Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Middle-earth TV Series Discussion:
Main characters of Amazon's Lord of the Rings series revealed?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

kzer_za
Lorien

Nov 25 2019, 7:44pm

Post #1 of 29 (1355 views)
Shortcut
Main characters of Amazon's Lord of the Rings series revealed? Can't Post

https://observer.com/...tter_impression=true
Some more of the casting info we've seen before with further descriptions and some additional characters.

None of these names are canon, but they are likely placeholders (and probably leaked from people involved with auditions) - I certainly hope so!

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Nov 25 2019, 9:29pm)

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Nov 25 2019, 8:13pm

Post #2 of 29 (1301 views)
Shortcut
That sounds so incredibly bad that it is difficult to believe [In reply to] Can't Post

And thus it is probably completely accurate. Frown

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Althoun
Lorien

Nov 25 2019, 8:27pm

Post #3 of 29 (1290 views)
Shortcut
"Middle-earth....The Soap-Opera" [In reply to] Can't Post

Where's Tauriel with her, "Why does it hurt so much?" hammy-acting with corny line when you need her. (Yes, some of this is admittedly painful).

On the reassuring side, these names include the audition-names using the purportedly mock-up audition scripts that we've already heard about, just plus some new ones.

Evidently, someone has been able to view the mock-up audition scenes for the cast and has transcribed the basic character traits from them.

For that reason, I would treat this with a heavy dose of caution - audition-scripts under placeholder names are never good and very rarely relate to the real plot, in substance, because the showrunners are not going to want the actual script and plot to be leaked to, like, thousands of actors and then millions of people more before the show has even got its cast.

For what it's worth though, interesting that 'Eldien' (Galadriel?) is reportedly the 'main character' for the series.

(This post was edited by Althoun on Nov 25 2019, 8:29pm)

Mari D.
Rivendell

Nov 25 2019, 8:29pm

Post #4 of 29 (1283 views)
Shortcut
Hmm ... yes, that seems like more auditions material to me too. [In reply to] Can't Post

Lots of code names and vague descriptions. They had to make the descriptions vague to not give away much, I guess, so I don't take it as an indicator of how the series will be tonally. These new descriptions seem in harmony with the leaked audition scripts, which seem to me like what happens when you have good material and try to obscure it on purpose, make it sound more vague, without putting too much artistry into the obfuscation method.

Happy name guessing, everyone ;) We should now have plenty of material to keep theorizing for weeks.

Archestratie
Rivendell

Nov 25 2019, 11:37pm

Post #5 of 29 (1225 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
For what it's worth though, interesting that 'Eldien' (Galadriel?) is reportedly the 'main character' for the series.

Anyone versed enough in Tolkien's linguistics able to tell if that's a masculine or feminine construction?

kzer_za
Lorien

Nov 26 2019, 12:02am

Post #6 of 29 (1217 views)
Shortcut
Beldor and Neldor are probably Elrond and Elros [In reply to] Can't Post

First of all, many of commented on Will Poulter's Hugo Weaving resemblance.

Second, this is a decent description of Elrond, down to him being "young" by elf standards in the early-mid second age: an intelligent and political savvy protagonist who is nonetheless more reserved than his on-screen counterparts. Beldor will often be the straight-man in pairings with more out-sized personalities and, while young, will possess a gravitas that belies a character who could be far older.

Neldor is "a similar archetype as Beldor" and the name obvious suggests a relation.

(This post was edited by kzer_za on Nov 26 2019, 12:05am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 26 2019, 12:25am

Post #7 of 29 (1202 views)
Shortcut
Lady Eldien? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Anyone versed enough in Tolkien's linguistics able to tell if that's a masculine or feminine construction?

As with the name Lúthien, Eldien would be a feminine name, perhaps meaning 'daughter of the Eldar'.

#FidelityToTolkien

squire
Half-elven

Nov 26 2019, 12:42am

Post #8 of 29 (1204 views)
Shortcut
I love the idea of this being the leaked character list for the earlier movie project. [In reply to] Can't Post

"Other series regulars may include Faramir, a strong but warm younger son of the Duke; Merry, a witty and fast-thinking scamp; Aragorn, a woodsman and warrior who is older than he seems; Butterbur, a cheerful but unreliable innkeeper; Boromir, the Duke’s older son with an ambitious soul; Lobelia, the miserly village wise-woman; Legolas, a handsome archer with a sense of timelessness; Theoden, an older man whose fatherly ways hide his history of violence; and Gimli, a grim joker who doesn’t know how to keep a secret. "

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Nov 26 2019, 1:07am

Post #9 of 29 (1195 views)
Shortcut
Exactly what I thought! [In reply to] Can't Post

I wrote a post about the new character descriptions - most of them are just vague guesses, but I immediately thought there must be a connection between Beldor and Neldor, and I've always thought Beldor was Elrond.
You can read my post here, if you'd like.
https://the-wide-screen-with-leith-skilling.com/amazon-prime/the-lord-of-the-rings/amazon-primes-lord-of-the-rings-main-characters-revealed/

"It is my duty to fight" - Mulan

Solicitr
Rohan

Nov 26 2019, 7:24am

Post #10 of 29 (1138 views)
Shortcut
Not to mention this one [In reply to] Can't Post

On the way, their path is repeatedly beset by evil forces. First they are attacked by evil Orcs in the woods; next they are driven into the dark forest of Lothlorien, where they are imprisoned by the beautiful but evil Queen Beruthiel. They make their escape when Beruthiel's good sister, Galadriel, frees them from their prison-cell and floats them down the river in barrels.

Which was actually used by a lazy reporter for a major newspaper!

Mari D.
Rivendell

Nov 26 2019, 2:40pm

Post #11 of 29 (1067 views)
Shortcut
Wow, thanks for the nice analysis, Thor 'n' Oakenshield! [In reply to] Can't Post

Pleasant to read!

I think your guesses of who might be who are good.

I notice the letters of "Elrond" are nearly the same as those of Beldor, only shuffled, and so, seeing there is a Neldor now, I am pretty convinced he is Elros ;-) How COOL to have them both as major characters! Well, if the guess-work proves true! But I think it's likely. Smile

Oh, but will one actor play them both???????

(This post was edited by Mari D. on Nov 26 2019, 2:42pm)

Cirashala
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2019, 2:50pm

Post #12 of 29 (1059 views)
Shortcut
HOW??? [In reply to] Can't Post

How did they foul it up so, so badly and yet know the character Queen Beruthiel?? It's such an obscure character...wow.

On a side note, I'd love to see a spoof short video showing this! LOL Laugh

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

My historical novel print and kindle version

My historical novels ebook version compatible with all ereaders

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 26 2019, 3:02pm

Post #13 of 29 (1053 views)
Shortcut
The Snark is strong in this one. [In reply to] Can't Post

The synopsis that was taken from was intentionally wrong, but the journalist was too dim-witted to notice:

The London Sunday Times, in an article about Cate Blanchett's role as Galadriel in Peter Jackson's film version of The Lord of the Rings, demonstrated the high quality of its journalistic standards by choosing the Tolkien Sarcasm Page's synopsis of The Lord of the Rings as one of its primary sources. We at Flying Moose of Nargothrond applaud the Times' high standards of accuracy, journalistic integrity and wisdom.

Source: http://flyingmoose.org/tolksarc/blanchett.htm

#FidelityToTolkien

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Nov 26 2019, 3:04pm)

Cirashala
Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2019, 3:09pm

Post #14 of 29 (1048 views)
Shortcut
First rule of journalism [In reply to] Can't Post

ALWAYS check your source (facepalm).

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

My historical novel print and kindle version

My historical novels ebook version compatible with all ereaders

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

fantasywind
Bree

Nov 26 2019, 5:43pm

Post #15 of 29 (1012 views)
Shortcut
Main characters [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Where's Tauriel with her, "Why does it hurt so much?" hammy-acting with corny line when you need her. (Yes, some of this is admittedly painful).
On the reassuring side, these names include the audition-names using the purportedly mock-up audition scripts that we've already heard about, just plus some new ones.
Evidently, someone has been able to view the mock-up audition scenes for the cast and has transcribed the basic character traits from them.
For that reason, I would treat this with a heavy dose of caution - audition-scripts under placeholder names are never good and very rarely relate to the real plot, in substance, because the showrunners are not going to want the actual script and plot to be leaked to, like, thousands of actors and then millions of people more before the show has even got its cast.

If these are only fake names for casting purposes that hide 'real identities' I'll be overjoyed, if not this will turn out to be biggest fanfiction in the history and my interest in the series will come down to zero. At least it would make sense for Galadriel to be one of main protagonists, after all main bulk of early Second Age is her playing the role of big mover and shaker of events, after all the UT account on SA is in large part in History of Galadriel and Celeborn. Mariner's Wife would be far better familydrama than this soap opera-esque thing that comes out of those names and character descriptions from article, I would watch proper adaptation not some most expensive fanfiction.

Single mother mentioned among those, maybe hopefull it's merely simplification of Erendis? :) *sigh* man can only dream. Well single mothers in Tolkien stories are single because a) their husbands are dead, b) they were captured by godlike Dark Lord and put on a stone chair for 30 years :) c) there are none of the single mothers because mother is dead and the child is an orphan. All those minor names only Neldor and few others seem like from actual Sindarin, neldor means 'beech', this ruggedly handsome soldier Calenon, could be Gil-galad? Oh who am I kidding they really could go on with this crap, but let's hope not, hope dies last as they say.

Tolkien wrote bits and pieces of actual dialogue between various characters in various stages of SA, why would they not use those and expand on them, ughh.

InTheChair
Lorien

Nov 26 2019, 8:01pm

Post #16 of 29 (986 views)
Shortcut
Ought to be placeholders [In reply to] Can't Post

It's difficult to imagine Amazon would spend exorbitant amounts of money on the rights, if they only intended to make up their own story anyway.

Not impossible though.

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Nov 26 2019, 9:00pm

Post #17 of 29 (967 views)
Shortcut
Fake names [In reply to] Can't Post

We would have definitely seen a couple of known names from the book among these characters if all these names are real. Even though they might make up a few characters, there are enough book-characters that have to be main players in the story, no matter where and when it takes place. I am 100% sure these names are fake to keep the story hidden from leaks.

Vocalist of the progressive doom rock band Mater Thallium.

Althoun
Lorien

Nov 26 2019, 10:13pm

Post #18 of 29 (949 views)
Shortcut
I'm with you [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
We would have definitely seen a couple of known names from the book among these characters if all these names are real. Even though they might make up a few characters, there are enough book-characters that have to be main players in the story, no matter where and when it takes place. I am 100% sure these names are fake to keep the story hidden from leaks.

Agreed, 'Oren' is very clearly Sauron anyway and if 'Beldor' (reserved, politically astute (i.e. "wise") warrior Elf who was too young to fight in the War of Wrath and is being portrayed by Hugo Weaving look-a-like Will Poulter) is not Elrond, I'd be absolutely shocked.

So I think we can, at bare minimum, identify the identities of those two characters - and arguably (although not definitively) 'Eldien' being Galadriel.

The others will, no doubt, be a mixture of 'canon' and 'new' characters - but the names are all placeholders (as is the dialogue and events in the audition scripts).

uncle Iorlas
Lorien

Nov 26 2019, 11:55pm

Post #19 of 29 (927 views)
Shortcut
eh [In reply to] Can't Post

I rather think what little we see about "Eldien" makes her sound much more like Celebrían, for whatever it's worth; of course I am quick to think of her, I've come to think the arc of her family has some of the richest potential in the second age. I kind of hope it means they were trying on a dynamic between her and Elrond in casting, but I'd like to think the sentiments could be better done. Of course casting aspersions from the cheap seats is easy...

Archestratie
Rivendell

Nov 27 2019, 12:36am

Post #20 of 29 (917 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

Agreed, 'Oren' is very clearly Sauron anyway and if 'Beldor' (reserved, politically astute (i.e. "wise") warrior Elf who was too young to fight in the War of Wrath and is being portrayed by Hugo Weaving look-a-like Will Poulter) is not Elrond, I'd be absolutely shocked.

So I think we can, at bare minimum, identify the identities of those two characters - and arguably (although not definitively) 'Eldien' being Galadriel.

The others will, no doubt, be a mixture of 'canon' and 'new' characters - but the names are all placeholders (as is the dialogue and events in the audition scripts).

Yep, 100% agree. If this is not the case I'll eat my hat. Well, no, not my hat, but my words LOL!

Man, my anticipation increases!!!!

Eruonen
Valinor

Nov 27 2019, 5:11am

Post #21 of 29 (899 views)
Shortcut
But who will play "Shiningmane-tar" the hunky, smoldering horse warden? [In reply to] Can't Post

Mari D.
Rivendell

Nov 27 2019, 12:51pm

Post #22 of 29 (830 views)
Shortcut
Same! / [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Man, my anticipation increases!!!!

2ndBreffest
Lorien

Nov 27 2019, 3:31pm

Post #23 of 29 (815 views)
Shortcut
yup [In reply to] Can't Post

so far, everything is pointing to this turning out to be absolute trash.

AshNazg
Gondor

Nov 29 2019, 12:31am

Post #24 of 29 (721 views)
Shortcut
Beldor, Neldor, Gondor, Mordor... [In reply to] Can't Post

Doesn’t ‘dor’ mean ‘land’ in Tolkien’s linguistics?

I think the show runners probably wouldn’t make an error like that unless they did zero research. The names are definitely fake.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 29 2019, 10:34am

Post #25 of 29 (657 views)
Shortcut
'dor' in Elvish [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Doesn’t ‘dor’ mean ‘land’ in Tolkien’s linguistics?

I think the show runners probably wouldn’t make an error like that unless they did zero research. The names are definitely fake.

Generally, yes; in both Sindarin and Quenya, 'dor' means land:
- Arnor ('royal-land')
- Endor ('middle-land'; Middle-earth)
- Eriador ('lonely-land')
- Gondor ('stone-land')
- Mordor ('black-land')
- Doriath (land of the fence)

I do find several examples of 'dor' as part of personal names: Dora Baggins; Dori of the Company of Thorin Oakenshield; Dorlas, an Adan of Brethil.

#FidelityToTolkien

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.