Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Tolkien house for sale: £4.5 million

Hasuwandil
Rivendell

Oct 18, 2:35pm

Post #1 of 22 (1819 views)
Shortcut
Tolkien house for sale: £4.5 million Can't Post

If anyone's in the market for a house in Oxford, the house where J.R.R. Tolkien live when he wrote The Hobbit is up for sale:

The author lived at the six-bedroom home with his family from 1930 until 1947.

Tolkein is believed to have written his 1937 breakthrough novel, The Hobbit, in the drawing room of the large, detached house, and also began working on Lord Of The Rings there.

The house, in Northmoor Road in Oxford, Oxon., is adorned with a blue plaque which states "J.R.R. Tolkein, Author of Lord Of The Rings, Lived here 1930-1947."

HÍl‚ Auriwandil, angilŰ berhtost,
oƀar Middangard mannum gisandid!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 18, 4:40pm

Post #2 of 22 (1775 views)
Shortcut
*counts spare change* [In reply to] Can't Post

Do you think if we all pooled our resources, we could purchase it?

I'm a bit bothered by the article's inconsistent spelling of "Tolkien". "Tolkein"? Ack!

But I love the pictures of the interior - can you just imagine the family living there!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

squire
Half-elven

Oct 18, 7:05pm

Post #3 of 22 (1759 views)
Shortcut
Yes, indede [In reply to] Can't Post

And let's hope it's just in the listing's description and not on the blue plaque itself.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Solicitr
Rohan

Oct 18, 8:04pm

Post #4 of 22 (1749 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

and also began working on Lord Of The Rings there.

"Wrote almost all of" would be closer.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Oct 19, 1:26pm

Post #5 of 22 (1690 views)
Shortcut
Agreed--those interior shots are amazing. // [In reply to] Can't Post

VoronwŽ_the_Faithful
Valinor

Oct 19, 2:10pm

Post #6 of 22 (1688 views)
Shortcut
Who is this Tolkein fellow? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, couldn't resist.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 19, 2:12pm

Post #7 of 22 (1687 views)
Shortcut
*smashes piggy bank* I'm In! *twitch* [In reply to] Can't Post

OMG.... my brain is bouncing all over the place... keeping in time with my heart pitter-pat!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 19, 2:47pm

Post #8 of 22 (1683 views)
Shortcut
Oh geez... lovely! [In reply to] Can't Post

*spasm* If Only!!!!

I'm in love with the wide-board wooden floors and the teaser of that door! Incredible. Marvelous. I wish... And it looks like there are at least 4 fireplaces by the count of chimneys.

I hope whomever buys it appreciates the history and keeps the classic look that is still there. Wow...

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Oct 19, 2:53pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 19, 3:15pm

Post #9 of 22 (1666 views)
Shortcut
Some links [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien's home on Northmoor Road (Wikipedia)

Tolkien home near University of Oxford (Google Maps) [scroll down to see 38 more pics of the home]

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Oct 19, 3:20pm)

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Oct 19, 10:29pm

Post #10 of 22 (1628 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps "Tolkein's" example will inspire them to sell for cash or kudos./ [In reply to] Can't Post

Boom-doom, shacka-lacka-boom-doom, went the drum machine in the deep.

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Oct 20, 7:46am

Post #11 of 22 (1587 views)
Shortcut
the Google photos reveal [In reply to] Can't Post

that it's spelled correctly on the plaque itself.

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

squire
Half-elven

Oct 20, 1:57pm

Post #12 of 22 (1561 views)
Shortcut
Thank you. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was pretty much joking that the plaque might be misspelled - had that ever happened I know thousands of British Tolkien fans would have descended on whichever office was responsible and demanded the correction at the points of pitchforks and scythes.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 20, 2:07pm

Post #13 of 22 (1556 views)
Shortcut
It warms my heart [In reply to] Can't Post

to see that they have a RL kitchen and countertops lined with gadgets and stuff :D Very homey!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Solicitr
Rohan

Oct 20, 2:10pm

Post #14 of 22 (1557 views)
Shortcut
I [In reply to] Can't Post

am pretty sure the kitchen has been remodeled at least once since 1947!

CuriousG
Half-elven

Oct 20, 2:20pm

Post #15 of 22 (1555 views)
Shortcut
True, but [In reply to] Can't Post

my first reaction to the kitchen was "Where's the island? I thought all modern kitchens had an island in them or the house won't sell." Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 20, 2:32pm

Post #16 of 22 (1552 views)
Shortcut
Fersher :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure more than a few times! I just like it that they didn't clear the counters for the pics. There's nothing more homey (imho) than a busy kitchen set up for RL action. Then again... anything having to do with food and a good meal will get me there ASAP!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 20, 2:34pm

Post #17 of 22 (1553 views)
Shortcut
*giggle* [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe they don't watch HGTV ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Glaurung63
Lorien

Nov 2, 7:55pm

Post #18 of 22 (1244 views)
Shortcut
I was there in August! [In reply to] Can't Post

Can you imagine living there?? I was in Oxford for a graduation and stayed at the Cotswold Lodge Hotel just blocks away so of course after checking in I went straight to his house! Iím not shocked by the price as that area has many fantastic old homes and a lot are being worked on. I also of course went to his and Edithís grave and one afternoon had the Rabbit Room at the Bird and Baby all to myself!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 3, 12:06am

Post #19 of 22 (1207 views)
Shortcut
Does it look as nice "in person" [In reply to] Can't Post

as it does in the photos? And the B&B? Having that room to yourself is just not right - there needs to be rowdy discussion in there! Laugh

Did you leave any mementoes at the gravesite? How was the little garden looking?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 3, 1:27pm

Post #20 of 22 (1150 views)
Shortcut
*envious eyes glow green* Oh geez... Wonderful :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Glaurung63
Lorien

Nov 3, 3:46pm

Post #21 of 22 (1141 views)
Shortcut
House and gravesite look nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

I tried to attach a pic of the front of the house but itís not showing up. It looks in great shape. Lots of work being done to other houses on the block. The gravesite had lots of flowers and that branchy shrub that blooms. Not too many offerings but there were letters stacked under rocks. I didnít have anything this time, two years ago I visited and left a bird feather.

Funny story at the Bird and Baby, itís usually full and I was shocked to find it empty. I asked the lady bartending where are all the fans? She kind of huffed and said thatís all anyone ever wants to talk about! I just laughed. I refrained from saying, you do know where you work, right?

Then the barback came out, a young girl with short black hair streaked with purple. She said she liked the fans and offered to take my picture. I asked her if she was a fan and of which Inkling. She said Tolkien and her favorite story was Beren and Luthien but the version in the Silmarillion! Awesome!!

Oh I also did Addisonís Walk again but was running late for dinner so I power walked the Walk!

Glaurung63
Lorien

Nov 3, 4:07pm

Post #22 of 22 (1140 views)
Shortcut
Bucket list trip! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oxford should be on everyoneís bucket list! If you fly into Heathrow there is an Oxford Express bus called the Airline that leaves from various points in the airport. Gets you into the heart of town in 90 minutes or less. You can download their app and buy a round trip ticket in advance for 25 pounds. Great service!

There are plenty of places to stay, depending on your budget, and if you like to walk you can go anywhere except perhaps the gravesite. I took a cab and then a bus back, the bus stop is across the street from Wolvercote cemetery.

Thereís also Harry Potter and Lewis Carroll sites to see and a fun ghost tour! Oh and in University Parks there is a bench dedicated to Tolkien and itís marked on the park map. I had no idea and was pleasantly surprised!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.