Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Middle-earth TV Series Discussion:
Gandalf as a women
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 8, 7:37pm

Post #26 of 35 (705 views)
Shortcut
There's absolutely no excuse for making threats. [In reply to] Can't Post

Good on Ms. Malcolm for reporting the threat.

Gandalf still has no place in a series set in the Second Age of Middle-earth, much less a gender-bent Gandalf. A different female character who fills approximately the same role is a whole new kettle of fish.

"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." - DRWolf (after John C. Maxwell)

squire
Half-elven

Oct 8, 10:00pm

Post #27 of 35 (686 views)
Shortcut
She seems to have her head screwed on straight [In reply to] Can't Post

"Smart discussion guys, passionate response or just have a laugh but not reactive abuse, bigotry, dumb insults and silly death threats. And always take heart that I have nothing to do with the show," Malcolm concluded.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Fereth
Rivendell

Oct 9, 1:48am

Post #28 of 35 (661 views)
Shortcut
Well now we definitely need a lady Gandalf. [In reply to] Can't Post

I nominate Dame Maggie Smith, however.

Paulo Gabriel
Rivendell

Oct 9, 7:25am

Post #29 of 35 (639 views)
Shortcut
It was just a joke on her part. [In reply to] Can't Post

Nowhere in the original article it is claimed that there will be a 'female Gandalf' in the series. Plus, from the interview you can clearly see that Ms. Malcolm is just joking.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 9, 2:29pm

Post #30 of 35 (604 views)
Shortcut
I disagree. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Nowhere in the original article it is claimed that there will be a 'female Gandalf' in the series. Plus, from the interview you can clearly see that Ms. Malcolm is just joking.

Of course there is no intention by the showrunners to introduce a gender-bent Gandalf; that is not and has never been the issue. However, Ms. Malcolm (who, remember, has no connection to the show) reads to me as being completely serious in her desire to see it happen, especially after she doubles down in her follow-up post.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Oct 9, 2:36pm)

Hasuwandil
Rivendell

Oct 9, 2:54pm

Post #31 of 35 (593 views)
Shortcut
Less heat, more light [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't believe Gandalf himself would approve of all this contention. It's not worth getting that het up about, even if you happen to be Ian "What do you mean, another Gandalf?" McKellen, and I would assume he wasn't the troll.

I must say, it seems to be taking a very long time for many in the online press (not to mention various actors) to comprehend the implications of the Second Age setting. I've seen several articles that mention that the series takes place in the Second Age and then go on to say that it is expected to focus on a young Aragorn. Does anyone know of a good one-stop resource for the Amazon Series and/or the Second Age? Something that is reasonably concise, yet answers the major questions one would have about the new series, assuming they are already familiar with the existing New Line films? Perhaps we should have a stickied FAQ in this forum.

Hęlâ Auriwandil, angilô berhtost,
oƀar Middangard mannum gisandid!

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Oct 9, 3:43pm

Post #32 of 35 (591 views)
Shortcut
I agree that that appears to be the case [In reply to] Can't Post

And while the attacks on her are completely over the top and uncalled for, I would prefer that people who make statements about things actually bother to educate themselves about what they are speaking about before speaking. But that is just me.

(That goes even more for the editor of the paper, who included a picture of Viggo as Aragorn with a caption stating that the series was expected to focus on young Aragorn, then it does for Ms. Malcolm herself.)

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

Paulo Gabriel
Rivendell

Oct 9, 5:03pm

Post #33 of 35 (578 views)
Shortcut
She isn't even part of the cast... [In reply to] Can't Post

You guys are deluded.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Oct 9, 5:22pm

Post #34 of 35 (569 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. [In reply to] Can't Post

We know that Ms. Malcolm is not connected to the show, and that her comments carry zero authority. No one is arguing differently. That has nothing to do with whether she is being sincere. In fact, I think we will see more meaningful female representation in the show and that this should be a good thing as long as it makes sense in the context of the story being told.

(This post was edited by Otaku-sempai on Oct 9, 5:25pm)

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Oct 9, 5:50pm

Post #35 of 35 (563 views)
Shortcut
Who are "you guys"? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't speak for anyone but myself.

And if by "you guys" you mean purist critics of Jackson's Middle-earth films, you should know that I am one of a minority of published Tolkien scholars who have been strongly complementary of both film trilogies.

If you mean by "you guys" people who somehow believe that strong female characters should not be represented in Tolkien's work or adaptations thereof, you should know that the primary controversy that my book Arda Reconstructed has caused resulted from my arguing that one of the most unfortunate results of Christopher Tolkien's editing process in creating the published Silmarillion was that it caused a significant reduction in the role that strong women play from what Tolkien actually wrote.

As others have done a good job of pointing out, there are tremendous possibility for the role of strong female characters in this series, without taking the absurd step of changing Gandalf's gender (absurd, even before you get to the fact that Gandalf would not even have a role in a series based on the Second Age, whatever gender he was represented as being. The fact that Ms. Malcolm is not part of the show is irrelevant to the point that I was making. Regardless of whether she is part of the show, she made a statement that was based on a lack of knowledge. I'm not a part of the show, either, but if I said that I thought they should have a female Gandalf I would think that was wrong too!

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.