Sep 26, 11:07pm
Post #1 of 1
I had some free time on my hands and created a timeline for all the major production events so far (please delete this if you deem it unnecessary). It is interesting to compare the current timeline with the one for "Game of Thrones", in particular for how the production might proceed from now on. Of course, there are some limits to this kind of comparisons: The pilot for Game of Thrones underwent massive reshoots, the LotR series will not have a proper pilot to begin with, and the production budget for the latter is considerably higher. Still, it is interesting to note, for example, that HBO confirmed a majority of the main cast shortly after announcing where the series would be filmed.
Production timeline (incl. comparison)
The Lord of the Rings
Game of Thrones
- Mar. 17: Warner Bros. and Tolkien Estate settle lawsuit.
- Nov. 17: Rumors, then official confirmation that Amazon has acquired the rights for a TV series.
- May 18: Rumors that Season 1 will be about young Aragorn.
- Jul. 18: Amazon confirms Payne and McKay as writers.
- Feb./Mar. 19: Official Twitter account goes online, reveal of several maps, reveal of "Second Age" setting.
- May 19: Rumors that Cogman has been hired.
- Jun. 19: Rumors that the series will be filmed in Scotland.
- Jul. 19: Bayona confirmed as the director of the first two episodes, casting rumor about Kavenagh, official video about the creative team, Shippey interview.
- Sep. 19: Casting rumor about Poulter, New Zealand confirmed as shooting location.
- Mar. 06: Benioff and Weiss pitch Game of Thrones to HBO.
- Jan. 07: HBO acquires rights for the books.
- Aug. 07: First draft of the pilot script submitted.
- Jun. 08: Second draft of the pilot script submitted.
- Nov. 08: HBO orders pilot.
- Apr. 09: HBO confirms that the series will be shot in Ireland.
- May 09: Confirmation of Dinklage casting, director for pilot.
- Jul.-Sep. 09: Casting announcement for Bean, Harrington, Coster-Waldau, Turner, Williams, Heady, etc.
- Oct./Nov. 09: Shooting of pilot.
- Mar. 10: HBO orders Season 1.
- May 10: Recasting of Daenerys Targaryen
- Jun. 10: First official teaser (22 secs) for the show.
- Jul. 10: Filming for Season 1 begins.
- Sep. 10: HBO releases a new trailer and a behind-the-scenes video.
- Dec. 10: Shooting for Season 1 ends.
- Apr. 11: Air date of Episode 1.