God help us all.

Frown

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Dec 12 2019, 4:43pm

Post #22 of 28 (530 views)
Shortcut
Tell us how you really feel! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't really disagree with you, but I still found your comment amusing in its vehemence.

I'm not really worried at this show following the same road as the Star Trek "reboot". I don't think the situation is analogous.

I have other worries.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Cirashala
Tol Eressea

Dec 12 2019, 6:29pm

Post #23 of 28 (508 views)
Shortcut
Could he be Ar-pharazon though? [In reply to] Can't Post

He's also a Second Age villain...

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

Happy reading everyone!

Archestratie
Rivendell

Dec 12 2019, 8:07pm

Post #24 of 28 (485 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Frown

Glad no one jumps to conclusions on this board. You guys are a riot - getting angry that attractive people are being cast in a TV show. Is this your first experience with mass media?

Dunadan of North Arnor
Bree

Dec 12 2019, 10:28pm

Post #25 of 28 (459 views)
Shortcut
Is this your first experience [In reply to] Can't Post

of a tongue planted firmly in cheek? :)

(This post was edited by Dunadan of North Arnor on Dec 12 2019, 10:29pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.