Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Middle-earth TV Series Discussion:
Amazon renews series for Season 2; sets hiatus after filming of Season 1 episodes 1 & 2

Hasuwandil
Rivendell

Nov 19, 3:37am

Post #1 of 6 (626 views)
Shortcut
Amazon renews series for Season 2; sets hiatus after filming of Season 1 episodes 1 & 2 Can't Post

Deadline is reporting that Amazon has decided to renew the series for a second season. Although Amazon has already committed to multiple seasons in their agreement for the TV rights, the Amazon Prime Video network still needs to formally renew each season before the team can get started working on it. At the same time, the series will go on a four to five month hiatus after filming the first two episodes. The idea appears to be to shorten the break between Seasons 1 and 2:

Taking a break after the opening episode or two is standard practice for shows with straight-to-series orders as it allows producers and executives to step back and evaluate the footage much like they would do with a pilot. By going on a longer than normal hiatus, LOTR will be ready with Season 2 scripts so it could possibly film some Season 2 footage during the Season 1 shoot or even film the remainder of Season 1 and Season 2 back-to-back.

They don't really say how this will affect the air date of the start of the series, though.

Full article: Deadline

Hl Auriwandil, angil berhtost,
oƀar Middangard mannum gisandid!

Mari D.
Rivendell

Nov 19, 1:21pm

Post #2 of 6 (529 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for sharing :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like they have a reasonable plan. Smile

And in season 1, not too many scenes will take place in winter Tongue

I wish them all the best. As the weeks pass by, I notice myself settling on the expectation that the series will have aspects of high quality that I can admire, no matter if I'll like it as a whole (I might, but there's no guarantee, so much is still unknown). It could turn out bad. It could turn out plain ingenious. But I look forward to it. I'll be able to appreciate something, that's now my calm confidence.

Archestratie
Rivendell

Nov 19, 2:04pm

Post #3 of 6 (521 views)
Shortcut
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Deadline is reporting that Amazon has decided to renew the series for a second season. Although Amazon has already committed to multiple seasons in their agreement for the TV rights, the Amazon Prime Video network still needs to formally renew each season before the team can get started working on it. At the same time, the series will go on a four to five month hiatus after filming the first two episodes. The idea appears to be to shorten the break between Seasons 1 and 2:

Taking a break after the opening episode or two is standard practice for shows with straight-to-series orders as it allows producers and executives to step back and evaluate the footage much like they would do with a pilot. By going on a longer than normal hiatus, LOTR will be ready with Season 2 scripts so it could possibly film some Season 2 footage during the Season 1 shoot or even film the remainder of Season 1 and Season 2 back-to-back.

They don't really say how this will affect the air date of the start of the series, though.

Full article: Deadline

It might be that the air date will be kept the same so they don't violate their deadline with the estate. Then they can take their time to do the series the way they want once the first two episodes are out.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 19, 2:22pm

Post #4 of 6 (514 views)
Shortcut
Airdate Deadline? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

It might be that the air date will be kept the same so they don't violate their deadline with the estate. Then they can take their time to do the series the way they want once the first two episodes are out.

I don't recall any specific deadline being set for the series' premiere date, only for the start of production.

#FidelityToTolkien

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Nov 19, 2:22pm)

Hasuwandil
Rivendell

Nov 20, 6:17am

Post #5 of 6 (371 views)
Shortcut
Getting it right before the air date [In reply to] Can't Post

True. The most official thing we've heard is Jennifer Salke's statement that they were aiming for a 2021 air date, but some people would prefer a 2020 air date. However, that was over a year ago. We have no way of knowing if the hiatus will affect the air date.

I do think the news is good overall. It indicates that Amazon is going to take the time to do things right. Several thoughts have occurred to me:
  • The article mentioned filming part of Season 2 with Season 1, or even filming both seasons back to back, but it occurred to me that they could film pick up shots for the first two episodes, or even script rewrites, during the main Season 1 filming.
  • The fact that Amazon has given Season 2 the green light already appears to demonstrate faith in the existing writing team.
  • Finally, would Amazon release the Season 1 episodes all together, or would they release the first two episodes in advance of the rest of Season 1?

Hl Auriwandil, angil berhtost,
oƀar Middangard mannum gisandid!

fantasywind
Bree

Nov 20, 3:04pm

Post #6 of 6 (307 views)
Shortcut
Number of seasons and publishing [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
True. The most official thing we've heard is Jennifer Salke's statement that they were aiming for a 2021 air date, but some people would prefer a 2020 air date. However, that was over a year ago. We have no way of knowing if the hiatus will affect the air date.
I do think the news is good overall. It indicates that Amazon is going to take the time to do things right. Several thoughts have occurred to me:
  • The article mentioned filming part of Season 2 with Season 1, or even filming both seasons back to back, but it occurred to me that they could film pick up shots for the first two episodes, or even script rewrites, during the main Season 1 filming.
  • The fact that Amazon has given Season 2 the green light already appears to demonstrate faith in the existing writing team.
  • Finally, would Amazon release the Season 1 episodes all together, or would they release the first two episodes in advance of the rest of Season 1?

There was a talk about 5 seasons already, but it seems it's the same everywhere, Witcher tv show on Netflix already got green light for season 2 (and the showrunner talking about 7 seasons in total) even though the first season of witcher haven't yet arrived. It seems that they are buying a cat in the sack so to speak, we can't say how good this will be yet but for big studios being sure in themselves and the success of their work it may seem natural (but the fate the executives may have in the writing team doesn't mean anything and we're yet to see the effects of creative choices, or level of faithfulness or quality of adaptation in general). As I am fan of both Lotr and Witcher I will say I'll judge their work when it comes (and for witcher there are already things that I'm not sure I like). We'll see. But the fact it gets second season is not indicating anything substantial, though it may prove beneficial for writing and continuity.

The date of release was never confirmed (and basically so far we have little to no confirmed things, except for the members of creative team :)). I would say that if they would shoot two seasons back to back would mean shorter time before release of the seasons at the very least. But when the premiere of the pilot will be is still a mystery.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.