Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Middle-earth TV Series Discussion:
Tomorrow: 64th anniversary of publication of The Return of the King

Althoun
Lorien

Oct 19 2019, 4:00pm

Post #1 of 9 (720 views)
Shortcut
Tomorrow: 64th anniversary of publication of The Return of the King Can't Post

The Return of the King, third volume of LotR, was published on the 20th October 1955 and so tomorrow, I expect @LOTRonPrime will tweet something to mark the anniversary.

Hopefully this involves news as opposed to just a read-through (as on the last book anniversary for Fellowship of the Ring on 29th July, even though that was a lovely gesture and would be appreciated again obviously - just give us some update with it as well!).

Let's not forget, the Appendices (upon which the show will be at least partly based) were first published on this date as well given that they bookend RotK - including the brief overview of N˙menˇrean history in Appendix A and the Second Age timeline in Appendix B. RotK's publication was actually delayed by six months due to the difficulties Tolkien experienced trying to bring the voluminous material in the Appendices into publishable form.

@LOTRonPrime ain't gonna miss that date, in my humble opinon.

So there will be a tweet of some kind. After that, the next big 'book' anniversary is The Two Towers on 11th November (published 1954) and you can bet @LOTRonPrime will mark that date as well.

VoronwŰ_the_Faithful
Valinor

Oct 19 2019, 4:47pm

Post #2 of 9 (697 views)
Shortcut
Wishful thinking! [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course, that doesn't not mean that it won't turn out to be true.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Althoun
Lorien

Oct 19 2019, 4:54pm

Post #3 of 9 (694 views)
Shortcut
We shall see if I have egg on my face and have to eat humble pie! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Of course, that doesn't not mean that it won't turn out to be true.

VoronwŰ_the_Faithful
Valinor

Oct 19 2019, 5:46pm

Post #4 of 9 (685 views)
Shortcut
It certainly is time for a substantive update! // [In reply to] Can't Post

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 19 2019, 6:40pm

Post #5 of 9 (679 views)
Shortcut
Casting Announcements? [In reply to] Can't Post

So far, I think only one of the casting announcements that we've seen has actually been made official. The others have both been second hand.

"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." - DRWolf (after John C. Maxwell)

Althoun
Lorien

Oct 19 2019, 7:42pm

Post #6 of 9 (668 views)
Shortcut
None have really been 'official' to be honest...... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
So far, I think only one of the casting announcements that we've seen has actually been made official. The others have both been second hand.

The Will Poulter announcement was from a respectable source (Deadline? Variety? I can't quite recall) but it was not actually from Amazon itself, although it must have been based upon some kind of press release.

Markella Kavenagh's casting was simply a leak from her agent that she had been "in talks" for a role (so she might not even have been chosen).

Likewise, the Maxim Baldry announcement was much the same - presumably a leak from his agent but that he'd actually been cast.

With pre-production already ongoing and the show to begin shooting in early 2020 (with some principal photography maybe already being conducted as we speak), one would expect official announcements to be out asap.

But they're still keeping up the ultra-secretiveness. We have about three months to go (maybe four max) before all the major shooting/filming starts and we still know nothing about the cast, main characters, plot or anything else except the identities of the creative team behind it.

(This post was edited by Althoun on Oct 19 2019, 7:55pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 20 2019, 12:56am

Post #7 of 9 (618 views)
Shortcut
Amazon should "make it so". [In reply to] Can't Post

Even without an official press release, the casting of Will Poulter seems to be pretty solid. However, Amazon can take this opportunity to post these confirmations on the show's official Twitter and Facebook accounts, and maybe say something about the roles for which they've been cast*.

* Note to others: 'casted' is not a word.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Oct 20 2019, 12:58am)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 22 2019, 2:54pm

Post #8 of 9 (525 views)
Shortcut
Durin's Day announcement? [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe @LOTRonPRime will post something for Durin's Day (though I believe Tolkien's estimate for Durin's Day of T.A. 2941 has already passed). The date, this year, for the Dwarven New Year would seem to be October 27 or 28, though i'm not sure it would be counted as a Durin's Day.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 22 2019, 3:40pm

Post #9 of 9 (520 views)
Shortcut
Durin's Day, 2019? [In reply to] Can't Post

October 28, 2019 (in Buffalo, NY):
- Sunrise: 7:45 a.m.
- Sunset: 6:12 p.m.
- Moon rises: 8:03 a.m.
- Moon sets: 6:58 p.m.

Does this count as a Durin's Day?

October 27 is the New Moon. Sunset is at 6:14 p.m.; the Moon sets at 6:26 p.m.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.