Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
What Would You Cook For... ? (game)

noWizardme
Half-elven

Dec 4 2019, 3:49pm

Post #1 of 12 (1827 views)
Shortcut
What Would You Cook For... ? (game) Can't Post

Hey Cooks of the board! I wondered about playing a game in which people suggest a recipie suitable for a particular Tolkien character. It could be something that the character would like, given what we know of them, or it could be 'suitable' in a jokey way. The actual recipie (or a link to it) should be included.

In a moment I'll post anexample, and I hope everything will become clear.

~~~~~~
"Go down to the shovel store and take your pick." Traditional prank played on dwarves when they start down the mine.

noWizardme
Half-elven

Dec 4 2019, 3:57pm

Post #2 of 12 (1798 views)
Shortcut
What Would You Cook For ...Aragorn [In reply to] Can't Post

This main is a 'cake' made from layers of pork stuffing and cabbage leaves, baked in the oven. An outer cabbage leaf is used to be the base layer (which becomes the top when it is turned out to serve). The veins of the cabbage leaf look like a white tree, which Aragorn ought to appreciate, I'd expect. It's a favourite meal in NoWiz towers
https://www.theguardian.com/...-recipe-rachel-roddy

I've been thinking a bit about whether there could be a meat-free version. Maybe with mushrooms and or chestnuts made like a sort of stuffing. But whether that would hold together, or taste nice, I'm not sure - any suggestions welcome!

~~~~~~
"Go down to the shovel store and take your pick." Traditional prank played on dwarves when they start down the mine.

(This post was edited by noWizardme on Dec 4 2019, 3:57pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 7 2019, 6:10am

Post #3 of 12 (1733 views)
Shortcut
What Would You Cook For Frodo? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's actually a side-dish...

Taters, Mushrooms, & Bacon (serves 4 hobbits)

Taters
Scrub and dice 4 to 6 good-sized potatoes into approx. 1" cubes. You can leave the skins on or peel 'em first.

Drop into a pot of lightly-salted boiling water. When it comes back up to a boil, cover and turn down to medium heat.

Cook 15-30 mins until you can poke with a fork, but do not overcook. Drain off the water and set covered pot of taters off to one side.

Mushrooms
While you're scrubbing taters, also scrub 8 large or 12 medium or 20 small mushrooms.

Cut the large into quarters, the medium in half, or leave the small ones whole. Set off to one side.

Bacon
In your largest cast-iron pan, fry at least 1 pound of bacon until just before your desired crispiness.

Remove fried bacon strips to let drain and cool.

Pour most of the bacon drippings into a jar for later use.

Break the cooled strips up into bite-size pieces and set off to one side.

Optional gratuitous additions
Finely dice about 1 tablespoon of onion. Also finely dice a small clove (or 1/2 clove) of garlic. Set off to one side.

Now is the fun part!
In that same large bacon pan, bring remaining bacon drippings up to a medium to medium-high temperature so a drop of water immediately sizzles and disappears! *fssssssst!* [You can also use Olive Oil instead of bacon drippings... but why!?! ;]

In the hot pan, drop in onion and garlic constantly stirring around in bottom of pan with a spatula until onion begins to turn translucent.

Drop in diced taters and mushrooms and stir in with onion/garlic (optional asparagus). Cook until all begins to brown and get crispy.

At this point, I also like to drop in a pat or 2 of butter (optional).

Just before you're ready to serve, drop in the bacon bits and cook all until desired wonderfulness.

Scoop into a large bowl or serve straight from the pan placed in the center of the table. Salt & pepper to taste.

Possible garnishes: Parsley; paprika; cilantro, etc.

Additional yummies: Sour cream; grated cheese; pre-cooked asparagus; diced tomato; bacon gravy (from pan); fried, poached or scrambled eggs.

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

noWizardme
Half-elven

Dec 7 2019, 11:12am

Post #4 of 12 (1693 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure any hobbit would enjoy that! // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~

priell3
Lorien

Dec 8 2019, 10:43pm

Post #5 of 12 (1542 views)
Shortcut
If you are going to cook for a hobbit... [In reply to] Can't Post

...you will need these.

I saw them at a Christmas Festival vendor.

Very oversized imaged removed - feel free to resize and repost. Ataahua.

MikeP

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Dec 18 2019, 2:49am)

Omnigeek
Lorien

Dec 17 2019, 8:49am

Post #6 of 12 (1259 views)
Shortcut
What would you cook for ... Gimli? [In reply to] Can't Post

All temperatures below in Fahrenheit.

Beer
We’ll start off with lighter beer just to whet the appetite. Something along the lines of Paulaner’s Hefeweizen.

Starters
To accompany this pale golden treasure, we’ll begin with a plate of bratwurst and slices of butterkase melted on water crackers. Hot glazed nuts (pecans, almonds, and cashews) complete the trio.

Now that the appetite is building and the songs are flowing, we’ll move to the Mains.

First Course
We begin lightly with a poultry dish. Having just watched Alton Brown’s new turkey special from Thanksgiving, I opt for turchetta with one change — instead of roasting it in the oven, I would put it on the spindle for my rotisserie. Serve it up hot with a small side of spaetzle and gravy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXEpKjt573I

Second Course
We migrate now to the other white meat, pork! Baby back ribs left in the refrigerator overnight with a Chile-LIme rub and then slow-roasted at 225 for 4.5 hours. Served with a side of collard greens and corn bread.
The beer for this course would be a nut brown ale.

Third Course
Smoked Rib Roast
Get a nice 5-rib roast (or larger). Dry age in the refrigerator for a few days. Cut slits and pack them with slivers of fresh garlic. Rub the outside with safflower oil then rub generously with coarse Hawaiian sea salt and fresh ground black pepper. Drop in smoker at 200 and roast until it reaches internal temperature of 118. Pull and cover with foil to keep warm. About 15 minutes prior to serving, place in a 500 deg oven to crisp the exterior and pull when browned.
Serve above with roast Brussels sprouts tossed lightly with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, sautéed mushrooms, brown mushroom gravy, and kartoffelsalat. I’d also have thick slabs of sourdough bread and real butter on the side, preferably Anchor but Irish butter will work.
Beer for this course moves to a cream stout.

Dessert
After gorging on the above, we finish with a nice slice of apfelstrudel and a scoop of almond gelato.

noWizardme
Half-elven

Dec 17 2019, 7:08pm

Post #7 of 12 (1216 views)
Shortcut
Wow! If word gets round you'll be hosting an Unexpected Party! // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~
The Reading Room 'favourite chapters' project. http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=967482#967482 Each week, someone presents a favourite chapter from The Hobbit, LOTR or the Silmarillion. Just sign yourself up onto the schedule if you can lead a chapter.

Cirashala
Tol Eressea

Dec 17 2019, 9:02pm

Post #8 of 12 (1216 views)
Shortcut
For Legolas [In reply to] Can't Post

I would prepare a supper of Dorwinion wine, a venison roast with wild onions and garlic and wild but safe to eat mushrooms (I hate mushrooms but they are found in Mirkwood and I know there are many out there who do like them), boiled and mashed cattail roots (they are similar to potatoes when cooked through), dinner rolls made from acorn flour, sauteed wild asparagus cooked with deer fat, and wild raspberry tarts with acorn flour shells for dessert with their flavor bolstered by wild peppermint leaves.

I've done my fair bit of scavenging for edibles in the woods myself, and I think all these foods could potentially be available in Mirkwood (at least, the less diseased parts where elves live anyway).

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

My historical novel print and kindle version

My historical novels ebook version compatible with all ereaders

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Dec 23 2019, 5:32pm

Post #9 of 12 (876 views)
Shortcut
Hmm, closest you're likely to come to lembas in my opinion - [In reply to] Can't Post

only it'll never last that long! Remember Pippin? 'How many did you have?' *burp* 'Four...' this one's for him.

Llanddarog Fair Cakes / Teisennau Ffair Llanddarog
12oz self-raising flour
8oz butter6oz caster (fine granulated) sugar
3 tablespoons beer of choice (a light/bitter ale works well)
4oz mixed dried fruit
Rub the butter into the flour thoroughly and add the sugar. Mix in the beer to form a soft dough. Roll out on a floured board to a thckness of half an inch. Cut into rounds or rectangles and press the fruit into the surface. If you're feeling very inventive (and patient) you can make dominoes! Place on a greased baking tray leaving gaps for spreading, and cook in a moderate oven gas Mk 5/375F/190C for 15 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before moving onto a wire rack to cool fully. Enjoy!

(This post was edited by dernwyn on Dec 24 2019, 2:11pm)

noWizardme
Half-elven

Dec 23 2019, 7:59pm

Post #10 of 12 (863 views)
Shortcut
Nice [In reply to] Can't Post

What do you do with theh rest of the bottle of beer?

...oh wait, I've an idea....
Wink

~~~~~~
The Reading Room 'favourite chapters' project. http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=967482#967482 Each week, someone presents a favourite chapter from The Hobbit, LOTR or the Silmarillion. Just sign yourself up onto the schedule if you can lead a chapter.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 24 2019, 2:16pm

Post #11 of 12 (802 views)
Shortcut
But if you make "dominoes" from them [In reply to] Can't Post

and then try to play a game...the game won't get very far, you'll soon find that pieces are missing! Laugh

This sounds like a very old Welsh recipe. Is it one that's been in your family a long time? (I was chatting with my Texas brother on the phone a couple days ago, and he mentioned making our Great-aunt's sour cream cookies for a cookie swap. Some recipes never go out of style!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 24 2019, 2:19pm

Post #12 of 12 (803 views)
Shortcut
Great elephants! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, that is an old-fashioned German feast - the kind that takes a full day to consume! Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.