Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the Guy Fawkes Day reading thread!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 5, 6:10pm

Post #1 of 12 (470 views)
Shortcut
It's the Guy Fawkes Day reading thread! Can't Post

Not that we celebrate Guy Fawkes Day here in the US, but right now it's mizzling outside, reminding me of the UK Tongue

I'm on the last, summing-up chapters of The Hidden History of the Bayeux Tapestry by Andrew Bridgeford. It's been an enjoyable and informative ride, although I must admit that while I breezed through the early chapters, his detailed descriptions and interpretations of the individual scenes in the tapestry, I bogged down a bit in the historical minutiae of the later chapters. Still, a fascinating read.

Also on paper I read The Widows of Malabar Hill, by Sujata Massey. This is less a mystery novel than a story of women's empowerment in 1921 Bombay. The contrast and comparison between all the different sexist traditions---Hindu, Muslim, Parsi, British---make for an interesting background and do play into the actual mystery part of the story.

Also on paper, I read a book titled There is a Wideness, by Mark McAllister. McAllister is the cousin of a friend, who gave me his 2004 book to read. I was a bit dubious at first, since it was published by a "inspirational" Christian press, but while it is indeed an inspirational story with religious themes, none of the above are heavy-handed.

McAllister's novel is a fictionalized version of the horrendous school explosion in East Texas in 1937, which cost almost 300 lives, mostly children. His mother missed being in the school at the time of the explosion by only seconds. The story concerns a man who lost his sister in the disaster and an elderly man who finds him in the cemetery ten years later. It's well-written, with strong voices and memorable characters. And I will add that the small press publisher did a better job editing and copy-editing than some large publishers do!

I also listened to the audiobook of Jeeves in the Morning, another P.G Wodehouse Jeeves and Bertie novel. I think I've heard/read one too many of these, because it was a good third of the way into the book before I decided I hadn't read it before, it's just that Wodehouse returned again and again to the same situations and characters. But his writing is still highly amusing, despite a couple of jarring racist remarks sadly typical of the time.

Whew! What have you been reading?

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 5, 6:33pm

Post #2 of 12 (436 views)
Shortcut
" Remember, remember! The fifth of November," [In reply to] Can't Post

The Gunpowder treason and plot;
I know of no reason
Why the Gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot!

I think I'd pull out my copy of V for Vendetta and read it if the graphic novel wasn't in storage. Maybe I'll re-watch the movie. Right now, I'm light on new books to read. I've got The One Ring RPG 2nd ed. on pre-order but the team at Cubicle 7 is giving the book another round of proofreading and editing before they release the PDF. The physical book won't ship until early next year.

#FidelityToTolkien

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Nov 5, 10:03pm)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 5, 10:05pm

Post #3 of 12 (419 views)
Shortcut
Sorry Otaku, [In reply to] Can't Post

I've removed the image because it's very oversized. Here are the details for images posted on TORN - feel free to resize it and post it again within this thread:

The specific guidelines for posting pictures within the message body of your post are as follows: the maximum size of any picture posted should be 525 wide x 400 pixels high (or a better measure is: 210,000 pixels squared - width x height), but no wider than 670 pixels. The maximum file size per picture should be 45k. The cumulative file size of all pictures in one post should not exceed 225k (5 pictures of the maximum filesize of 45k, 10 pictures of a filesize of 22.5k, etc.).

http://newboards.theonering.net/...;;page=unread#unread

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 5, 10:45pm

Post #4 of 12 (417 views)
Shortcut
S'okay. [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought the image was probably all right but I knew it might be close to the limit. It wasn't important for the post in any case! I should have tried googling the image to find a smaller one.

Front cover for The One Ring Ė The Lord of the Rings Roleplaying Game Standard Edition:

The Collector's Edition:

I pre-ordered the Standard Edition. It's still a bit pricey, but still much more affordable by comparison.

#FidelityToTolkien

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Nov 5, 11:00pm)

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 6, 2:59am

Post #5 of 12 (403 views)
Shortcut
Currently obsessed with Outlander [In reply to] Can't Post

For some reason I picked up the first Outlander novel on Kindle earlier this year, and loved it, and am now mainlining the series. I'm halfway through book 6 and, at the same time, halfway through season 4 of the TV series. I love the way that through the device of 20th century characters the 18th century is given new life.

Storm clouds

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Nov 6, 8:08pm

Post #6 of 12 (374 views)
Shortcut
I had a few things started [In reply to] Can't Post

but I can't seem to finish anything.

I started American Gods. Oh my gosh, what a book! But it got too dark for me tight now so I just couldn't keep going. I'll go back to it though. Neil Gaiman is amazing.

I'm listening to the Night Watch Series. Terry Pratchett always brings a smile to my face. I have the Witches series on order. I decided to buy them because I know I'll go back and read them because, well, Terry.

I'm also listening to Neil Gaiman's Masterclass. He's a fantastic teacher. It feel like I've got a tutor who is giving me just the right amount of advice and then a gentle push to do better. II've already tried some of his tips while writing my NaNo novel.

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Annael
Immortal

Nov 10, 4:19pm

Post #7 of 12 (197 views)
Shortcut
Still working my way through the Samuel Craddock murder mysteries [In reply to] Can't Post

by Terry Shames. Low-key, heavily focused on character.

And still reading "Love Beyond Belief" which is slow-going partly because it's so thought-provoking!

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around Ö The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 12, 3:41pm

Post #8 of 12 (182 views)
Shortcut
It's the full moon reading thread! [In reply to] Can't Post

I decided to go with the full moon as this week's, er, logo, because we all have that, whereas only a swathe of the US is experiencing below-freezing temperatures. (We were driving north yesterday and drove right into the cold front coming south. The temperature outside the car dropped from 70F to 60F in one mile, and reached 42F, with rain, by the time we got home.)

Last week I read The Shape of Night by Tess Gerritsen. I've never read anything of hers, and, to tell the truth, have avoided her work because of her reputation for explicit violence. However, a friend recommended this book because it's a haunted-house story, and I do love those. It is indeed a contemporary-traditional haunted-house story, very nicely done. There was a bit more sexual material than I was comfortable with, but of course YMMV.

I'm almost finished listening to Alexandria, by Lindsay Davis, one of her Marcus Didius Falco ancient Rome mysteries. In this one, Falco and his family journey to Alexandria only to find themselves caught up in a mystery surrounding the great library. I've enjoyed the descriptions of the area from Falco's first-century point of view. The narrator's voice is street-wise British, which seems just right.

So what have you been reading?

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 12, 7:49pm

Post #9 of 12 (167 views)
Shortcut
The Assassin's Apprentice, by Robin Hobb. [In reply to] Can't Post

An illegitimate son of a Crown Prince results in the Prince's abdication. The boy is brought up in the palace's stables by the horsemaster and faces a great many challenges in his young and lonely life.

This is the first book I've read by Hobb. I had intended it to be the last because of the terrible life of the protagonist - whenever something good happened to him, something terrible would occur to the thing or person that had made him happy, every single time. It made me dread what would happen next. But then I got to the end of it and I'm intrigued about how the story will develop so I will probably pick up the next book at some point ... just not soon.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Annael
Immortal

Nov 13, 4:08pm

Post #10 of 12 (103 views)
Shortcut
ah, but [In reply to] Can't Post

the Fool is one of the most memorable characters I've come across in fantasy. I'd stick with it - at least the first six books. The last trilogy was meh, and I couldn't get into the other books that tie in. But the Farseer Trilogy and the Fitz and the Fool Trilogy are well worth it.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around Ö The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

Annael
Immortal

Nov 13, 4:09pm

Post #11 of 12 (104 views)
Shortcut
I'm making a stab at the Kalevala. [In reply to] Can't Post

Using our Ilmarinen's notes!

-- Gaston Bachelard

sherlock
Gondor

Nov 17, 12:41pm

Post #12 of 12 (77 views)
Shortcut
Iím watching [In reply to] Can't Post

His Dark Materials on HBO so I decided to read the book. Iím going to try not to get ahead in the book so I donít spoil the show. Does that make sense? Iím enjoying both.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.