Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Elf-Man pairings before the choice of the Half Elven

ange1e4e5
Rohan

Oct 17, 8:11pm

Post #1 of 5 (1033 views)
Shortcut
Elf-Man pairings before the choice of the Half Elven Can't Post

In the years before the choice was given to be Elf or Man to the Half Elven, where did the souls of Men bonded with Elves go and vice versa? IE, where did Dior's soul go, as the son of Beren (a Man) and Luthien (an Elf)? What of the soul of Nimloth his wife, given that she was bonded to him? Did Maeglin not think things through regarding the eternal bonds between Idril and Tuor when he tried to rape Idril and how that would make his schemes fruitless?

I always follow my job through.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 17, 8:27pm

Post #2 of 5 (1023 views)
Shortcut
My best guess. [In reply to] Can't Post

I would speculate that Half-elven not descended from Eärendil and Elwing default to the Doom of Men. This would include any undocumented Half-elves such as the ancestor(s) of Prince Imrahil of Dol Amroth.

"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." - DRWolf (after John C. Maxwell)

Solicitr
Rohan

Oct 18, 1:26pm

Post #3 of 5 (985 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

The Valar didn't have the power to take away the Gift of Men; the judgment of Earendil, Elwing and their offspring was a special case, in which Manwe was given authority by Eru. Otherwise, any part-Man was a Man, period.

Cirashala
Tol Eressea

Nov 12, 2:12am

Post #4 of 5 (121 views)
Shortcut
Out of curiosity [In reply to] Can't Post

What would happen to the elf half of the interracial marriages pre-Earendil and Elwing? We know that the Mannish half would still die due to the Gift of Men, but what would happen to the elf that wed him/her (I say her solely to touch upon the ill-fated romance of Aegnor and Andreth, since if there hadn't been a war undoubtedly that would have ended in marriage as well)?
I would wonder, given the emphasis upon which Tolkien ascribed to elven marriage bonds (truly unbreakable, except in Finwe and Miriel's case), what would happen to an elf who had bonded with a mortal in marriage. Would they be automatically granted and/or offered the Gift of Men, or would they be doomed to live forever after the death of their spouse (likely perish from grief and go to the Halls of Mandos, but then what?).

If that were the case-that they'd live in grief forever afterward (either in Valinor, or in ME itself), then I can definitely understand why such a marriage would have been very rare. The elf in question would have to accept that they would experience grief and being alone for the rest of their lives, and whether or not they could endure such permanent separation from their deceased spouse.

But if their two souls became one, then one has to wonder what would become of the non-mortal spouses after the mortal one died.

My writing and novels:

My Hobbit Fanfiction

My historical novel print and kindle version

My historical novels ebook version compatible with all ereaders

You can also find my novel at most major book retailers online (and for those outside the US who prefer a print book, you can find the print version at Book Depository). Search "Amazing Grace Amanda Longpre'" to find it.

Happy reading everyone!

Solicitr
Rohan

Nov 12, 4:54pm

Post #5 of 5 (76 views)
Shortcut
Eternal separation [In reply to] Can't Post

which is why it almost never happened. Aegnor turned down Andreth largely for that reason. Mithrellas did a runner on Imrazor rather than get too attached. It was painful enough for Luthien and Arwen, to remain with their hubbies but say goodbye forever to their parents and blood kin.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.