Lorien

Nov 20 2019, 6:16pm

Post #1 of 4 (23054 views)
Shortcut
Dis Memoir - Part I Can't Post

Memoir of Dis, Daughter of Thrain, Son of Thror
Began 3rd Age, 2943, at 183 years.
By: VeArkenstone, Inspired by the Works of J.R.R. Tolkien

One of my earliest childhood memories was my 3rd birthday. I have clear a few clear memories of this day, but my Mother has told me the whole story. My Mother and Grandmother dressed me in a dark green velvet dress. I also wore a ring, necklace and hairstones of Lazurite, all made for me by my Grandfather, Thror. The shade of blue of this stone almost exactly matches the shade of blue of my eyes, and the hairstones were bright and sparkly in my black hair. To this day Lazurite if my favorite mineral stone. Only two of the hairstones have survived, and I wear them almost everyday.

Once they had me all dressed up, Mother took one of my hands and Grandmother the other, and we walked through the common areas of the Mountain, where food and drink and shopping was available. This is a Dwarvish tradition, parading young children through the common areas to show them off. Mother said I caused quite a stir. Not only was everyone delighted to see the Princess, but I was jabbering and smiling at everyone I met. In an eating establishment, I insisted on talking to everyone who was sitting at a table. Only some of what I said was understood, but I was so earnest and serious about what I was saying, so sure everyone was understanding me, that it made everyone smile and laugh.

I was the youngest of three children and had two older brothers, Thorin and Frerin. I adored them. Thorin was extroverted, brave, intelligent and handsome, with black hair and beard and Lazurite blue eyes. All of Erebor thought he had the makings to be a great King. Frerin was Introverted, serious and thoughtful, intelligent and handsome, with dark blonde hair and beard, and the darkest of brown eyes. He spoke freely and would laugh when with family and close family friends, but spoke little and showed no emotion when with larger groups. All of Erebor thought he had the makings to be a wise, serious and thoughtful King. We were all close, and my brothers were protective of me. I adored them.

I had been taught from a youn age that I was a Royal Princess of the Sacred Line of Durin I, but I was not spoiled and was treated almost like any other girl at Erebor. I am grateful for this. We girls, like the boys, spent much of our time in school. I loved school. I was treated like everyone else and had friends outside the sphere of influence of the Royal Family. I spent time with regular Dwarf families, this was very good for me.

I have had long periods of time that were filled with tragedy. During the decade of my 30s, I experienced:

1) The Murder of my Grandfather by Azog The Defiler at Moria. He was brutally murdered and his body was defiled and mutalated.

2) The death of my Grandmother. A serious blow.

3) The Dwarf/orc wars. Thousands of our men never returned from this war. This war theoretically ended at the Battle of Azanubizar. My brother was murdered by orcs at this battle.

4) The Loss of Frerin. There were problems finding enought men to battle the orcs of Azanubizar, a crucial battle that could put an end to our 20-year war with the orcs. The evening before our army were leaving for battle, Father told us that Frerin would be going to Azanubizar with him. Me, Mother and Thorin all began talking at the same time, "He is too young," "I should be the one to go," etc. Father was adament, Thorin was staying behind and Frerin was coming with him. He told Frerin to report to the stables, he was to wait for him there. They would eat and sleep in the stables tonight and leave in the morning about an hour before sunrise. Frerin nodded, and not looking at any of us or speaking one word, left the room. We hurried after him, asking that he stop so we could talk to him. He did. Thorin reached him first, but flew past Frerin and kept running down those stairs, skipping steps, he was gone, Mother and me reached Frerin and hugged him and told him that we loved him. He told us he loved us too and he would see us in a few weeks. Then he disengaged himself from us and was gone. Mother sat down on the steps and began crying. I sat down beside her and my eyes teared up, despite trying hard not to cry, and I cried with her.

Me and Mother are still crying on the stairs. Father passed us and said "If you want to see Frerin, come now. Crying will not be tolerated."

...... continued in Part 2

Please, call me Ve.

(This post was edited by VeArkenstone on Nov 20 2019, 6:18pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 20 2019, 6:57pm

Post #2 of 4 (23041 views)
Shortcut
Book or Films? [In reply to] Can't Post

If you are following Tolkien's "Tale of Years" then you've left out a pretty significant incident that took place when Dís was in her tenth year: Smaug's attack on Erebor and her family's escape from the Mountain. I would think she'd remember such a horrible experience, though it might have been pretty confusing to a 10 year old Dwarf-child.

Btw, the War of the Dwarves and Orcs only lasted about nine years, not twenty unless you are creating an alternate timeline(?). Are you placing the War of the Dwarves and Orcs before Smaug? I've always assumed that Thror wanted to reclaim Gundabad because of the loss of Erebor. it's curious that he might have attempted it before the coming of the dragon (which in Peter Jackson's timeline might have been around T.A. 2820). I've estimated that the Battle of Moria in the films might have taken place about the year 2829, definitely after the coming of Smaug.

The War of the Dwarves and Orcs began with the murder of Thror. If it lasted for twenty years in your story, beginning when Dís was in her 30s, then the death of her brother Frerin at the Battle of Azanulbizar would have happened when she was in her 50s.

#FidelityToTolkien

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Nov 20 2019, 7:07pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 20 2019, 7:32pm

Post #3 of 4 (23030 views)
Shortcut
PM [In reply to] Can't Post

I've sent you a private message that might not be especially useful to you, Ve, but you might still find it interesting.

#FidelityToTolkien

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 1 2019, 1:03am

Post #4 of 4 (22270 views)
Shortcut
Oops! I made a mistake of my own. [In reply to] Can't Post

I confused Gundabad with Moria.

I've always assumed that Thror wanted to reclaim Gundabad Khazad-dûm because of the loss of Erebor. it's curious that he might have attempted it before the coming of the dragon (which in Peter Jackson's timeline might have been around T.A. 2820). I've estimated that the Battle of Moria in the films might have taken place about the year 2829, definitely after the coming of Smaug.

I'm still hoping that you'll post the rest of your tale, even if it needs a slight re-write.

#FidelityToTolkien

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Dec 1 2019, 1:06am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.