The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Weapons capable of wounding Smaug?

Stronghold
The Shire

Nov 13 2019, 4:36am

Post #1 of 12 (4363 views)
Shortcut
Weapons capable of wounding Smaug? Can't Post

Did the Elves ever forge a blade that might have pierced dragon scale? Angrist maybe? Or, by the end of Age 3 was Smaug just grown too tough for even a blade of eol?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 13 2019, 6:41am

Post #2 of 12 (4334 views)
Shortcut
Weapons of the High Elves and Dwarves [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think the Mirkwood Elves would have had such weapons, but I expect that the High Elves of the First Age would have produced a few that would have pierced Smaug's hide--even through his jeweled armor. The same could probably be said for the Dwarves of Belegost, Nogrod and Khazad-dûm.

Aeglos: The spear of Gil-galad.
Anglachel: Sword forged of meteoric iron by the Teleri Elf Eöl; reforged as Gurthang.
Angrist: Knife made by Telchar of Nogrod; it would have probably have had to be reworked into a spearhead to be able to seriously injure Smaug.
Anguirel: The sword of Eöl; mate to Anglachel.

#FidelityToTolkien

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Nov 13 2019, 6:43am)

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Nov 14 2019, 9:22pm

Post #3 of 12 (4295 views)
Shortcut
Well if one mangy black arrow from Bard could do it [In reply to] Can't Post

I would imagine that the wood-elves would have more than a few. Especially if added with Dwarven technology. Or at a pinch some could have travelled to Lorien and obtained a weapon or two.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 15 2019, 1:25am

Post #4 of 12 (4289 views)
Shortcut
I assume we are discussing Smaug of the films. [In reply to] Can't Post

Jackson's Smaug is depicted as several times larger than his literary namesake, and presumably even more difficult to injure and kill. The arrows of the Wood-elves would have been little more than mosquito bites to the film-dragon, though the Sindar of Mirkwood might have possessed a few weapons capable of inconveniencing the beast.

#FidelityToTolkien

2ndBreffest
Lorien

Nov 16 2019, 10:45am

Post #5 of 12 (4267 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

apparently they could have just melted down all the gold in Esgaroth and fired it at Smaug with a huge catapult, possibly even a kind of fire-hose, and he would have become so heavy he would have sunk into the Long Lake and drowned.

sparrowruth
Rivendell

Nov 18 2019, 4:05am

Post #6 of 12 (4223 views)
Shortcut
no matter which version of Smaug we are talking about... [In reply to] Can't Post

that arrow did have to hit the one spot where he was missing a scale. I had assumed that Stronghold was wondering about weapons capable of getting through Smaug's scaly armour. Though indeed, I wouldn't be surprised if the elves had known about the missing scale and gotten close enough to aim at it, they could have killed Smaug just as easily

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 18 2019, 2:52pm

Post #7 of 12 (4213 views)
Shortcut
Smaug of the films is a bit more problematic. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I had assumed that Stronghold was wondering about weapons capable of getting through Smaug's scaly armour. Though indeed, I wouldn't be surprised if the elves had known about the missing scale and gotten close enough to aim at it, they could have killed Smaug just as easily

The dragon was so huge in the Hobbit movies that I'm not sure that any normal arrow could have reached his heart. Or would have even killed him if it had done so.

#FidelityToTolkien

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Nov 18 2019, 2:53pm)

sparrowruth
Rivendell

Nov 20 2019, 7:21pm

Post #8 of 12 (4173 views)
Shortcut
Good point, Otaku [In reply to] Can't Post

Solicitr
Gondor

Nov 20 2019, 7:38pm

Post #9 of 12 (4173 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ's Smaug would have required one of these

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 21 2019, 12:59am

Post #10 of 12 (4152 views)
Shortcut
Sure! [In reply to] Can't Post

It worked on Roland Emmerich's Godzilla.

#FidelityToTolkien

Paulo Gabriel
Lorien

Nov 21 2019, 8:18am

Post #11 of 12 (4126 views)
Shortcut
lmao [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

2ndBreffest
Lorien

Nov 24 2019, 11:25am

Post #12 of 12 (4074 views)
Shortcut
haha [In reply to] Can't Post

Sadly, I wouldn't have been the least bit surprised if PJ had actually done that.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.