Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*Finishes stocking the virtual bar* It's Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 17, 3:28am

Post #26 of 46 (358 views)
Shortcut
Roses, roses, roses [In reply to] Can't Post

and lavender :) It's a lovely time of year in the garden. Our front garden currently looks like this.

Not the nicest weather just now, though: windy and humid, with bursts of rain followed by a drying wind that's left the garden inhospitable to all my new seedlings.

It's been a week of catching up, after being away the previous week. I did get a reasonable amount of writing done, but I'm hoping for a more productive week ahead. Perhaps not tomorrow, though, which looks to be one of those days that's largely devoted to running messages. One of said messages is taking our coffee grinder in for repairs - it's a good quality burr grinder, and I'm seriously missing it since it's been out of action and we've been making do with a substitute. We'll appreciate it all the more when we get it home, though :)

I went outside a few minutes ago, and surprised the *ten* ducks that were paddling about on our pond. I've seen more at times, but not often. It's nice to be popular!

Wishing everyone a pleasant (what remains of the) weekend.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

sherlock
Gondor

Nov 17, 12:34pm

Post #27 of 46 (327 views)
Shortcut
Iíve been retired [In reply to] Can't Post

for almost three years now and the days still fly by. Iím amazed when I think about my old life of working and family to what it is now as a retired widow.

Any food or drink left?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 17, 2:27pm

Post #28 of 46 (317 views)
Shortcut
*inhales deeply* [In reply to] Can't Post

It feels like the fragrances are wafting out of those pics of your garden! Will you be drying some of the lavender?

And what kinds of ducks like to inhabit the pond? We've mostly mallards around here, and cormorants.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 17, 2:33pm

Post #29 of 46 (316 views)
Shortcut
Are you finding [In reply to] Can't Post

that it's amazing how much there is to do - you wonder how you ever got things done, when you had to work! How's the rest of the family?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 18, 3:00am

Post #30 of 46 (298 views)
Shortcut
Just heard that the computer is gone-burger. :( [In reply to] Can't Post

Dell doesn't make parts for it anymore (it's not *that* old!) and all the current motherboards have different connections, so I'll have to get a new one. (I'll put in a claim against my contents insurance to see if I can get anything back.)

What infuriates me is that this problem was caused by Dell but they won't make it right. Pirate

I don't care how reliable that computer has been (and it was really reliable) - I'm not replacing it with another Dell.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

My original fantasy writing

My LOTR fan-fiction

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 18, 4:41am

Post #31 of 46 (289 views)
Shortcut
Mallards. [In reply to] Can't Post

We often get one raising a litter in our little forest, which she then leads down to the pond for their first swim - a delightful sight when we're lucky enough to be looking at the right time! We get an occasional cormorant, too, which eats the frogs then disappears.

It's not the best lavender for drying. I do also have some "proper" lavender, which I might get around to drying one of these days...

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

CuriousG
Half-elven

Nov 18, 3:18pm

Post #32 of 46 (280 views)
Shortcut
I think, back in the First Age, Dell was a good, reliable company, but not today. [In reply to] Can't Post

The custom Dell I bought in 2008 barely made it 5 years before the video card blew, and generally, I don't hear glowing reports about their service like I used to. Sorry about your computer.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 19, 3:17am

Post #33 of 46 (246 views)
Shortcut
Doris, Food, and Fiesta! What else could we need? :D [In reply to] Can't Post

And yes, this is another flyby! I was out of town all week and am still trying to catch up with myself! All is well and Dex is coming along very well. He's finally getting the Picc line (for intravenous medications daily) out on Wednesday!! I've still got a few road trips coming up, then I'm hibernating for the rest of the winter!!! Que sera sera ;)
Thanks for taking such great care us!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 19, 3:25am

Post #34 of 46 (246 views)
Shortcut
Hooray and Bummer! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is SO EXCITING! Oh geez, Ataahua... WELL DONE!! :D I'm so glad you got it done before your computer got trashed. That just so wrong, and Dell should pay for the repair!!! *raises glass* Here's to starting on your next book!!!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 19, 1:15pm

Post #35 of 46 (220 views)
Shortcut
Love Doris Day!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a voice! And all of the movies she made that, imho, defined an era of fun, romp films.
I hope your pleasant Autumn days. The snow is melting out my window and we were very close to 40 degrees Monday! Great for unpacking a week's worth of stuff from hobbity only to repack it again in a few days ;) Thanksgiving is around the corner, and I hope yours is awesome!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 19, 1:21pm

Post #36 of 46 (221 views)
Shortcut
Can you believe November's past halfway? [In reply to] Can't Post

Time is just flying by! I'm glad you had a break from your routine. I hope you had a chance to recharge your batteries and are ready for the holidays! I've told Baltimore daughter that I won't be driving out for Christmas every year as I have for the past 14+ I just can't drive the mountains in winter weather. SO I'll be going in the Spring and/or Fall when an awesome local auctioneer has some massively fun auctions in his huge barn and property.

I hope your have a great week and have fun building some ornaments. Those make fantastic gifts, too :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Nov 19, 1:21pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 19, 1:28pm

Post #37 of 46 (222 views)
Shortcut
Dell just blew it [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so sorry. Report it to the Better Business Bureau. They're obviously creating the situation to make more sales... shame on them for not honouring their product. I have 2 external hard drives to backup my "stuff" after my computer melted down years ago. I'm so sorry. I've always had good luck with Hewlett Packard. My desktop is about 10 years old and still works well enough for me to trust it. I have had to have work done on it, but my computer guy is a wizard and finds parts that aren't available.

Good luck. I hope you can retrieve your info. Such a nasty hit to take. *hugs*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 19, 1:36pm

Post #38 of 46 (220 views)
Shortcut
Congrats on the decorating! [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing is more satisfying than to finish (almost ;) a huge project and have it shine with wonderfulness! Yeah, the doors will be a separate project. Again, the prep and setup are the hardest part of any project. *high five* WELL DONE!!!! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 19, 4:08pm

Post #39 of 46 (214 views)
Shortcut
I hope you feel better for the holidays :) [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a long time to struggle with a cold. Hard to taste all the goodies we enjoy during the holidays, so I hope you're able to heal up for that.

I'm down to 1 feral/outdoor cat now, but for years I've had a small cozy area in the garage in front of a window with bales of straw to create a place to hide from the cold. I also have a heated water bowl nearby. In the REALLY cold sub-zero temps, I have a heat lamp dangling above the straw bed well away from the bales ;) It heats up the area at least 20 degrees warmer. They always refused a "dog house" of any kind. They like it to be open. At times, I also piled bales of straw around a window-well of the basement with straw on the bottom of the well where heat from the house would come through the window and warm things up a bit.

I hope you feel better :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 19, 4:29pm

Post #40 of 46 (213 views)
Shortcut
Our little gray cat turns out to be a girl. [In reply to] Can't Post

When we brought Loki home as a kitten, he was so active that it was hard to check, we just thought his balls hadn't yet dropped. We've since come to realize that he is a she, though still very energetic. Soon we'll be taking her off of the kitten food.

#FidelityToTolkien

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 19, 5:51pm

Post #41 of 46 (207 views)
Shortcut
Now that yard is properly awake! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the missing grinder is grinding into you productive writing ;) Here's hoping that grinder comes home soon!
LOVE the duck population growing :D It would be so much fun to watch them... they're always so busy! My Mom had several in her corner of the lake where they would occasionally go for walks, single file, into various back yards. That waddle is SO CUTE! I hope you can enjoy them all summer long and watch the hatchlings grow and waddle along in line behind mom and dad!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 19, 5:53pm

Post #42 of 46 (209 views)
Shortcut
Uh-oh... [In reply to] Can't Post

With the name of Loki, I hope she's a bit less manipulative than the original ;) So sweet :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 19, 5:55pm

Post #43 of 46 (207 views)
Shortcut
Me Too! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was just thinking about that, too, and was reliving my days in the chair at work. The time really does fly by so fast! *raises mug* Here's to retirement!!! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Nov 19, 9:48pm

Post #44 of 46 (194 views)
Shortcut
Doors always seem to end up white - [In reply to] Can't Post

they have four panels each, and these have been painted a different colour from time to time, but as the window frames are white I keep them matching.

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Nov 19, 9:50pm

Post #45 of 46 (197 views)
Shortcut
All done now - had a messy moment today [In reply to] Can't Post

when I threw brushes into hot soapy water that should have been cleaned in turps substitute/white spirit/don't know what you call it in the US.Blush They were salvaged eventually!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 20, 11:49am

Post #46 of 46 (164 views)
Shortcut
How Rude! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh geez... to think you're done and BOOM... there's another mess to clean up! I do that sort of thing ALL THE TIME! But it also means you've used a good, long-lasting paint. I'm so happy for you that you're done! :D *high five*
We use acetone or mineral spirits... or gasoline! NOT all together! ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.