Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
FYI on TORN site rating by DuckDuckGo

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 5 2019, 11:28pm

Post #1 of 23 (1162 views)
Shortcut
FYI on TORN site rating by DuckDuckGo Can't Post

Just an FYI. I'm using DDG more as an alternative to Google since it has more privacy protection (though the search results really aren't as good). Anyway, I have it as an addon in Firefox, and I saw this popup this evening rating the TORN site. Good news that TORN received a better grade. IMO, TORN is an A+! I guess DDG needs more convincing.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 6 2019, 2:14am

Post #2 of 23 (1086 views)
Shortcut
LOL, looks like they value "privacy"! [In reply to] Can't Post

TORn is http, not https, so my Chrome browser has a "Not Secure" warning on it.

Does anyone know how a site goes to being "more secure"?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Dec 6 2019, 1:06pm

Post #3 of 23 (1055 views)
Shortcut
That's patently unfair [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, we've even got a mediocrity bench! That deserves at least a B-.

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 6 2019, 4:13pm

Post #4 of 23 (1038 views)
Shortcut
I think the pants threads undermine our credibility. // [In reply to] Can't Post

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2019, 1:30pm

Post #5 of 23 (865 views)
Shortcut
What is pants threads, precious? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Dec 9 2019, 1:34pm

Post #6 of 23 (865 views)
Shortcut
The thread of our pants grows *thin*! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 9 2019, 7:26pm

Post #7 of 23 (858 views)
Shortcut
Shhhh - zip it. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

My original fantasy writing

My LOTR fan-fiction

squire
Half-elven

Dec 9 2019, 7:54pm

Post #8 of 23 (847 views)
Shortcut
Now, now, when has this site ever been caught with its pants down? // [In reply to] Can't Post

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 9 2019, 8:34pm

Post #9 of 23 (843 views)
Shortcut
This seams to confirm it. // [In reply to] Can't Post

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2019, 12:46pm

Post #10 of 23 (799 views)
Shortcut
*Cuffs Ataahua around the ankles* [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 10 2019, 7:58pm

Post #11 of 23 (774 views)
Shortcut
You're hanging by a thread, Notta... / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

My original fantasy writing

My LOTR fan-fiction

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 11 2019, 2:16pm

Post #12 of 23 (753 views)
Shortcut
You just gave Notta a proper dressing down. Oh, wait, that's for the dress thread. // [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by CuriousG on Dec 11 2019, 2:17pm)

NottaSackville
Tol Eressea

Dec 17 2019, 2:27pm

Post #13 of 23 (688 views)
Shortcut
It would seam I should be more careful // [In reply to] Can't Post

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 17 2019, 2:29pm

Post #14 of 23 (689 views)
Shortcut
Enough with the off-the-cuff remarks! // [In reply to] Can't Post

#FidelityToTolkien

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 18 2019, 12:18am

Post #15 of 23 (510 views)
Shortcut
No need to be on pins and needles. // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 18 2019, 1:33am

Post #16 of 23 (479 views)
Shortcut
I can't waist for the next comment. // [In reply to] Can't Post

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Dec 19 2019, 4:59pm

Post #17 of 23 (407 views)
Shortcut
Better lace than never! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is more a pun thread than a pants.

... but never mind that. TORn deserves an A+ for many reasons, though some are not easily discerned by scanners.

Thereís so much to unpack as to why TORn deserves an A+, yet much of it can be seen in a recent, simple gesture: In Aunt Doraís thread about a.s. sailing West, she shared a link to a post a.s. made some 10 years ago, which in itself deserves an A+; then thereís the thread she posted in, A+; remembering and sharing a post from 10 years ago, A+; that a post from 10 years ago can be accessed and shared, A+; the content of the thread, a discussion about the type of online community we wanted, and what we were willing to do about it A+; the moderators posting in that thread, by and large are still with us today, having selflessly served all the years between then and now, and in some cases stretching even further back, A+;

I could continue but you get the idea. That we get the idea, and each other, we often attribute to our professor. However TORn in itself is a model of Internet etiquette, and no finer example exists of what an online community can be (and has been for years) than theonering.net .

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Dec 19 2019, 5:01pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 21 2019, 2:45pm

Post #18 of 23 (383 views)
Shortcut
It's in the jeans. We can't levi(t) alone... & *mods up* [In reply to] Can't Post

Well Said! :) *big hug*

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 21 2019, 2:47pm

Post #19 of 23 (375 views)
Shortcut
And no dis-cords EVER! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 21 2019, 2:50pm

Post #20 of 23 (380 views)
Shortcut
Inseams this thread is endless! [In reply to] Can't Post

*wild applause*!!!!!!! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Dec 21 2019, 5:22pm

Post #21 of 23 (369 views)
Shortcut
Mods up. :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 21 2019, 5:32pm

Post #22 of 23 (367 views)
Shortcut
And no slacking, either. // [In reply to] Can't Post

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 22 2019, 1:49pm

Post #23 of 23 (298 views)
Shortcut
No suspenders or Gaps... just straight panting :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Dec 22 2019, 1:49pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.