Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Peter Jackson vs Tolkien: Five Things the Films Did Better Than the Books
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

CuriousG
Half-elven

Jul 16, 2:46pm

Post #51 of 56 (1919 views)
Shortcut
And going farther back in history [In reply to] Can't Post

Ancient Egyptians thought of themselves as a nation-state and believed they should be united under their native ruler, not some foreigner. The ancient Greeks had a sense of being a nation ("we are Greeks; everyone else is a barbarian") even though they were in autonomous city-states. I don't know Chinese history well, but they seemed to have the nation-state idea down early too.

And I remember sitting in a university class in the 1980s when a poli sci professor (that's my major) told us modern nationalism all started with the Treaty of Westphalia, and I thought, so what about the preceding 4000 years of history?" It does come down to splitting hairs about definitions which are purely academic.

CMackintosh
The Shire

Oct 19, 8:08am

Post #52 of 56 (502 views)
Shortcut
Thoughts reworked as dialogs [In reply to] Can't Post

and given to other characters - the best example was during the siege of Gondor when Pippin asks Gandalf about dying and gets Frodo's vision of the Blessed Realm given to him as Gandalf's experience dying after fighting the Balrog.

Saruman
Bree

Oct 29, 8:56pm

Post #53 of 56 (387 views)
Shortcut
Disagree on Boromir [In reply to] Can't Post

Good article, and I agree with most of it (and my list of what PJ did better would be much longer, actually), but am I the only one who likes book Boromir better than film Boromir? Maybe it's because I'm not high on Sean Bean like the rest of the world. He's alright, but he didn't bring Boromir to life for me. I saw the films before I read the books, but I found my love for Boromir when I read the books.

Movie Boromir is, by far, more disrespectful than book Boromir. Take the scene when Boromir sees Aragorn in Rivendell, picks up the shards of Narsil (A FAMILY HEIRLOOM), drops the blade, and doesn't even care enough to pick it up. Completely disrespectful and immediately paints Boromir in a bad light. Book Boromir is certainly full of pride, probably more than movie Boromir, but book Boromir would have picked up the hilt, instead of muttering "no more than a broken heirloom." I think many of you completely forget a lot of moments that book Boromir had that showed his morality. I don't remember the exact quote, so I may be paraphrasing, but before the Fellowship sets out of Rivendell Boromir blows his horn, much to Elrond's dismay. He replies that "though thereafter we will walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night." People will take that action as they will -- overly pompous, or what not -- but I see it as a reflection of Boromir's conviction and moral high ground.

There are more reasons, that perhaps I'll get into later. But for me, Book Boromir is way better than movie Boromir.

"I have seen it..."

Paulo Gabriel
Rivendell

Oct 30, 2:17pm

Post #54 of 56 (333 views)
Shortcut
Which chapter of the book is this in? [In reply to] Can't Post

Saruman
Bree

Oct 30, 6:38pm

Post #55 of 56 (313 views)
Shortcut
The Ring Goes South [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sure if you're asking me what chapter that scene is in, but I'm almost positive it's in "The Ring Goes South," right before the Fellowship set out from Rivendell.

"I have seen it..."

Paulo Gabriel
Rivendell

Oct 31, 12:36am

Post #56 of 56 (302 views)
Shortcut
Thanks. [In reply to] Can't Post

I found it.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.