Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
It's time for some BS!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sun, 2:13pm

Post #1 of 16 (332 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! Can't Post

Here are a couple of Book Spoilers that sum up the Bagginsesessss' Quests... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From The Silmarillion: Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age

..."...For, as many songs have since sung, it was the Periannath, the Little People, dwellers in hillsides and meadows, that brought them deliverance.
...For Frodo the Halfling, it is said, at the bidding of Mithrandir took on himself the burden, and alone with his servant he passed through peril and darkness and came at last in Sauron's despite even to Mount Doom; and there into the Fire where it was wrought he cast the Great Ring of Power, and so at last it was unmade and its evil consumed."

AND

From Of the Finding of the Ring: The Fellowship of the Ring: Prologue

..."As is told in The Hobbit, there came one day to Bilbo's door and the great Wizard, Gandalf the Grey, and thirteen dwarves with him... ...Thorin Oakenshield, descendant of kings, and his twelve companions in exile. With them he set out, to his own lasting astonishment, on a morning of April... ...on a quest of great treasure, the dwarf-hoards of the Kings under the Mountain, beneath Erebor in Dale, far off in the East. The quest was successful, and the Dragon that guarded the hoard was destroyed. Yet, though before all was won the Battle of Five Armies was fought, and Thorin was slain, and many deeds of renown were done, the matter would scarcely have concerned later history... ...but for an 'accident' by the way. The party was assailed by Orcs in a high pass of the Misty Mountains as they went towards Wilderland; and so it happened that Bilbo was lost for a while in the black orc-mines deep under the mountains, and there, as he groped in vain in the dark, he put his hand on a ring, lying on the floor of a tunnel. He put it in his pocket. It seemed then like mere luck.
...Trying to find his way out, Bilbo went on down to the roots of the mountains, until he could go no further. At the bottom of the tunnel lay a cold lake far from the light, and on an island of rock in the water lived Gollum.... ...He possessed a secret treasure that had come to him long ages ago, when he lived still in the light: a ring of gold that made its wearer invisible. It was the one thing he loved, his 'precious', and he talked to it, even when it was not with him... ....For he kept it hidden safe in a hole on his island, except when he was hunting or spying on the orcs of the mines....
......[After escaping and reuniting with his companions, Bilbo's] account was that Gollum had promised to give him a present, if he won the game; but when Gollum went to fetch it from his island he found the treasure was gone: a magic ring, which had been given to him long ago on his birthday. Bilbo guessed that this was the very ring that he had found, and as he had won the game, it was already his by right. But being in a tight place, he said nothing about it, and made Gollum show him the way out, as a reward instead of a present. This account Bilbo set down in his memoirs...."

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

CuriousG
Half-elven

Sun, 3:08pm

Post #2 of 16 (318 views)
Shortcut
So if anyone is ever daunted by the sheer size of the 3-volume LOTR, [In reply to] Can't Post

here's all you need to know:

For Frodo the Halfling, it is said, at the bidding of Mithrandir took on himself the burden, and alone with his servant he passed through peril and darkness and came at last in Sauron's despite even to Mount Doom; and there into the Fire where it was wrought he cast the Great Ring of Power, and so at last it was unmade and its evil consumed.

There, I just saved you hours of wasted reading time. You're welcome. Smile

Cirashala
Tol Eressea

Sun, 9:22pm

Post #3 of 16 (291 views)
Shortcut
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

ha-cough cough hack I'm dying...don't make me laugh I'm still sick with the flu...oh that was funny! Laugh

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

My historical novel print and kindle version

My historical novels ebook version compatible with all ereaders

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

CuriousG
Half-elven

Sun, 9:34pm

Post #4 of 16 (288 views)
Shortcut
Hope you feel better soon! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, and I just saved you from wasting 9+ hours watching those overstuffed Peter Jackson LOTR movies too. It frees up more time for quality shows, like re-runs of Gilligan's Island.

Cirashala
Tol Eressea

Sun, 9:37pm

Post #5 of 16 (285 views)
Shortcut
You, my good sir, are quite mistaken [In reply to] Can't Post

Gilligan's Island is utterly marvelous! Tongue

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

My historical novel print and kindle version

My historical novels ebook version compatible with all ereaders

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mon, 3:05am

Post #6 of 16 (254 views)
Shortcut
History re-written, and by the Elves, no less! [In reply to] Can't Post

"...and there into the Fire where it was wrought he cast the Great Ring of Power..."- NOT!

It was Gollum who fell into the Fire with the Ring - Frodo did not cast it in, in fact, he refused to cast it in.

Do we know who the supposed "author" of this simplified version of Middle-earth Third Age history was? Besides being an admirer of a certain heroic Halfling?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mon, 10:42am

Post #7 of 16 (245 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's part 1 of a 4-part Book Spoiler that looks at one of Frodo's dreadful choices... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

From The Black Gate is Closed: The Two Towers

..."Its name was Cirith Ungol, a name of dreadful rumour. Aragorn could perhaps have told them that name and its significance; Gandalf would have warned them. But they were alone, and Aragorn was far away, and Gandalf stood amid the ruin of Isengard and strove with Saruman... ...Yet even as he spoke his last words to Saruman, and the Palantír crashed in fire upon the steps of Orthanc, his thought was ever upon Frodo and Samwise, over the long leagues his mind sought for them in hope and pity.
...Maybe Frodo felt it, not knowing it, as he had upon Amon Hen, even though he believed that Gandalf was... ...gone forever into the shadow in Moria far away. He sat upon the ground for a long while, silent, his head bowed, striving to recall all that Gandalf had said to him. But for this choice he could recall no counsel... ...Gandalf's guidance had been taken from them too soon... ...How they should enter it at the last Gandalf had not said. Perhaps he could not say. Into the stronghold of the Enemy in the North, into Dol Guldur, he had once ventured. But into Mordor, to the Mountains of Fire and to Barad-dûr, since the Dark Lord rose in power again, had he ever journeyed there? Frodo did not think so... ...here he was a little halfling from the Shire, a simple hobbit of the quiet countryside, expected to find a way where the great ones could not go, or dared not go. It was an evil fate. But he had taken it on himself in his own sitting-room in the far-off spring of another year, so remote now that it was like a chapter in a story of the world's youth, when the Trees of Silver and Gold were still in bloom... ...Which way should he choose? And if both led to terror and death, what good lay in choice?"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

CuriousG
Half-elven

Mon, 3:54pm

Post #8 of 16 (234 views)
Shortcut
This is enough to make we want to turn around and go home [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Which way should he choose? And if both led to terror and death, what good lay in choice?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Wed, 12:24am

Post #9 of 16 (126 views)
Shortcut
D'uh! Me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

But I think this is one of Tolkien's great writings that brings us into Frodo's process at these difficult, mind-blowing moments. And how Gandalf is constantly reaching out. This gets me every time I read it!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Wed, 12:27am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Wed, 12:30am

Post #10 of 16 (125 views)
Shortcut
It's time for some more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's part 2 of a 4-part Book Spoiler that looks at one of Frodo's dreadful choices... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

..."Not even an eagle poised against the sun would have marked the hobbits sitting there... ...silent, not moving, shrouded in their thin grey cloaks. For a moment he might have paused to consider Gollum, a tiny figure sprawling on the ground: there perhaps lay the famished skeleton of some child of Men, its ragged garment still clinging to it, its long arms and legs almost bone-white and bone-thin: no flesh worth a peck.
...Frodo's head was bowed over his knees, but Sam leaned back, with hands behind his head, staring out of his hood at the empty sky... ...Then presently Sam thought he saw a dark bird-like figure wheel into the circle of his sight, and hover, and then wheel away again. Two more followed, and then a fourth. They were very small to look at, yet he knew... ...that they were huge, with a vast stretch of pinion, flying at a great height. He covered his eyes and bent forward, cowering. The same warning fear was on him as he had felt in the presence of the Black Riders, the helpless horror that had come with the cry in the wind and the shadow on the moon, though now it was not so crushing or compelling: the menace was more remote... ...Frodo felt it too. His thought was broken. He stirred and shivered, but he did not look up. Gollum huddled himself together like a cornered spider. The winged shapes wheeled... ...speeding back to Mordor.
...Sam took a deep breath. 'The Riders are about again, up in the air,' he said in a hoarse whisper. 'I saw them. Do you think they could see us? They were very high up. And if they are Black Riders... ...then they can't see much by daylight, can they?'
...'No, perhaps not,' said Frodo. 'But their steeds could see. And these winged creatures that they ride on now, they can probably see more than any other creature. They are like great carrion birds. They are looking for something: the Enemy is on the watch, I fear.'"

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Wed, 11:09am

Post #11 of 16 (80 views)
Shortcut
It's time for even more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's part 3 of a 4-part Book Spoiler that looks at one of Frodo's dreadful choices... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

..."'The feeling of dread passed, but the enfolding silence was broken. For some time he had been cut off from the world, as if in an invisible island; now they were laid bare again, peril had returned... ...still Frodo did not speak to Gollum or make his choice. His eyes were closed, as if he were dreaming, or looking inward into his heart and memory. At last he stirred and stood up, and it seemed that he was about to speak and to decide. But 'hark!' he said. 'What is that?'
...A new fear was upon them. They heard singing and hoarse shouting. At first it seemed a long way off, but it drew nearer... ...It leaped into all their minds that the Black Wings had spied them and had sent armed soldiers to seize them: no speed seemed too great for these terrible servants of Sauron. They crouched, listening. The voices and the clink of weapons... ...was very close. Frodo and Sam loosened their small swords in the sheaths. Flight was impossible.
Gollum rose slowly and crawled insect-like to the lip of the hollow. Very cautiously he raised himself inch by inch, until he could peer over it between two broken points of stone. He remained there without moving for some time, making no sound. Presently the voices began... ...slowly faded away. Far off a horn blew on the ramparts of the Morannon. Then quietly Gollum drew back and slipped down into the hollow.
...'More Men going to Mordor,' Gollum said in a low voice. 'Dark faces. We have not seen Men like these before, no, Sméagol has not. They are fierce. They have black eyes, and long black hair, and gold rings in their ears; yes, lots of beautiful gold… …Not nice; very cruel wicked Men they look. Almost as bad as Orcs, and much bigger. Sméagol thinks they have come out of the South beyond the Great River's end... ...They have passed on to the Black Gate; but more may follow. Always more people coming to Mordor. One day all the peoples will be inside.'
...'Were there any oliphaunts?' asked Sam... ""

sample

TIME Google Calendar

CuriousG
Half-elven

Wed, 2:50pm

Post #12 of 16 (63 views)
Shortcut
I always forget Gollum wears clothes of some kind [In reply to] Can't Post

Gollum, a tiny figure sprawling on the ground: there perhaps lay the famished skeleton of some child of Men, its ragged garment still clinging to it, its long arms and legs almost bone-white and bone-thin: no flesh worth a peck.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Wed, 2:56pm

Post #13 of 16 (62 views)
Shortcut
I have to wonder what these Men think of Mordor [In reply to] Can't Post

Sure, they're allies of Sauron, but we see how Orcs in Mordor kill each other, so it's a barbarous place even if you're on Sauron's side, and an industrial wasteland is hard to camp in regardless of your allegiance.

'More Men going to Mordor,' Gollum said in a low voice. 'Dark faces. We have not seen Men like these before, no, Sméagol has not. They are fierce. They have black eyes, and long black hair, and gold rings in their ears; yes, lots of beautiful gold… …Not nice; very cruel wicked Men they look. Almost as bad as Orcs, and much bigger. Sméagol thinks they have come out of the South beyond the Great River's end... ...They have passed on to the Black Gate; but more may follow.

Are they eager to go fight Gondor just to get outside of Sauron's hellhole? Do they complain a lot? Are they demoralized by their surroundings? Do they wish they could march back home to more normal lands? Do they get into fights with Orcs? If only I could be a wartime correspondent and interview them.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

11:17am

Post #14 of 16 (15 views)
Shortcut
It's time for a bit more BS! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's part 4 of a 4-part Book Spoiler that looks at one of Frodo's dreadful choices... for a moment of Tolkien-zen.

..."'Were there any oliphaunts?' asked Sam, forgetting his fear in his eagerness for news of strange places.
...'No, no oliphaunts. What are oliphaunts?' said Gollum.
...Sam stood up, putting his hands behind his back (as he always did when 'speaking poetry'), and began: 'Grey as a mouse, Big as a house, Nose like a snake, I make the earth shake...'"

...'...That,' said Sam, when he had finished reciting, 'that's a rhyme we have in the Shire. Nonsense maybe, and maybe not. But we have our tales too, and news out of the South... ...In the old days hobbits used to go on their travels now and again. Not that many ever came back, and not that all they said was believed: news from Bree, and not sure as Shiretalk, as the sayings go. But I've heard tales of the big folk down away in the Sunlands. Swertings we call 'em in our tales... ...they ride on oliphaunts, 'tis said, when they fight. They put houses and towers on the oliphauntses backs... ...and the oliphaunts throw rocks and trees at one another. So when you said "Men out of the South, all in red and gold," I said "were there any oliphaunts?" For if there was, I was going to take a look, risk or no. But now I don't suppose I'll ever see an oliphaunt. Maybe there ain't no such a beast.' He sighed.
... 'No, no oliphaunts,' said Gollum again. 'Sméagol has not heard of them. He does not want to see them... ...Sméagol wants to go away from here and hide somewhere safer. Sméagol wants master to go. Nice master, won't he come with Sméagol?'
...Frodo stood up. He had laughed in the midst of all his cares when Sam trotted out the old fireside rhyme of Oliphaunt... ...the laugh had released him from hesitation. 'I wish we had a thousand oliphaunts with Gandalf on a white one at their head,' he said. 'Then we'd break a way into this evil land, perhaps ... '...But we've not; just our own tired legs, that's all. Well, Sméagol, the third turn may turn the best. I will come with you.'
...'Good master, wise master, nice master!' cried Gollum in delight, patting Frodo's knees...."

OK... I just have to say, here... I love how Frodo pictures Gandalf leading the charge on a white oliphaunt before he ever knew Gandalf was reborn as Gandalf theWhite! :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

12:21pm

Post #15 of 16 (12 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

If only I could be a wartime correspondent and interview them.

Looks like meat's back on the menu, boys!!! ;D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

12:41pm

Post #16 of 16 (6 views)
Shortcut
That image of Gollum [In reply to] Can't Post

has always had him sporting a loin cloth, so it's hard to remember this description. However… I always trip up on his description from The Hobbit (Riddles) and this description of "…long arms and legs almost bone-white…"

Deep down here by the dark water lived old Gollum, a small slimy creature... ...He was Gollum—as dark as darkness, except for two big round pale eyes in his thin face.

P'raps it just means he's dark as darkness because he was darkened in the darkness and is truly bone-white.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.