Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the sunny day reading thread!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 19, 3:32pm

Post #1 of 7 (224 views)
Shortcut
It's the sunny day reading thread! Can't Post

We're expecting a temperature of almost 80F today, when last week this time the temperature was struggling to reach 30F. There are seasons of the year here in Texas you almost get the bends from the abrupt changes in the weather. Shocked

On paper, I read The Sayers Swindle by Victoria Abbott. This is the second in a cozy mystery series focused on a cozy mystery bookstore. I haven't read the first, The Christie Curse, and could tell, because several important aspects of this installment referred back to it. Still, it's an enjoyable enough read, with the usual likeable if quirky characters.

On audio, I listened to The First Eagle, an early Tony Hillerman Chee and Leaphorn mystery. As always, I enjoy the landscapes and Navajo lore. All Hillerman's books have many scenes of the characters driving long distances, and in this one, that's a factor in the plot. Chee and other Indian police officers often work in remote places without back-up.

I'm now finishing up another audiobook, this one non-fiction. It's I'm So Glad We Had This Time Together, written and read by comedian Carol Burnett. It's a series of anecdotes about her life, the famous people she's dealt with, behind the scenes in her TV show, and so forth. Most of the stories are funny, including several that made me laugh out loud, but there are a few poignant ones.

So what have you been reading?

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 19, 4:33pm

Post #2 of 7 (201 views)
Shortcut
Re-reading 'Good Omens' [In reply to] Can't Post

I read Good Omens a few years ago, but without much new on my nightstand, and with the television series out there, I decided to give it a re-read. So far, we've only seen the first episode of the show; I love David Tennant as Crowley.

#FidelityToTolkien

Annael
Immortal

Nov 19, 4:58pm

Post #3 of 7 (199 views)
Shortcut
Just finishing up listening to the BBC radio version of LOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

not exactly a book on tape as it is a dramatization, but as I've read the books 60+ times I can fill in the left-out parts.

I've also just started a fantasy novel by a new author, none other than our own Ataahua, called "The Arcanist's Tattoo," and I'm totally sucked into it.

I'm also reading Ilmatar's notes on "The Kalevala" preparatory to reading that work.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Nov 20, 7:33am

Post #4 of 7 (179 views)
Shortcut
Tony Hillerman is one of my favorites [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't try to solve the mystery, just enjoy the narrative
Don't think I'm familiar with The First Eagle, will have to check the library for it (on my income I'm a big fan of libraries)

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Nov 20, 11:03am

Post #5 of 7 (172 views)
Shortcut
Me too. [In reply to] Can't Post

He's a fantastic Crowley, to the point that I can't imagine anyone else playing him now. You're in for a treat, because he only gets better as it continues.

I've always loved Crowley, though. There's something about how he twists himself into contortions trying not to do any real damage to anyone while having the most to lose if things go south that immediately got to me.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 20, 3:25pm

Post #6 of 7 (156 views)
Shortcut
Me three [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought the dramatization of Good Omens was one of the best I've ever seen, but then, one of the authors (Gaiman) did it himself. Superb!

The ending of the dramatization goes on further than the ending of the book but works beautifully.

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Annael
Immortal

Nov 20, 9:09pm

Post #7 of 7 (130 views)
Shortcut
I liked the dramatization better than the book for that reason [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Gaiman fixed a few other things along the way as well.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.