Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
TIME - October 21
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 4, 11:19am

Post #51 of 59 (972 views)
Shortcut
TIME - November 4 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

November 4, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Elves and Lake-men depart Lake-town.
(determined from text)

..."But all the men of arms who were still able, and the most of the Elvenking's array, got ready to march north to the Mountain. It was thus that in eleven days from the ruin of the town the head of their host passed the rock-gates at the end of the lake and came into the desolate lands."

2. Thorin and Company were busy preparing.
(determined from text)

..."...the dwarves still had some days before them. They explored the caverns once more, and found, as they expected, that only the Front Gate remained open; all the other gates (except, of course, the small secret door) had long ago been broken and blocked by Smaug, and no sign of them remained."

November 4, 3018 (S.R. 1418)
1. The Hobbits enjoy Rivendell.
(not from the appendices-no text)

...The partially formed Fellowship rests in Rivendell and prepares for their journey while waiting for scouts to return from searching the lands for enemy movement. Frodo grows stronger in both heart and body through the grace of Rivendell. He would walk with his friends and explore the rich culture and craft of their refuge and spend time visiting and speaking with the Elves to Sam's sheer awe and delight; but much of his time he spends with Bilbo in his room. They speak of many things from years gone by and their adventure on the road, yet they are always careful to avoid mention of the Black Riders, the Ring, and the darkness that followed after Weathertop.

November 4, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The healing of the Shire begins.
(not from the appendices)

..."The clearing up certainly needed a lot of work, but it took less time than Sam had feared. The day after the battle Frodo rode to Michel Delving and released the prisoners from the Lockholes. One of the first that they found was poor Fredegar Bolger, Fatty no longer. He had been taken when the ruffians smoked out a band of rebels that he led from their hidings up in the Brockenbores....
...'...You would have done better to come with us after all, poor old Fredegar!' said Pippin, as they carried him out too weak to walk.
...He opened an eye and tried gallantly to smile. 'Who's this young giant with the loud voice?' he whispered. 'Not little Pippin! What's your size in hats now?'
...Then there was Lobelia. Poor thing, she looked very old and thin when they rescued her from a dark and narrow cell. She insisted on hobbling out on her own feet; and she had such a welcome, and there was such clapping and cheering when she appeared, leaning on Frodo's arm but still clutching her umbrella, that she was quite touched and drove away in tears. She had never in her life been popular... ...But she was crushed by the news of Lotho's murder, and she would not return to Bag End. She gave it back to Frodo, and went to her own people, the Bracegirdles of Hardbottle.
...When the poor creature died next Spring... ...Frodo was surprised and much moved: she had left all that remained of her money and of Lotho's for him to use in helping hobbits made homeless by the troubles. So that feud was ended.
...Old Will Whitfoot had been in the Lockholes longer than any, and... ...he needed a lot of feeding up before he could look the part of Mayor; so Frodo agreed to act as his Deputy, until Mr. Whitfoot was in shape again. The only thing that he did as Deputy Mayor was to reduce the Shirriffs to their proper functions and numbers."

[dernwyn drabble 2008]
Unlocked

She shivered beneath her ragged shawl. It was so dark here, and she was always hungry. Now it was noisy! Were they bringing more prisoners? But - this sounded different. Why, these were voices of her own people, shouting, cheering, even singing! Doors were clanking open and -
Her door opened. As a shaft of light pierced the small narrow room, a voice she had not heard in over a year spoke softly. "Lobelia?"
Her stubborn heart softened with sudden joy as one whom she once despised came in and clasped her hands in his. "Come, dear," said Frodo, gently.

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

CuriousG
Half-elven

Nov 4, 1:04pm

Post #52 of 59 (963 views)
Shortcut
Good point, and [In reply to] Can't Post

I think there is more than one circle being closed at Bag End. Bilbo > Frodo's mercy along with the where the War of the Ring began and ended (since one could argue that it began with "The Shadow of the Past").

...'I hope so,' said Frodo and sighed. 'The very last stroke. But to think that is should fall here, at the very door of Bag End! Among all my hopes and fears at least I never expected that....'"

Now I'm going to spend the rest of the day trying to think if any other big theme began and ended there.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Nov 4, 1:27pm

Post #53 of 59 (963 views)
Shortcut
Lobelia's redemption [In reply to] Can't Post

So, how many "that is my absolute favorite" am I allowed before I dilute the "absolute" part? Smile

Lobelia's redemption hit me totally by surprise on first read, yet it's plausible, and I find it heart-warming. It makes a stark contrast to Saruman, who was offered redemption and turned it down.

...Then there was Lobelia. Poor thing, she looked very old and thin when they rescued her from a dark and narrow cell. She insisted on hobbling out on her own feet; and she had such a welcome, and there was such clapping and cheering when she appeared, leaning on Frodo's arm but still clutching her umbrella, that she was quite touched and drove away in tears. She had never in her life been popular... ...But she was crushed by the news of Lotho's murder, and she would not return to Bag End. She gave it back to Frodo, and went to her own people, the Bracegirdles of Hardbottle.
...When the poor creature died next Spring... ...Frodo was surprised and much moved: she had left all that remained of her money and of Lotho's for him to use in helping hobbits made homeless by the troubles. So that feud was ended.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Nov 4, 1:31pm

Post #54 of 59 (961 views)
Shortcut
And kudos to Dernwyn for a magnficent drabble [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, that's kudos, not cash. But really, lots and lots of kudos, if you can pay your rent with them. Smile What an insightful and sympathetic look inside Lobelia's mind, and normally, her mind isn't something I'd want to peer into. (Did you find the part of her mind where she confesses to stealing the spoons?)

In Reply To
[dernwyn drabble 2008]
Unlocked

She shivered beneath her ragged shawl. It was so dark here, and she was always hungry. Now it was noisy! Were they bringing more prisoners? But - this sounded different. Why, these were voices of her own people, shouting, cheering, even singing! Doors were clanking open and -
Her door opened. As a shaft of light pierced the small narrow room, a voice she had not heard in over a year spoke softly. "Lobelia?"
Her stubborn heart softened with sudden joy as one whom she once despised came in and clasped her hands in his. "Come, dear," said Frodo, gently.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 5, 2:32am

Post #55 of 59 (918 views)
Shortcut
Spoon-confessing! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the kudos, think I can trade them in for Tolkien memorabilia? Wink

But seriously, just the word "lock-holes" conjures images of tiny windowless tunnels where you're thrown in and hardly paid any attention. What a jolt after living in luxury at Bag End!

Spoons? Heh, for dear Lobelia all I can imagine is her earlier years, each time seeing one of Bilbo's, hissing "my own, my preciousss ssspoonsss..." Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 5, 11:03am

Post #56 of 59 (880 views)
Shortcut
TIME - November 5 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

November 5, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Fili and Kili return with the ponies and supplies
(determined from text)

..."They were four days gone, and by that time they knew that the joined armies of the Lake-men and the Elves were hurrying towards the Mountain. But now their hopes were higher; for they had food for some weeks... ...chiefly cram... ...and they were very tired of it... ...already the gate was blocked with a wall of squared stones laid dry, but very thick and high across the opening. There were holes in the wall through which they could see (or shoot) but no entrance. They climbed in or out with ladders, and hauled stuff up with ropes. For... ...the stream they had contrived a small low arch under the new wall... ...Approach to the Gate was now only possible, without swimming, along a narrow ledge of the cliff... ...The ponies they had brought only to the head of the steps above the old bridge, and unloading them there had bidden them return to the masters and sent them back riderless to the South."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 5, 11:21am

Post #57 of 59 (881 views)
Shortcut
It still bring tears to my eyes [In reply to] Can't Post

Making this lovely moment in the story all the more moving. *literally sighs*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Nov 5, 11:22am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 5, 11:24am

Post #58 of 59 (877 views)
Shortcut
Oh! Good hissing call! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 5, 11:25am

Post #59 of 59 (878 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely no limit!! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.