Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Has anyone ever compared film and book scenes?

Cirashala
Valinor

Nov 20 2019, 8:47pm

Post #1 of 10 (5688 views)
Shortcut
Has anyone ever compared film and book scenes? Can't Post

I know, I know. The books vs films (both LOTR and TH) have been discussed ad nauseum on here for the past twenty years Tongue
But I was more curious to see if anyone had compiled a list scene-for-scene of which scenes were solely in the books, which were in the films, and which were in both?

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd be curious to see such a compilation Smile It would be neat to see a list of what scenes were true to books, what book scenes were cut, and what scenes were very modified and/or switched up from the books.

Anyone done this?

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

My historical novel print and kindle version

My historical novels ebook version compatible with all ereaders

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 20 2019, 9:41pm

Post #2 of 10 (5658 views)
Shortcut
Not that I'm aware of, at least on TORN. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd be surprised if something like it isn't somewhere on the web.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

My original fantasy writing

My LOTR fan-fiction

squire
Half-elven

Nov 20 2019, 11:15pm

Post #3 of 10 (5659 views)
Shortcut
It would be a fun project [In reply to] Can't Post

As Annael says, it might well have already been done.

The starting point, which your question glosses over a bit, is to decide what constitutes a "scene". You refer to 'book scenes' and 'scenes solely in the books', so you must have something in mind that would allow us to subdivide the book into discrete parts smaller than the chapters. If one did that first, without reference to the movie, one might find that the movie scenes actually are not in accord with the book scenes in a clear enough way to make the comparisons that are the point of the project.

Not that it couldn't be done! I think a critical mind could find a really good middle road to achieve what you want. But I think it would be more work than many people would bargain for.

Want to try it?

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Solicitr
Gondor

Nov 21 2019, 1:21am

Post #4 of 10 (5647 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think it would be hard to come up with a list of scenes in the movies that simply don't exist in the book, and in film "scene" is a pretty firmly-defined unit.

Cirashala
Valinor

Nov 21 2019, 1:48am

Post #5 of 10 (5647 views)
Shortcut
Oh heavens no! O.O [In reply to] Can't Post

My husband and I are building our house (ourselves) right now, and I haven't got near the time to undertake such a task Shocked I am sick today, and I suppose I could have tried but I feel so horrid that I doubt I could make heads or tails of it right now Unsure

Hence the earlier question Wink

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

My historical novel print and kindle version

My historical novels ebook version compatible with all ereaders

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

Saruman
Bree

Nov 21 2019, 3:47pm

Post #6 of 10 (5603 views)
Shortcut
Off the top of my head... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't have time to compile such a master list, but if broken down by chapter, perhaps it's doable.

"At the Sign of the Prancing Pony" jumps out at me. There were so many things the movie got right, but also things that were left out or gone awry.

In the book...
1) The doorwarden of Bree doesn't die.
2) Merry goes off on his own and encounters a Black Rider, falling to the Black Breath. Would have loved to see this on film.
3) Frodo gets a little tipsy and sings atop a table, loosing his balance and falling, in the process putting on the Ring. This makes much more sense than him tripping without singing and the Ring guiding itself onto his finger.
4) Aragorn doesn't toss Frodo around like a ragdoll.
5) Bill Ferny is one of Saruman's spies and is described very vividly. Would have liked to have seen him in there.
6) There's no Nob. Which I suppose is alright.
7) Barliman is crucial with his late letter from Gandalf. This aspect of Barliaman & Gandalf's relationship is omitted from the film.

There's more, no doubt.

"I have seen it..."

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Dec 1 2019, 10:06pm

Post #7 of 10 (5307 views)
Shortcut
Ah, but you forgot the most important one... [In reply to] Can't Post

(8) Barliman Butterbur turning his entire head around to stare at Strider when questioned about him by Frodo, instead of - and I quote from page 156 of The Fellowship Of The Ring - "cocking an eye without turning his head".

This is such a minor nitpick, but it drives me insane every time I watch Fellowship. I mean, even Frodo was able to discreetly glance in Strider's direction without making it obvious! I can excuse so many things in Peter Jackson's films, but not that.

Anyway, carry on.

"It is my duty to fight" - Mulan

Solicitr
Gondor

Dec 2 2019, 12:17am

Post #8 of 10 (5293 views)
Shortcut
Much more broadly than that [In reply to] Can't Post

In the book, Bree is (at first) a respite- a friendly, homey place, where the houses may be a little tall, but there are hobbits around, the Big People are (except Ferny) friendly, and the food and beer are very good. It only gradually takes on more sinister undertones- and the first sinister undertone is the hooded Ranger in the corner.

Whereas PJ made the place completely ominous and threatening, the Pony a hangout for Middle-earth's scoundrels, rogues, bandits, road agents, highwaymen, cutpurses, and hired killers- certainly the extras all look that way (emphasized by sloppy quaffing).

Then there is the accidental Ring-donning filmed as Enter Noisy Terrifying Nightmare Dimension (with immediate Nazgul Alert broadcast).

And then of course he has Strider rough up Frodo (WTH?), and caps it with, of course, having the Nazgul themselves (not Ferny and friends) raid the Pony and (apparently) murder the hobbits in their beds, because (as always) the book just wasn't kewl enough for PJ's comic-book sensibilities

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Dec 2 2019, 4:25am)

Paulo Gabriel
Lorien

Dec 9 2019, 8:34am

Post #9 of 10 (4917 views)
Shortcut
Again echoing Joan Barger. [In reply to] Can't Post

"Jackson gave himself cameos all over the place, only removing his own several minutes of sword-fight scene from ROTK-M after having decided to give Lee's Saruman the heave-ho (and such an insult to someone who is truly a legend in fantasy and film is particularly gratuitous, given what Jackson decided to replace him with) — but already having given himself the luxury of appearing at Helm's Deep and at Bree, in what ought to have been a warning as so much else: belching directly into the camera at the audience, as he turns the homely town of Bree into a haunted house. Then there are the magical teleporting Jackson-Walshes, his and his colleague's children also turning up everywhere from Hobbiton to Rohan to Gondor. This is self-indulgence, and prima donna behaviour, and inexcusable. An artist's first concern should be his art: not silly prancing and coy in-jokes before the camera, but the material being recreated, is his proper concern".

Bravo, sir!

I will post the rest tomorrow.

Paulo Gabriel
Lorien

Dec 20 2019, 4:45pm

Post #10 of 10 (4542 views)
Shortcut
The other relevant quote which seems to agree with you. [In reply to] Can't Post

''This is why I say that Jackson et al failed in Bree -- by making it from the start a place of dank, dark, gloomy ugliness, and by losing the warmth and brightness of The Prancing Pony, timbers and tavernkeep together, they lost the opportunity to heighten the dramatic contrast between the apparently-real and normal world which the Fellowship is leaving behind, this safe can't-happen-here, where people feel secure that any bad crazy stuff is limited to suspicious furrin parts -- until the Black Riders show up. -- A point that does happen to have some bearing on real life as well, given how often after some crime or other one reads or hears shocked people saying "You never think of things like that happening here!" Ironically, given that horror is what Jackson is known for, he fails to make it really frightening, because he overdoes the cobwebs and pipe-organ, so to speak''.

Cool

(This post was edited by Paulo Gabriel on Dec 20 2019, 4:47pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.