Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
One academic's struggle with the Tolkien Estate

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Dec 2 2019, 1:52am

Post #1 of 7 (1830 views)
Shortcut
One academic's struggle with the Tolkien Estate Can't Post

It's quite the interesting read.

In fairness, I believe we all appreciate how difficult Late Vulgar Adűni is to translate.

NB: the article has some non-family-friendly language.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

My original fantasy writing

My LOTR fan-fiction

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Dec 2 2019, 1:53am)

squire
Half-elven

Dec 2 2019, 2:50am

Post #2 of 7 (1808 views)
Shortcut
Mildly amusing [In reply to] Can't Post

I found myself repeatedly looking at the byline to see if the piece was by A.R.R.R. Roberts, another satirist of Tolkien Studies.

I'd like to know more about the three Nazgul being mistranslated into nine.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

sador
Half-elven

Dec 2 2019, 3:52am

Post #3 of 7 (1800 views)
Shortcut
That is very nice. [In reply to] Can't Post

It also leaves one with deep regret that King Elessar had no "friendly and lucrative friendly government bereaucracy" - otherwise Denethor might yet be living.

Thinking about things I don't understand

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 2 2019, 4:46am

Post #4 of 7 (1793 views)
Shortcut
Those debates are *never* friendly [In reply to] Can't Post

Like most of my peers, I was content to lead a quiet scholarly life, writing my dissertation on Adűni phonology and having friendly debates over second brunch about whether or not Balrogs have wings (they don’t).

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 2 2019, 4:57am

Post #5 of 7 (1794 views)
Shortcut
Metal deaths in Middle-earth [In reply to] Can't Post

That article had a favorite of mine at the bottom of it, particularly what it says about Luthien (#8):

Lúthien’s life was indisputably metal. She conquered the Isle of Werewolves from Sauron. She disguised herself as a vampire, snuck into Morgoth’s infernal fortress, knocked the Dark Lord out cold, and stole a Silmaril from his crown

The Most Metal Deaths in Middle-earth, Ranked

The commentary on Feanor is funny but unprintable here.

Solicitr
Rohan

Dec 2 2019, 1:08pm

Post #6 of 7 (1758 views)
Shortcut
Subject [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
That article had a favorite of mine at the bottom of it, particularly what it says about Luthien (#8):

Lúthien’s life was indisputably metal. She conquered the Isle of Werewolves from Sauron. She disguised herself as a vampire, snuck into Morgoth’s infernal fortress, knocked the Dark Lord out cold, and stole a Silmaril from his crown

The Most Metal Deaths in Middle-earth, Ranked

The commentary on Feanor is funny but unprintable here.

This from the comments is priceless!

You really only have to make a few judicious edits to the Lay of Leithian to turn it into metal lyrics. It's turnkey:

[Rain of power chords]
BLACK ARMOR, IRON CROWNED
SHADOW LIKE A THUNDERCLOUD!
HIS MIGHTY SHIELD
A SABLE FIELD!
A MASSIVE MACE HE HURLED!
HAMMER OF THE UNDERWORLD!
GROND!
GROND!
GROOOOOONNNNNNNNND!!!
[Guitar solo]

noWizardme
Half-elven

Dec 4 2019, 6:20pm

Post #7 of 7 (1630 views)
Shortcut
I love it when The Toast pops up [In reply to] Can't Post

I recommend "How To Tell If You Are In A J.R.R. Tolkien Book" https://the-toast.net/...-a-jrr-tolkien-book/

...which contains such gems as "You have been hired by a group of adventurers to work as a thief, even though your only professional experience is gentle meandering."

~~~~~~
"Go down to the shovel store and take your pick." Traditional prank played on dwarves when they start down the mine.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.