Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Middle-earth TV Series Discussion:
New audition tapes for Amazon’s Lord of the Rings hint at Numenor

Althoun
Lorien

Nov 27 2019, 1:47am

Post #1 of 19 (1197 views)
Shortcut
New audition tapes for Amazon’s Lord of the Rings hint at Numenor Can't Post

Courtesy of the canny sleuths at Redanian Intelligence (who found the earlier audition videos for the roles of Tyra, Eldien, Beldor and Aric), new ones have been found and transcribed for 'Brac', 'Kari', 'Loda' and 'Hansom':

https://redanianintelligence.com/2019/11/27/new-audition-tapes-for-amazons-lord-of-the-rings-hint-numenor/

(This post was edited by Althoun on Nov 27 2019, 1:49am)

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 27 2019, 2:04am

Post #2 of 19 (1167 views)
Shortcut
Is this supposed to be encouraging? [In reply to] Can't Post

Spoiler alert: it isn't!

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Archestratie
Rivendell

Nov 27 2019, 12:16pm

Post #3 of 19 (1109 views)
Shortcut
WOW [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Courtesy of the canny sleuths at Redanian Intelligence (who found the earlier audition videos for the roles of Tyra, Eldien, Beldor and Aric), new ones have been found and transcribed for 'Brac', 'Kari', 'Loda' and 'Hansom':

https://redanianintelligence.com/2019/11/27/new-audition-tapes-for-amazons-lord-of-the-rings-hint-numenor/

Nice find. They're going to have a really hard time keeping this show secret.

My Low-Magic Fantasy Novel on eBook/hardback: The Huntsman and the She-Wolf

The Huntsman and the She-Wolf on audio Book.

The Dude
The Shire

Nov 27 2019, 1:14pm

Post #4 of 19 (1100 views)
Shortcut
Not encouraging at all: [In reply to] Can't Post

- The lines of dialogue (meandering between hackneyed modern TV, soap-opera, boilerplate fantasy, and, very occasionally at that, faux-Tolkien).
- The potential spoilers they give away about the show (I am not entirely opposed to a subplot about N¨˛menorean colonialism but in the wrong hands this could quickly descend into an unmitigated disaster.)
- Maybe worst of all, the short descriptions of the characters - all of them read like focus group-tested cardboard characters.

But then again, I am wholly unfamiliar with the inner workings of the casting process of a mega-production such as this one. So who knows, maybe all of this does not mean anything for the final show.

Mari D.
Rivendell

Nov 27 2019, 1:39pm

Post #5 of 19 (1092 views)
Shortcut
Hmmmm ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... these seem to be tonally in line with the ones we read previously.

I am pleased to see that they make use of various life scenarios, as in, what the peoples' situation in life is, so there should be some variation there.

The style, well ... I guess the real scripts will be much better; like with the previous texts I think what we have here is simply what happens when you try to disguise a text, wanting to use it to help actors show certain emotions, but not much more than that, so you don't put too much effort into the disguise - which in turn means it can't be of very high literary quality.

I notice that the dialogues have snippets of very specific emotional moments, somewhat crammed together.
This way the sentences don't make for a very good flow of thought within the dialogues, but might be just what's needed to have an actor display several relevant moods within a short time.

The emotions or moods aimed for, I don't think would be *wrong* for a Second Age series. Tolkienesque for me doesn't mean limiting the range of emotions characters can have, but rather, to have a certain way of storytelling, narrating when talking about these emotions etc. So whether with the right dialogue and the right directing these emotions can create a Tolkien-like feel will remain to be seen. I hope they will. Laugh

--

Question: Did the actors know what series they were applying for?

Because if not, that would mean that of course they'd have had to use more ordinary language to not give that away.

(This post was edited by Mari D. on Nov 27 2019, 1:47pm)

2ndBreffest
Lorien

Nov 27 2019, 3:22pm

Post #6 of 19 (1066 views)
Shortcut
agree [In reply to] Can't Post

if any of what we have seen so far is any indication of what's to come, I'll be giving this one a hard miss.

Archestratie
Rivendell

Nov 27 2019, 5:01pm

Post #7 of 19 (1048 views)
Shortcut
Bah [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
if any of what we have seen so far is any indication of what's to come, I'll be giving this one a hard miss.

I bet you'll watch it anyway.

2ndBreffest
Lorien

Nov 27 2019, 5:45pm

Post #8 of 19 (1028 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

that will require signing up for amazon prime, and if I don't think this looks like something I would want to see, the chances of that happening are not good.

Cirashala
Tol Eressea

Nov 27 2019, 7:53pm

Post #9 of 19 (990 views)
Shortcut
What we see now [In reply to] Can't Post

is really unlikely to make it into the actual series. I have little doubt that any dialogue, character names, etc are just merely for the audition process to gauge the actors' ability to exhibit various emotions and vocal inflections at the drop of a hat.

Quintessentially, they're testing how well these folks can act, no matter what dialogue they are given. Choppy dialogue is excellent for testing an actor's ability to adapt and emote even under difficult conditions (for example, can they go from sobbing and emotional to comical and jovial, or from carefree to drop dead serious, etc without needing lots of time to recalibrate their brain and make the shift), and any actor that can pull it off would, IMHO, be a good asset to the team.

I know you don't particularly care for the current adaptations of Tolkien's works on the market and that is your perogative. Art is subjective, after all Smile. But I wouldn't judge the upcoming show based upon audition names and tapes simply because they're extremely unlikely to actually make it into the final product.

No matter how much we dissect, categorize, judge, and infer from these snippets, it all comes down to the fact that this is simply how casting is done (especially when they're utterly determined to keep actual details from leaking prior to airing the show). Like it or hate it, that's how the industry works.

I will reserve judgment until I actually see the show. If it sucks, then I simply won't watch it. If it doesn't, then I'll enjoy it as another foray into Middle-earth on screen.

(PS-just tossing this out there. I don't know if you're American or not, but if I recall correctly, Amazon Prime has a free trial period before you're committed for the year. Don't quote me on this, but you might be able to test run the pilot and then cancel the membership if you don't like it).

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

My historical novel print and kindle version

My historical novels ebook version compatible with all ereaders

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 27 2019, 8:48pm

Post #10 of 19 (975 views)
Shortcut
In the admittedly unlikely event that these are the real characters and/or proves to be representative of the dialogue [In reply to] Can't Post

I won't watch it at all.

And I do have an Amazon Prime account.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Althoun
Lorien

Nov 27 2019, 9:12pm

Post #11 of 19 (969 views)
Shortcut
The Star Wars auditions... [In reply to] Can't Post

....a couple of years back, had lead characters under the names "Rachel" and "Bill", discussing things like: "there's a barn over there....I don't like blood...your a squemish girl...we need to get some food in you...I'm not hungry...it wasn't a request".

(That's legit the verbatim lines).

Here's an actual tape for you to compare with these LotR ones:

https://youtu.be/a2XB0NHF-gs

This is just standard practice in the industry and we know for sure that Amazon have done the same for WoT (fake names, fake dialogue and scenes that often deliberately warp, obscure or outright change the actual plot).

Its just designed to test the actor's range, ability to convey certain key emotions, intonation and inflection etc.

Cirashala is thus spot on and its also why I'm not yet in the category of the doom-mongers!

At the very least, Amazon seem to have had more fun with their mock audition scripts than the ultra-mundane Star Wars ones. At least they give us more to speculate about than 'Rachel' and 'Bob' chatting about food, blood and barns.

(This post was edited by Althoun on Nov 27 2019, 9:27pm)

Cirashala
Tol Eressea

Nov 27 2019, 9:43pm

Post #12 of 19 (930 views)
Shortcut
Yum, blood barns [In reply to] Can't Post

just like mom used to make Tongue

(Sorry, couldn't resist Wink)

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

My historical novel print and kindle version

My historical novels ebook version compatible with all ereaders

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

Solicitr
Rohan

Nov 28 2019, 3:36am

Post #13 of 19 (881 views)
Shortcut
Subject [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
....a couple of years back, had lead characters under the names "Rachel" and "Bill", discussing things like: "there's a barn over there....I don't like blood...your a squemish girl...we need to get some food in you...I'm not hungry...it wasn't a request".

Shame they didn't use that script instead of what did wind up in Ep VIII

Hasuwandil
Rivendell

Nov 28 2019, 6:14am

Post #14 of 19 (859 views)
Shortcut
Characters you love [In reply to] Can't Post

In a Deadline article from June 11, 2018, Jennifer Salke said:

I think you can know that we’re not remaking the movies, but we’re also not starting from scratch. So, it’ll be characters you love.

Now, by my count we have the names of sixteen rumored characters:

Tyra
Hennah
Branna
Beldor
Neldor
Eldien
Aric
Oren
Brac
Radagar
Kari
Everad
Loda
Hamsom
Cole
Calenon

None of these names are those of "characters we love" from Tolkien's works. Assuming Salke's statement still holds true, it seems at least some of these must be code names for canonical Tolkien characters.

Hęlâ Auriwandil, angilô berhtost,
oƀar Middangard mannum gisandid!

Althoun
Lorien

Nov 28 2019, 12:17pm

Post #15 of 19 (815 views)
Shortcut
Was it that bad? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

I'm no Star Wars fan (so never saw the film myself), but I did find it weird how the critical reception from professional reviewers was very positive, whereas the fan reaction was decidedly negative.

As it is, the audition tape I gave a link to was actually for episode VII, I do believe Wink

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Nov 28 2019, 1:19pm

Post #16 of 19 (806 views)
Shortcut
Code names [In reply to] Can't Post

I bet all of these are code names. It's standard practice to use fake names like this in auditions to stop leaks, and as we can see, the fake names have indeed leaked. The dialogue in auditions are also not given the same time and effort as the dialogue in the actual show. So the names are fake, and the dialogue and character descriptions are not any indication of the quality of the actual show.

Vocalist of the progressive doom rock band Mater Thallium.

Archestratie
Rivendell

Nov 28 2019, 1:56pm

Post #17 of 19 (797 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

Totally agreed. I'd take the Star Wars Holiday Special over TLJ any day.

fantasywind
Bree

Nov 30 2019, 9:32am

Post #18 of 19 (661 views)
Shortcut
Good one :) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

Oooh that burn! :) As a fellow enthusiast of good old Star Wars I salute you :). I guess we can agree that Disney sequels are to delicately put it, not as good as hoped :).

Archestratie
Rivendell

Nov 30 2019, 8:54pm

Post #19 of 19 (602 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

In Reply To

Oooh that burn! :) As a fellow enthusiast of good old Star Wars I salute you :). I guess we can agree that Disney sequels are to delicately put it, not as good as hoped :).

Not at all. :(

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.