Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Signum University Silmarillion Film Project Voting: Season 4

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Dec 10 2019, 10:55pm

Post #1 of 12 (1918 views)
Shortcut
Signum University Silmarillion Film Project Voting: Season 4 Can't Post

So voting for the Signum University Silmarillion Film Project cast members is open, and will stay open until Christmas; Voting Results will in all likelihood be discussed on January 2. I remember that a couple of people had some criticism of the process and wanted to give them a fair say.

Frame Casting Discussion Podcast; Frame centers around Third Age 2948, in the vicinity of Erebor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg61qp2-H2A&list=PLasMbZ4s5vIUVaZafURX-tAZ1arKCVoNc&index=39

Casting Discussion Podcast for Season 4; Events are the first 260 years of the First Age, from the Rising of the Sun to the Coming of Glaurung
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg61qp2-H2A&list=PLasMbZ4s5vIUVaZafURX-tAZ1arKCVoNc&index=39
Season 4 Casting Sub-forumhttps://forums.signumuniversity.org/index.php?forums/season-4.97/
Season 4 Casting nomineeshttps://forums.signumuniversity.org/index.php?forums/season-4-nominations.105/

Voting
https://form.jotformeu.com/93263635449364

I always follow my job through.

(This post was edited by ange1e4e5 on Dec 10 2019, 10:58pm)

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Dec 11 2019, 2:10am

Post #2 of 12 (1870 views)
Shortcut
Please post thoughts and questions. [In reply to] Can't Post

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Dec 15 2019, 12:59am

Post #3 of 12 (1732 views)
Shortcut
And if there are any problems, please state them. [In reply to] Can't Post

squire
Half-elven

Dec 16 2019, 4:02am

Post #4 of 12 (1684 views)
Shortcut
No problems, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

The project just doesn't interest me.

But to honor your admirable dedication to these projects, I'd like to mention that I, in my capacity as a reviewer for Tolkien Studies, recently read a long and scholarly article about the Tolkien fan culture's response to the rendering of Tolkien's work in the film medium. Mario Alberti, in "'The effort to translate': Fan Film Culture and the Works of J.R.R. Tolkien" (Journal of Tolkien Research, 3:3) identifies one of five activities in the film fan culture as "fancasting". Ah! I thought to myself. That sounds like our friend ange1e4e5 on TORn!

Here are the relevant paragraphs from Alberto on how he sees fancasting fitting into the larger Fan Film culture:

Similar to fan screenplays, fancasts are also intended to stand separate from any existing or potential film, and they also have more obvious similarities to other types of fannish productions. Most noticeably, fancasts are visually similar to edits, or modified graphics in which the fan-producer uses images, textures, and/or text to visualize, re-visualize, or stylize some aspect of the source material. Where an edit often presumes a primary-world individual as a secondary-world character, though, a fancast is intended to cast a primary-world individual in a secondary-world role. Put differently: an edit may simply use a photograph of an actor or model to visualize a character, but a fancast will identify the actor or model and then visually and/or textually explain the fan-producer’s “casting” choice.

Zorya’s Silmarillion fancast series (http://zorya.tumblr.com/tagged/*silm) offers several conclusive examples of how fancasts reference but stand independent of fan films while remaining dependent on audience participation. Each of Zorya’s fancasts incorporates photographs or film stills of an actor or model and uses commercial artwork, fanart, other photographs, and/or textures above a quote from Tolkien’s texts to identify the character being cast. While the caption and quote are unambiguously informative, the actor or model’s photograph is selected to reinforce something about the character, and the additional visual material often retells a part of Tolkien’s narrative about that character.

For example, in a fancast for Silmarillion character Idril, Zorya has edited stills of her casting choice, actress Scarlett Johansson, from period films to highlight golden hair and vaguely historical dresses. Then a link in the original post identifies the fanartist who depicted Idril, Tuor, and young Eärendil in the lower lefthand corner, while audiences might recognize the upper right panel as John Howe’s “Fall of Gondolin” and the unidentified dark-haired man as a reference to Idril’s cousin Maeglin (Fig. 4). Without only minimal material specifically from Tolkien, then, Zorya references an entire narrative for the character of Idril for knowledgeable audiences willing to spend a little extra time considering her fancast.

Fig. 4: fancast for Idril Celebrindal [http://zorya.tumblr.com/post/37966765825)
(screenshot by author)

What I got from this, with all respect, is that fan-casting is an activity that either grabs you, or it doesn't. I can't speak for others on these boards, but I've never been able to get into this aspect of fandom - I think I must be more verbal and less people-oriented, in that I would rather read and critique a fan-written screenplay than review a casting list of real-world actors for a screenplay that doesn't yet exist. To comment on the actors simply on the basis of the characters in the book(s), if no screenplay is available, seems futile. Actors don't read books, they speak lines - a screenplay for production is always going to be different from the source, and the right actor for one screenplay might be quite different from the right actor for another screenplay, for all that both scripts were adaptations of the same book.

I admire your enthusiasm and drive, even if I can't find myself playing the game here. Keep on casting!

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Dec 20 2019, 6:39pm

Post #5 of 12 (1507 views)
Shortcut
Well of course, this is only a small piece of the puzzle; the casting is the main place where outside participation is a thing. [In reply to] Can't Post

I’m not much of a collage type.

Have you seen the podcasts?

P.S. The polls close on Christmas Day, so if anyone’s interested, please vote now!

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Jan 16, 4:08am

Post #6 of 12 (729 views)
Shortcut
Season 4 casting results will be announced on January 30 at approximately 10pm EST, streaming on Twitch [In reply to] Can't Post

Link:

https://www.twitch.tv/signumu

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Jan 31, 7:13pm

Post #7 of 12 (430 views)
Shortcut
Results [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/544456421
When the video is posted on YouTube, I will be posting the link to that.
The Frame storyline concerns events surrounding Erebor in 2948 T.A., when Bilbo, Balin and Gandalf pay a visit to Erebor seven years after the events of The Hobbit.
If you're wondering who's been cast already, here's a link to an earlier thread:
https://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=940510;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;
Also see links in earlier posts in this thread to casting parameters and list.

Season 4 covers events from 1 F.A. to 260 F.A., when Glaurung appears for the first time.
Balin: Mandy PatinkinDain Ironfoot: Clive MantleDis: Kathy BatesBard: Michael ShannonRagna (Bard's wife): Hayley AtwellGalathil (gender-flipped from male to female): Olga KurylenkoThranduil: William Moseley
Gandalf: Gary Oldman
Main Story:
Glaurung: Jeff GoldblumThorondor: Daniel Day-LewisAnnael: Riz AhmedRhogrin (renamed from Rog): Jon BernthalCaranthir (was not cast in Season 3 alongside the other Sons of Feanor due to creative differences over physical appearance): Ed SkreinDiriel (wife of Curufin, mother of Celebrimbor): Oona ChaplinEdhellos (wife of Angrod, mother of Orodreth): Bridget ReganMeril (wife of Orodreth): Daisy RidleyEcthelion: Sebastian StanGlorfindel: Alex PettyferIdril: Nell Tiger Free

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Feb 2, 3:52pm

Post #8 of 12 (330 views)
Shortcut
Link to the Results on YouTube [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-wp5t4SWWA
And results in a (hopefully) better format.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/544456421
When the video is posted on YouTube, I will be posting the link to that.
The Frame storyline concerns events surrounding Erebor in 2948 T.A., when Bilbo, Balin and Gandalf pay a visit to Erebor seven years after the events of The Hobbit.
If you're wondering who's been cast already, here's a link to an earlier thread:
https://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=940510;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;
Also see links in earlier posts in this thread to casting parameters and list.

Season 4 covers events from 1 F.A. to 260 F.A., when Glaurung appears for the first time.
Balin: Mandy Patinkin

Dain Ironfoot: Clive Mantle

Dis: Kathy Bates

Bard: Michael Shannon

Ragna (Bard's wife): Hayley Atwell

Galathil (Celeborn's sibling, gender-flipped from male to female): Olga Kurylenko

Thranduil: William Moseley

Gandalf: Gary Oldman
Main Story:
Glaurung: Jeff Goldblum

Thorondor: Daniel Day-Lewis

Annael: Riz Ahmed

Rhogrin (renamed from Rog): Jon Bernthal

Caranthir (was not cast in Season 3 alongside the other Sons of Feanor due to creative differences over physical appearance): Ed Skrein

Diriel (wife of Curufin, mother of Celebrimbor): Oona Chaplin

Edhellos (wife of Angrod, mother of Orodreth): Bridget Regan

Meril (wife of Orodreth): Daisy Ridley

Ecthelion: Sebastian Stan

Glorfindel: Alex Pettyfer

Idril: Nell Tiger Free

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Feb 5, 5:36pm

Post #9 of 12 (205 views)
Shortcut
Thoughts? [In reply to] Can't Post

They would be greatly appreciated.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Feb 5, 7:20pm

Post #10 of 12 (201 views)
Shortcut
Okay. [In reply to] Can't Post

Since you asked, those casting ideas seem to go well beyond the First Age. I see many characters listed that would not exist until near the end of the Third Age. Might this be for a framing device? Kathy Bates as Dis is a surprise. I liked the idea presented for The One Ring Roleplaying Game that Bard might wed a merchant princess of Dorwinion (Una) with a dark, exotic beauty. For Una, I might cast someone like Nazanin Boniadi (Amazon's LotR series).

#FidelityToTolkien

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Feb 5, 8:45pm

Post #11 of 12 (194 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it is for a framing story. [In reply to] Can't Post

Previous framing devices have included Young Estel circa the events of The Hobbit in T.A. 2941 Season 1 dealt with the Beginning of Days, Arwen's friend going oversea to Valinor (Season 2 which concerned the Coming of the Elves to the Darkening of Valinor), Season 3 was a teenage Aragorn's days framing the Flight of the Noldor to the Rising of the Sun. Season 4's Framing Device deals with a seven-year anniversary of the Battle of Five Armies and the importance of coming together despite differences, with the main story on events from the rescue of Maedhros to the coming of Glaurung. The Season 4 Frame can be seen as a continuation of the last scene in The Hobbit, where Gandalf and Balin pay a visit to Bilbo We haven't decided on the framing story for Season 5, other than that the main events will cover the Coming of Men to the Dagor Bragollach. Season 6's frame will be telling the story of Aragorn and Arwen alongside Beren and Luthien.

ange1e4e5
Gondor

Feb 8, 4:19pm

Post #12 of 12 (105 views)
Shortcut
Anyone else? [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.