Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*Props open doors* Come join us for Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

cats16
Valinor

Nov 9 2019, 5:24am

Post #26 of 39 (1049 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, general trivia [In reply to] Can't Post

It took about 2 hours due to how many teams there were. Some pretty good questions though: my favorite was something like "name 2 countries whose names rhyme, are both 6 letters, are rooted in rivers that run through them, and were both part of the British empire."

Putting our answers in white font in case someone wants to take a guess, but we initially thought it was Uganda and Rwanda . It seemed like a no-brainer! But we took another second to think it over, the group realized the actual answer is Zambia and Gambia . A good question!

And thanks! Hope you get a chance for some R&R too.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

cats16
Valinor

Nov 9 2019, 5:30am

Post #27 of 39 (1049 views)
Shortcut
True! [In reply to] Can't Post

The early risers are the real winners at this time of year.

Hmm, good question! I'm going to see The Irishman this weekend. Do you have any theaters near you playing it? I know it's getting a bare bones release by Netflix...

Otherwise, yeah, probably some oldies I've never seen before. Have you seen Parasite yet? I realize I never posted my review in the Watching thread--but it's not scary! There's one spooky shot in it that lasts 3 seconds, but otherwise imagine it like a Hitchcock movie (that isn't Psycho hehe).

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 9 2019, 12:16pm

Post #28 of 39 (1023 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

It certainly is! But you know, we never appreciate the convenience of a big sink with running water until we have to make do without it. Unimpressed

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 9 2019, 1:57pm

Post #29 of 39 (967 views)
Shortcut
Bang! Blossom Wow! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

How Beautiful! I'm with you on having the green waking up after a long winter. Like sunshine, the green is so soothing and lovely :) I hope your rain came and that you're having a great weekend and that your hip is behaving during its rest from gardening.

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 9 2019, 2:27pm

Post #30 of 39 (956 views)
Shortcut
Congrats on the great compete! [In reply to] Can't Post

How much fun was that!?! :D Twenty-five teams! I love it that there's that kind of social gathering without being attached to a computer... except maybe for the questions. ;)

A quiet few days is always a good thing. If you WANT to do something, you just do it... but not because you have to.

I'm with you on the time change. We need to stop messing with it and just pick one! I prefer having more light at the end of the day. Have a great weekend!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 9 2019, 9:00pm

Post #31 of 39 (504 views)
Shortcut
Had a lovely wee break this week. [In reply to] Can't Post

We headed a few hours south, mostly to take in a garden festival. A very big bonus was that it meant we could meet up with Ataahua! It was so great to catch up in person after a very long time.

We spent the first few days in New Plymouth, which is a great, compact little city with some amazing assets, especially its parks and gardens. There's an excellent coastal walkway, where we went running every morning while we were there. Rather better as a running track than our hilly gravel road at home! We went to the large public gardens in the wider area; took in an impressive museum; and ate very well :). On our way back north we spent a night at Waitomo, and next morning visited two of the caves - one we hadn't been to for 30 years, the other one for the first time (it wasn't actually open to the public on our previous visits).

Photos here.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Nov 10 2019, 1:53am

Post #32 of 39 (463 views)
Shortcut
You took much better photos than I did at Waitomo Caves. [In reply to] Can't Post

All my pics came out orange. Unsure But I remember that limestone curtain - such a beautiful piece of natural art.

I'm so glad you had good weather while you and Mr Kimi were down here. I must pop up to Pukeiti; I don't think I've ever been there during rhodo season. (Criminal, I know.)

BTW I love what the knitters did to Peter Snell's statue! Laugh

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 10 2019, 2:26am

Post #33 of 39 (450 views)
Shortcut
Now That's an Adventure! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so happy you two got to experience this. Incredible pictures!!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

sparrowruth
Rivendell

Nov 10 2019, 3:11am

Post #34 of 39 (430 views)
Shortcut
unless you're too early [In reply to] Can't Post

The early risers are the real winners at this time of year.

I drove to work in pitch black today, and it didn't really get light til i had been there for a good hour and a half......though that probably has a fair bit to do with starting at 6:30 and being a good five hours north of the border Laugh

Have you seen Parasite yet? I realize I never posted my review in the Watching thread--but it's not scary! There's one spooky shot in it that lasts 3 seconds, but otherwise imagine it like a Hitchcock movie (that isn't Psycho hehe).

Hurrah! it shall be duly added to my "hope to watch eventually as i find a way to stream" list Tongue

sparrowruth
Rivendell

Nov 10 2019, 3:32am

Post #35 of 39 (397 views)
Shortcut
the idea of fall extending into november rather baffles me [In reply to] Can't Post

i've lived in central alberta all my life, so seeing snow in october is not at all unusual, and by early november it is pretty much guaranteed. so your "glorious fall day" sounds lovely but very foreign. it's shaping up to be a very blustery weekend here - it started snowing sometime last night, and continued with varying intensity more or less all day. i wouldn't be surprised if we had almost 6 inches by now

my big plan for this weekend is to attend the Remembrance Day service in town. my grandfather was a vet, so i take the occasion pretty seriously. my parents will be at a funeral though - i'm not entirely sure why they're going since it's my mom's sister's husband's mother that died, but apparently it's expected that they be there so. my dad in particular is a bit miffed to miss the remembrance service, as it was his dad that served.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 10 2019, 4:52am

Post #36 of 39 (380 views)
Shortcut
My old phone [In reply to] Can't Post

was in the process of giving up the ghost, so I got a new one just before we came away. It has a much better camera! I was really pleased with how the cave photos came out (no flash, either, as that's not allowed).

We drove right around the mountain, and it was beautifully clear all the way. With the snow as well, it looked gorgeous.

Oakune was full of the most amazing knitting! My favourite was a near-life sized cow, set by a stream with plants on the bank and eels in the water, all done in wool. Too hard to photograph, unfortunately, as the glass around it reflected too well, but brilliantly done.

And yes, Pukeiti in rhodo season is quite something :).

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2019, 7:20pm

Post #37 of 39 (145 views)
Shortcut
Round here we're lucky to see any snow! [In reply to] Can't Post

This area is sheltered from all but the harshest weather; snow is a huge novelty for the children if it arrives, and a bane to motorists who are not used to driving in those conditions! The boys were fine, apart from waking me at 6.20am (urgh).

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2019, 7:23pm

Post #38 of 39 (146 views)
Shortcut
I let them empty my doll's house [In reply to] Can't Post

in preparation for cleaning and tidying, which they're not normally allowed to mess around with, so they enjoyed tinkering with all the bits and pieces!

Greenwood Hobbit
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2019, 7:28pm

Post #39 of 39 (145 views)
Shortcut
It wasn't a long sleepover - [In reply to] Can't Post

they were back home by 11am next morning, as I had to go out. This one was to give Mummy and Daddy a little time to buy wood and build a raised bed in what will be the older (9) boy's bedroom. It's been tested and pronounced a success - now the rest of the room needs decorating before he moves in. Then Mummy and Daddy will have to get started on the fourth bedroom, which will be the younger grandson's (7 very soon)! They've enjoyed sharing, but it's time they had their own space.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.