Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Idle Idol Chatter

Farawyn
Rohan

Mar 14 2007, 2:12am

Post #1 of 10 (166 views)
Shortcut
Idle Idol Chatter Can't Post

Top 12. Diana Ross songs. Who should go? Who should stay?

Keep in mind that Idol has not run in all time zones yet when you post your replies!

"I have a perfect horror of words that are not backed up by deeds."
- Theodore Roosevelt, Oyster Bay, NY, July 7, 1915
Snark: The Other White Meat.
Disclaimer: The author of this message does not guarantee correct grammar, spelling or English usage. No responsibility can be accepted for the use of this message as a guide to written English.

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

Mar 14 2007, 11:54am

Post #2 of 10 (107 views)
Shortcut
re [In reply to] Can't Post

Sanjaya was absolutely pathetic. Haley was horrible as ever. Beat-box-boy can't sing, and his wave/moonwalk routine is getting old fast. Brandon looked like he was going to jump on Randy and beat his fat head into the ground as he offered his criticism. Phil looks like Nosferatu.

Let's get real, this competition is clearly between Melinda and Lakisha, as Simon rightly said. They are in a completely different league. Either one could rightly be declared the winner right now. Both of them will go on to have fantastic careers because they are truly talented. I'm thinking about leaving the room for all other performances but theirs. The rest of this crowd completely stink.

Out of the darkness of my life, so much frustrated, I put before you the one great thing to love on earth: the Blessed Sacrament... There you will find romance, glory, honour, fidelity, and the true way of all your loves on earth, and more than that: Death: by the divine paradox, that which ends life, and demands the surrender of all, and yet by the taste (or foretaste) of which alone can what you seek in your earthly relationships (love, faithfulness, joy) be maintained, or take on that complexion of reality, of eternal endurance, which every man's heart desires.

--J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter #43, to his son Michael

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Mar 14 2007, 1:47pm

Post #3 of 10 (116 views)
Shortcut
*Simon voice* That was truly pathetic. [In reply to] Can't Post

Give it up, guys. You're toast.
We have the always reliable Melinda and Lakisha... the talented but hit-or-miss
Jordin, Gina, and Stephanie...and then we have the risk-takers Chris Sligh (best male vocalist,
but stick to the singing, dude. Coldplay's Clocks was wayyy distracting for me...and you as well,
it seems) and Blake (No. Just. no. And that was more of a weird Phil Collins impression anyway).
Everyone else was boringly interchangeable.

Sanjaya is young and sooo not ready for a competition like AI, but Brandon should have been.
I'm done with him.
Will go: probably Brandon. The tweenies and teenies won't keep him around for his hair&smile. *eyeroll*
Possibly Stephanie, who doesn't seem to have much of a fan base yet, but that would be unfair, IMO.

Oh, and seriously, WTH do they see in Chris R.?!
His voice is bad enough (nasal-y, Country-tinged bad Stevie Wonder impression)
but he should never perform unless he's lashed to a stool.
His moves are more awkward than Elliot and Taylor combined.
*ack!*

(This post was edited by Eowyn of Penns Woods on Mar 14 2007, 1:56pm)

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

Mar 14 2007, 2:40pm

Post #4 of 10 (102 views)
Shortcut
??? [In reply to] Can't Post

???

They did Diana Ross songs last night......................

Out of the darkness of my life, so much frustrated, I put before you the one great thing to love on earth: the Blessed Sacrament... There you will find romance, glory, honour, fidelity, and the true way of all your loves on earth, and more than that: Death: by the divine paradox, that which ends life, and demands the surrender of all, and yet by the taste (or foretaste) of which alone can what you seek in your earthly relationships (love, faithfulness, joy) be maintained, or take on that complexion of reality, of eternal endurance, which every man's heart desires.

--J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter #43, to his son Michael

Farawyn
Rohan

Mar 14 2007, 4:33pm

Post #5 of 10 (101 views)
Shortcut
Jordin? [In reply to] Can't Post

She is only 17, has a great voice and is gorgeous! I think she has a lot of potential...
But yea, LaKisha and Melinda is where it's at.

Should go home: Sanjaya
WILL go home: Brandon

Dial Idol shows Sanjaya doing really well. Check it out if you want to see who they predict is going home.

Disclaimer: The author of this message does not guarantee correct grammar, spelling or English usage. No responsibility can be accepted for the use of this message as a guide to written English.

Farawyn
Rohan

Mar 14 2007, 4:35pm

Post #6 of 10 (94 views)
Shortcut
Oh, and I got my hair done like Sanjaya... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not.

Farawyn
Rohan

Mar 14 2007, 4:44pm

Post #7 of 10 (92 views)
Shortcut
Oh, and Melinda [In reply to] Can't Post

is starting to get to me with her profound shock at the judges loving her.
I'm wondering if it's real- if she's as humble as she wants to appear. Yes, I am cynical.

Aerin
Grey Havens

Mar 14 2007, 8:32pm

Post #8 of 10 (92 views)
Shortcut
"Potential" is the key word [In reply to] Can't Post

for Jordin. I can't believe Simon actually implied that she was in the same league with Melinda and LaKisha, because she simply is not. I would put Jordin, Stephanie, and Chris Sligh in the next rank.

Jordin has tremendous presence and likability and a decent voice, but her vocal technique needs a whole lot of work. She tends to get shouty and not use enough tone, her pitch is a bit precarious, and she especially needs to work on phrasing, about which she could learn a lot from Melinda. Jordin doesn't always seem to be thinking about the meaning of the words she's singing, or else she thinks about individual words and not about phrases. If she's chopping up phrases because she doesn't have enough breath, then she needs to work on breath control. Another thing that really struck me last night was how bumpy Jordin's "gear shifts" are. In any kind of singing (classical or popular), there should be a smooth, seamless transition between registers and volumes, but with Jordin, it's like she has at least three different voices, maybe more, with no connections between them. That's just poor vocal technique; a good coach could really help her with that.

I actually felt that Melinda stood out even more this week than before, even from LaKisha. Melinda sang a song I dislike and made me really enjoy it (I even had a tear in my eye at the end). LaKisha sang a song that I love, and completely failed to move me. Her delivery was too stylized and mannered -- the phrasing wasn't natural enough for such a soulful song. I'm sure she knows what the song is saying, but I kept wondering, anyway, just based her somewhat gimmicky delivery. One plus is that she did show more of her vocal quality, rather than just belting.

I do think Melinda is genuinely a humble person. When she was in elementary school, she was told she was "tone deaf" and was only allowed to lip-synch in her school choir. I know from experience, being put down like that, even when one knows one has talent, is very demoralizing and leaves a lasting mark. She's probably also uncomfortable about her appearance, especially in a competition where appearance and presence routinely trump vocal ability when America votes.

Aerin
Grey Havens

Mar 14 2007, 8:39pm

Post #9 of 10 (94 views)
Shortcut
Will Sanjaya's makeover be enough [In reply to] Can't Post

to keep him in the competition? Unfortunately, the answer is yes (I predict).

Brandon really blew it this week. He's got a very nice vocal quality (which I think the judges called "smoky"), but he has not been using it in his recent performances. It's his greatest strength, and he hasn't been showing it at all! I agree he'll probably go this week, though I would rather be rid of Chris Richardson, who really can't sing and has no redeeming qualities. Beat box boy can't sing either, but I'm sure he'll be an audience favorite til the end (sadly). Phil Stacey is so bland that I can't even remember what he sang, but at least he's inoffensive.

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Mar 15 2007, 5:48pm

Post #10 of 10 (128 views)
Shortcut
You forgot yodeling. ;o) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
In any kind of singing (classical or popular), there should be a smooth, seamless transition between registers and volumes

It's understandable. :D

~~~~~~~~

I used to be GaladrielTX, but I lost my TX and an hour over the weekend. Stupid Daylight Saving Time!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.