Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*Props open doors* Come join us for Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 8, 5:09pm

Post #1 of 39 (823 views)
Shortcut
*Props open doors* Come join us for Fiesta Friday! Can't Post

Greetings, everyone Welcome to Fiesta!

It was a week of work deadlines and hospital visits for me (sister is out of the ICU but still very weak). But, it's a glorious fall day here today with not a cloud in the sky, and it's supposed to be as nice all weekend, so I'm going to get outside and rake some leaves and get rid of various other brown foliage.

In case you missed it, this week there was a very special TORn Tuesday with gobs of alumni from the Lord of the Rings movies. The archive is on Youtube here. I didn't get to watch the whole thing, so that's also on my weekend to-do list.

What do you have planned for this weekend? The buffet is brimming with your favorite savory and sweet goodies, and the bar is stocked with your favorite libations (we know these things here at the Fiesta bar), so let us know!

*puts quarters on juke box* play us a nice 'outdoors' kind of song and have a wonderful weekend! HeartHeartCool

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Nov 8, 5:10pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 8, 5:44pm

Post #2 of 39 (782 views)
Shortcut
*runs in* Coffee, extra-large, with extra Bailey's, please! [In reply to] Can't Post

The hordes have descended non-stop since the start of school this morning - the teachers for two middle-school grades decided their kids weren't reading enough, so they've been bringing them all in to browse and check out mass quantities of books and magazines!

This is in addition to the normal heavy Friday schedule of younger grades coming in for stories, lessons, and checkouts.

So I've been running around like Barliman, making sure everyone is well served. Laugh Ah, the joys of library life - and physical books are alive and well!

I'm glad your sister's out of the ICU, how is she feeling, and how's her recuperation going?

Our friend came by yesterday with his high-power blower and blew the leaves into the woods around the house, so we'll only have to rake the few remaining when they decide to fall. It's sort of sad to see the annuals withering in the cooler temps.

*puts quarter in juke box, selects "Rocky Mountain High"* How about some John Denver? Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 8, 5:55pm

Post #3 of 39 (786 views)
Shortcut
You must be psychic [In reply to] Can't Post

I was actually humming "Sunshine on My Shoulders" by John Denver right after I posted about how sunny it is here today. So, good choice of a song! Laugh
Sounds like the library is a pretty lively place today! That's encouraging, indeed. My sister isn't doing all that well. There are still a lot of toxins in her body, but at least she's out of the woods of needing intensive care.

We have a small electric leaf blower that does pretty well. I'll probably get it out depending on how the side of the house looks. Otherwise, the wind from our last storm did a fine job of getting rid of most of the leaves. I also want to clear out some of those brown annuals, and perennials that will come back, but are brown for now.

Have a great weekend! Heart

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 8, 6:45pm

Post #4 of 39 (780 views)
Shortcut
Good news re: your Sister [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so glad she's improving; yet it's still hard to see her so weakened. I hope she's well enough to enjoy the Holidays; but this is definitely the best gift you could have :D

Thank you for the link! I'm going to find a quiet stretch of time and sit with this, a warm drink, and a massive smile on my face!

We got good news on Dex... the drs are VERY happy with his progress; but Balti (daughter) is noticing some pronounced neurological concerns. More drs and hopefully word that it's a response to what he's been going through. Good news, too, that dad and daughter are getting along very well now. Sad news that Balti's Mother-in-law has been extremely ill for over a year; so we're expecting a phone call any day now. I'll head to Indy and stay with Dex while Balti heads home. Isn't it amazing how things seem to hit at once? All I know is I'm going to chew my food thoroughly and drive very carefully. So don't worry if I disappear. It's all a part of my mad plan for attention *rubs hands together*

I hope you have fun raking in this sweet break of the weather and that your Sister continues to improve. Thank you for taking such great care of us :D
Have a great weekend everyone!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Nov 8, 6:52pm)

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Nov 8, 6:48pm

Post #5 of 39 (781 views)
Shortcut
Greetings! A day of glorious sun here today [In reply to] Can't Post

making the colours of the autumn leaves glow. Some parts of England had ridiculous amounts of rain yesterday and are suffering for it, but we got off lightly around here. Tonight is forecast frosty with wintry showers on the hills - only the second frosty morning in my temperate corner of the Shire, so I consider myself lucky! I have two grandsons on the premises for a sleepover, to let Mummy and Daddy spend a fun couple of hours at the DIY store tonight, then have a lie on in the morning.
I hope your sister's improvement continues, even if it's slow, Altaira. I must catch up on that archive - thanks for posting the link!

It's not very cheery, but the autumn colours always make me think of 'Forever Autumn' by the Moody Blues. Take it away, Maestro - cheers to you all!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 8, 6:50pm

Post #6 of 39 (778 views)
Shortcut
Incoming! [In reply to] Can't Post

You're very brave to wade into the fray when most would turn a run! A true professional :D SO MUCH ENERGY with so many youngsters in one place must be making the walls shake! Teachers should give you a heads up when they plan these things so you can, maybe, find education students to volunteer as helpers. Sometimes they can get brownie points from professors when they volunteer.

I hope you have a nice quiet weekend and that progress is massive in your kitchen! *whistles to Denver* What a voice!!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Nov 8, 6:51pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 8, 6:53pm

Post #7 of 39 (779 views)
Shortcut
Toxins [In reply to] Can't Post

Poisons. She's very tough to be battling that. Prayers continue all around!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 8, 6:58pm

Post #8 of 39 (777 views)
Shortcut
We're about 2 weeks apart in weather [In reply to] Can't Post

We just had those wonderful colours finally fall to the ground with 3-5 inches of snow piled on top Weds and yesterday. Cleaned the trees off within 24 hours. *sigh* I love the outline of trees when the leaves are gone, and the snow is so pretty... but Winter is not my favourite season *shiver*

How cool of you to bring the boys onboard so Mom and Dad can have a break. I hope they didn't bring any of the candy with them!!! HYPER-ACTIVITY!

Have a wonderful weekend, m'dear!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 8, 7:43pm

Post #9 of 39 (778 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad to hear your sister is making progress. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

We finally have some proper rain forecast for tomorrow. I hope it delivers as the ground is dry, which is early considering the start of summer is still nearly a month away. A decent downpour to recharge the rivers and streams would be useful (and a great excuse to not to any gardening - not that I was planning to anyway, but an excuse is always useful. Wink )

Our street-trees are fully in blossom now:
https://i.imgur.com/IVwYQpE.jpg

This is my favourite time of year, with bright-green new leaves poking through and blossoms hither and yon. Smile

*helps self to mimosa* Happy weekend, everyone!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

cats16
Valinor

Nov 8, 9:21pm

Post #10 of 39 (764 views)
Shortcut
*quickly pops in* [In reply to] Can't Post

Happy Friday, Altaira! Keeping you and your sister in my thoughts. Those long roads to recovery are not fun at all.

Strange to say we're less than 3 weeks from Thanksgiving. It's a good goalpost for me though--a couple of days off at last. It's been a busy week...I did get to sneak off to a pub trivia night last night, which was super fun. We got 2nd out of 25 teams--the place was packed!

My girlfriend and roommates are all coincidentally out of town this weekend, so I will likely have a quiet, relaxing weekend of movies and sleep. I should find some time to get some sun though. This getting dark at 5pm business is already getting old!

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 8, 9:32pm

Post #11 of 39 (758 views)
Shortcut
As long as she can keep improving [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like a slow road ahead of her, sending prayers & well-wishes that everything keeps going in a positive direction!

You two have a great weekend, too! Heart

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 8, 9:54pm

Post #12 of 39 (757 views)
Shortcut
You too, cats! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Have a great weekend, everyone!

How was the week at work? Was it an improvement on last week?

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 8, 10:00pm

Post #13 of 39 (757 views)
Shortcut
Energy is right! [In reply to] Can't Post

Working with all these young'uns does keep one feeling young! Laugh

Unfortunately the only heads-up we got today was right before school began. But I'd just finished cutting new Library "cards" for grades 5-8 (the CD with their latest school photos arrived yesterday, so I'd gotten right to work uploading the photos and printing sheets of cards for this year), so things went smoothly.

We only go to grade 8, then the kids go out-of-town to high school. But there are always teacher's assistants with the younger classes.

Oh, this kitchen! Appliances are here, and plumbed, but there still some electrical work to be done. At least we have a 'fridge and sink! Laugh

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 8, 10:03pm

Post #14 of 39 (754 views)
Shortcut
That's great that [In reply to] Can't Post

Dex and daughter are getting along better! But sad to learn about her mom-in-law. It's a tough time, will keep her family in prayers!

Did you say you had a sitter for Pickle? Dear Hobbity is getting a workout! Safe travels when you have to head off, gramma!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 8, 10:47pm

Post #15 of 39 (753 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, gramma [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, that *is* good news about DEX, if mixed. Poor Balti must feel pulled in several directions. She's lucky to have you as her backup.

Enjoy the TORn Tuesday video and enjoy the weekend! Smile

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 8, 10:49pm

Post #16 of 39 (755 views)
Shortcut
Another good song! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like perfect autumn weather in your parts. It's nice when winter backs off a little to let us enjoy just a bit more warm sunshine. Have fun with the sleepover boys!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 8, 10:52pm

Post #17 of 39 (754 views)
Shortcut
Wow! Those blossoms are beautiful [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't recognize them in bunches like that. What are they?

I like excuses too! I hope the rain cooperates, and thanks for the good wishes! Smile

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 8, 10:54pm

Post #18 of 39 (752 views)
Shortcut
Trivia champs! [In reply to] Can't Post

That sounds like so much fun. I love those. Was it just general trivia?
Enjoy your solitary weekend!

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 8, 11:04pm

Post #19 of 39 (753 views)
Shortcut
Cherry blossoms. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's one tree that's bloomed roughly in a sphere of blossoms - it caught my eye as I drove into my driveway. Smile The rest of the trees on the street are also blossoming but not quite as picture-perfect as this one.

Ataahua's stories

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 8, 11:51pm

Post #20 of 39 (747 views)
Shortcut
Aw, a sleepover! [In reply to] Can't Post

What fun, for you and the grandkids! That's the nice thing about living nearby. What activities are planned?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 8, 11:53pm

Post #21 of 39 (748 views)
Shortcut
Gorgeous! [In reply to] Can't Post

What an eyeful of deliciousness those blossoms are! Thank you!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 8, 11:56pm

Post #22 of 39 (746 views)
Shortcut
That's the problem with returning to standard time. [In reply to] Can't Post

It gets dark too early in the afternoons. Although I do appreciate being able to drive to work as the sun is coming up. Cool

So...what's on the movie list for this weekend? Oldies but goodies?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 9, 1:03am

Post #23 of 39 (744 views)
Shortcut
You mean... :o [In reply to] Can't Post

You can just walk over and get into the fridge then walk over to get water! *first in the air* YES! That's plumb wonderful!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 9, 1:09am

Post #24 of 39 (743 views)
Shortcut
Got a doggie-nanny. [In reply to] Can't Post

Younger daughter, Loco (local) is getting Pickled, fersher. I don't even have to drop him off at their apartment (w/2 sons). They come out and pick him up later in the day or whenever it's good for them. That's so really great since they are 20 minutes north of me when I drive south to Indy. Saves me nearly an hour since you really can't just dump the dog and take off ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

cats16
Valinor

Nov 9, 5:09am

Post #25 of 39 (727 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

It was better stress-wise, I'd say. I had even more work this week, but a job is always more tolerable when it's *just* the work that's annoying. I did receive a sassy lecture from my boss about how I let us run out of milk (due to a different exec apparently drinking an enormous glass of milk yesterday--the carton was full before that!). But I digress. CrazyAngelic

And that photo you posted is beautiful! I'm determined to go see the poppy fields just outside of LA when they bloom next spring. I always say I'll go but never make it...

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.