Maxim Baldry cast in LotR series

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 16 2019, 1:25am

Post #1 of 17 (2022 views)
Shortcut
Maxim Baldry cast in LotR series Can't Post

Collider reports:

Up-and-coming English actor Maxim Baldry, who recently played Viktor Goraya in HBO’s Years and Years, has landed a significant role in Amazon’s upcoming Lord of the Rings series, Collider has exclusively learned.

Australian actress Markella Kavenagh is set to star alongside Midsommar star Will Poulter. Character details are being kept under wraps along with plot details. All we know at this point is that the LOTR series will explore new storylines preceding J.R.R. Tolkien’s book The Fellowship of the Ring.

From Baldry's appearance, I'm guessing he might be a Númenórean king. He's twenty-three years old (born: January 6, 1996) but to me he looks older in the photo.

"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." - DRWolf (after John C. Maxwell)

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Oct 16 2019, 1:28am)

Hasuwandil
Lorien

Oct 16 2019, 4:17am

Post #2 of 17 (1960 views)
Shortcut
Three out of four [In reply to] Can't Post

Definitely Aric. Possibly Beldor, but I think that's much less likely.

Hêlâ Auriwandil, angilô berhtost,
oƀar Middangard mannum gisandid!

Hasuwandil
Lorien

Oct 16 2019, 4:33am

Post #3 of 17 (1958 views)
Shortcut
Númenórean possibilities [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
From Baldry's appearance, I'm guessing he might be a Númenórean king.

Aldarion had golden hair and blue eyes, so Baldry would not be an obvious choice to play the role, although he could wear a wig and contacts. However, there are numerous other Númenórean kings and lords who were not said to be blond. One possibility from Aldarion's generation is his cousin Valandil, Lord of Andúnië, who was a direct patrilineal ancestor of Aragorn. As far as I am aware, Tolkien never said anything about his appearance. From the War of the Elves and Sauron, a likely possibility is Ciryatur, who commanded the Númenórean forces.

Chen G.
Gondor

Oct 16 2019, 9:13am

Post #4 of 17 (1909 views)
Shortcut
Besides the casting itself [In reply to] Can't Post

This seems to suggest a pattern - which is consistent with the way the live-action films were cast - whereby the showrunners are looking for primarily British and Commonwealth talent.

The Dude
Rivendell

Oct 16 2019, 12:07pm

Post #5 of 17 (1871 views)
Shortcut
I know him from somewhere... [In reply to] Can't Post

Baldry looks a little bit Russian (according to this interview, his mother is), and lo and behold, he played the Russian kid in the 2007 film Mr. Bean's Holiday. I was surprised to find out that he also played the (minor) role of Caesarion in the HBO series Rome. I cannot really comment on his acting abilities as an adult actor.

A patterns seems to emerge: all three actors that have been cast in prominent roles so far (no official confirmation from Amazon yet), are quite young. Baldry is 23, Poulter is 26, and Kavenagh is even younger.
Of course, there were many young actors in Jackson's films as well: When filming started on The Lord of the Rings, Bloom and Tyler were 22, Wood was 18, and Monaghan was 22. Nearly all human characters, however, were portrayed by actors older than that, mostly in their 30s (Urban was 27 in '99). It is difficult to extract any conclusions from this: potentially the rumored actors have been cast as elves (see Bloom and Tyler), or maybe the showrunners want relatively young actors because of the long production cycle of such a series (5-10 years).

(This post was edited by The Dude on Oct 16 2019, 12:07pm)

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Oct 16 2019, 4:15pm

Post #6 of 17 (1815 views)
Shortcut
I'm kind of thinking Celebrimbor [In reply to] Can't Post

No particular reason, other than that he has very fine features, and rather pointed ears already (at least judging from the photos I can find of him). His look screams Feanorian to me. Again, I don't really know why, he just looks right for that role.

"It is my duty to fight" - Mulan

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 16 2019, 4:19pm

Post #7 of 17 (1810 views)
Shortcut
Many Possibilities [In reply to] Can't Post

My gut feeling was that Baldry might be playing a Númenórean, but he could be cast as an Eldar or even as Sauron/Annatar. He would even have fit right in with the Company of Thorin Oakenshield in Peter Jackson's Hobbit films.

InTheChair
Rohan

Oct 16 2019, 6:40pm

Post #8 of 17 (1778 views)
Shortcut
One would assume anyway that those few who are officailly casted will have prominent roles. From Sauron through Elf-kings to Ar-Pharazon [In reply to] Can't Post

maybe the showrunners want relatively young actors because of the long production cycle of such a series (5-10 years).

Casting younger actors and actresses could make sense from this viewpoint. Though mostly if all supposed 5 seasons are meant to take place within a limited time-scope. Or if they are meant to play ageless characters.

There are on the other hand many other possible reasons for casting young people.

Hasuwandil
Lorien

Oct 16 2019, 7:28pm

Post #9 of 17 (1762 views)
Shortcut
Necessary skills [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure he could play any part he was given, but the big question is: Can he play the accordion?

uncle Iorlas
Rohan

Oct 16 2019, 8:53pm

Post #10 of 17 (1737 views)
Shortcut
agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
His look screams Feanorian to me. Again, I don't really know why, he just looks right for that role.

Knowing only his face, I must agree, he looks a lovely Celebrimbor. Whom I do hope we are slated to meet.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 17 2019, 12:37am

Post #11 of 17 (1692 views)
Shortcut
Skills [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm sure he could play any part he was given, but the big question is: Can he play the accordion?

I'm sure he could fake it. Wink

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 17 2019, 12:40am

Post #12 of 17 (1694 views)
Shortcut
Above Average. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Knowing only his face, I must agree, he looks a lovely Celebrimbor. Whom I do hope we are slated to meet.

Maxim's height is given as 5' 11" (1.80m). He doesn't seem to have a particularly beefy build, but this wouldn't be the first time a relatively skinny actor put on weight and muscle for a role.

2ndBreffest
Lorien

Oct 19 2019, 11:02am

Post #13 of 17 (1390 views)
Shortcut
yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

a good point. If they're looking to do this thing to fit alongside the PJ movies (which seems to be the case), he could very easily be cast as a dwarf...as-is.

fantasywind
Rivendell

Oct 20 2019, 4:25pm

Post #14 of 17 (1332 views)
Shortcut
Suspiciously similar face [In reply to] Can't Post

Maxim Baldry, judging his overall look, the face, bears some resemblance to the actor who played Isildur in the prologue of Fellowship movie, comparing the pictures of the two it looks like Baldry would be a bit younger Isildur :), though that would mean a later time period Downfall of Numenor and War of the Last Alliance should be the 'ending events' (that is if the show will try to portray a larger part of the Second Age down to it's ending), but it's merely a coincidence, just like some people compared Poultry to younger Hugo Weaving :) so it's merely an impression from his appearance. I would hope though that if they will try to portray the Numenoreans they will try to do it as faithfully to source material as possible (so dark hair, grey eyes, I would like to see some of those traits :)).

2ndBreffest
Lorien

Nov 2 2019, 2:59pm

Post #15 of 17 (1173 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

he also looks exactly like the guy who played Kili in PJ's Hobbit...so maybe they're planning on casting him as a dwarf.

Mari D.
Rivendell

Nov 6 2019, 2:02pm

Post #16 of 17 (1120 views)
Shortcut
I could see him in many different human roles [In reply to] Can't Post

He does not look that Elvish or Dwarvish to me, but I could imagine him as many of the human characters Wink Kinda calm and intent look, maybe a Númenorean, maybe someone else ...

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Nov 6 2019, 4:52pm

Post #17 of 17 (1100 views)
Shortcut
Noldo? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
He does not look that Elvish or Dwarvish to me, but I could imagine him as many of the human characters Wink Kinda calm and intent look, maybe a Númenorean, maybe someone else ...

The lighting in that photo is pretty subdued; that might color perceptions a bit. Baldry could perhaps play a Noldo Elf. He doesn't look like a Dwarf to me, either, but he'd fit right in with Fili, Kili and Thorin from PJ's films.

#FidelityToTolkien

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Nov 6 2019, 4:54pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.