Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Remember that old Yahoo Group we had to plan the original Founders' Day?

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Dec 5 2019, 8:17pm

Post #1 of 7 (221 views)
Shortcut
Remember that old Yahoo Group we had to plan the original Founders' Day? Can't Post

Remember our original Founders' Day Group? Over 10 years ago!

Anyway, Yahoo is getting ready to delete everything previously uploaded on December 14, 2019.

If you want any of the content from this group, now's the time to snag it. I was looking around a bit and it all seems to be there.

I know there is at least one pack rat on TORn. I'm looking at you, Gramma! Heart

Here is what Yahoo says about it:

Beginning December 14, 2019:

All Groups will be made private and any content that was previously uploaded via the website will be removed. We believe privacy is critical and made this decision to better align with our overall principles.

If you would like to keep any of the content youíve posted or stored in the past within your Yahoo Group, please download it by December 14 by accessing this link.

http://service.comms.yahoo.net/...pI9qFR9O5idML7XOwA==

This was a private group so if you weren't a member, you won't be able to see it. But I thought some of the old members would want a chance to look through it and decide if they want to download or copy any of it. I attempted to send an email from the group, but it wouldn't send, even though it says emailing the group is still possible. So here I am.

Reminders of what was on there: The planning of the first Founders' Day; Thank you card for the founders; the birth of the Valaquenta of TORn; Daniel Reeves agreeing to provide a copy of the Valaquenta of TORn in his special font. Plus all that special camaraderie of people working together for something wonderful.

I hope everyone is well.

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Dec 5 2019, 10:38pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 5 2019, 9:48pm

Post #2 of 7 (188 views)
Shortcut
Well, that leaves me out. [In reply to] Can't Post

I wasn't part of TORN in those early days and wouldn't be able to access that stuff. I'm sure someone will have better luck!

#FidelityToTolkien

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 5 2019, 10:50pm

Post #3 of 7 (187 views)
Shortcut
Those were the days [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you for this warning, Alassea! I've made the link clickable. I'm not able to access it, as I have no record of my password. I do still have all the emails from that time, but none of the planning details from the Yahoo site. Unsure

That was so much fun to do!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 6 2019, 3:38am

Post #4 of 7 (168 views)
Shortcut
*nose twitches, tail flicks* Packrat is in the (Mathom) House! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you so much for getting the word out for us! I got in there and am waiting for the site to contact me about retrieving my data. Got this message:

Your Yahoo Groups data
Your download request has been accepted. We will update this section as soon as your data is ready for download

It said I was in there 16 years ago! I admit it's been a while... but had no idea it had been THAT long! I'm glad they let people know. To have it just disappear would have been so sad.

THANKS AGAIN! :D

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Dec 6 2019, 4:20pm

Post #5 of 7 (124 views)
Shortcut
Oh, good! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad you were able to get in and that they're going to let you download it. Some good memories in there.

The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Dec 6 2019, 4:25pm

Post #6 of 7 (122 views)
Shortcut
Thanks. I was in a hurry. [In reply to] Can't Post

And it's been so long since I was posting anything on TORn, much less a clickable link, I almost had to give myself a mini tutorial! Laugh

But I bet Gramma will share what she finds. Wink

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 6 2019, 8:38pm

Post #7 of 7 (112 views)
Shortcut
I hope I can! [In reply to] Can't Post

They still haven't given me the go-ahead that they've got my files ready yet. Not a good sign! I'll keep you posted :D

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.