Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond!! September 26

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 26, 12:34pm

Post #1 of 14 (2025 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond!! September 26 Can't Post

Greetings Fellow Walkers!

Welcome to Fall... or Spring... wherever your shoes are carrying you :) Bilbo and Frodo have celebrated (or suffered through) their Birthdays and Middle-earth is on the move!

Speaking of on the move... HOW YA DOIN'? :D There so much TO do this time of the year whether (weather) prepping for the winter months or welcoming the flowers and trees as they wake from their long sleep... it's a delightful time of the year! Fall is my fav :D I'm a sweater-lover and a lover of the burst of colours not just of the trees, but the wildflowers lining my country roads.

And the milkweeds exploding with soft seedlings always fascinate me! When I was a youngster, I used to think they were little fairies coming out from their hiding places and flying out into the air! Now I like to collect them as the seedlings spill out and carefully spray them with aerosol hairspray to seal them in time.

Bilbo, Gandalf, the Dwarves and I have finally put Weathertop well behind us and are still venturing on. Camping outside is already getting old ;) DWARVES SNORE!

I hope you're having fun on your Quest. DO TELL of your progress or adventures! See you on the Road!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Sep 26, 12:35pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 3, 12:53pm

Post #2 of 14 (1804 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! October 3 [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that we're firmly planted in October, does the weather found in this month (fall/spring) have any bearing on your journey? I am in absolute BLISS pulling on a sweater and enjoying a walk on my country roads without sweating and battling mosquitoes and horseflies. EXQUISITE!

Normally this time of year, I make a trek (first via my suv Hobbity) to Lake Michigan about 2 1/2 hrs west of me to visit that healing shore. The trees are quickly turning colour and the waves are getting big. Actually, I prefer to go on a cold, windy day when I need a heavy coat, stocking cap, gloves and an extra pair of shoes as I stand and just let the weather and waves take over. The seagulls perched on the sand will fly up and hover all around me as the wind holds them in place and I toss broken pieces of bread in the air for them to grab. If I stand still and hold a large piece high up, a gull will glide right up and pluck it from my fingers. Yeah... I love this time of year! I'll do the same thing in the spring as soon as I can after hiding out all winter :)

Meanwhile, the dwarves, Gandalf, Bilbo and I have left Weather top well behind and can see the distant trees of the Trollshaws. It will be nice to get out of the open and into the *kaff* peaceful forest ;)

So DO TELL on how you're coming along on your Quest! What is your favourite manner of gathering miles? There seems to be a lot of yardwork to do this time of the year.

*waves fondly* See you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

CuriousG
Half-elven

Oct 3, 9:46pm

Post #3 of 14 (1760 views)
Shortcut
Awesome photos // [In reply to] Can't Post

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 10, 11:34am

Post #4 of 14 (1510 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! October 10 [In reply to] Can't Post

Here we are, once again, well-met on the Road! Now how we travel that Road and which direction we choose is totally up to our whim. Whimsical is what I do VERY well... so I'm having a ball walking along with Hobbits, the Wizard, a Ranger, Dwarves, Elves and Men. *looks over list* Cripes... this Road is really crowded sometimes! I think I'll hang with Sam and walk with the very contented Pony ;) Although, it does get quite dusty back here!

Currently I'm on a Quest to the Lonely Mountain (via Rivendell) with Bilbo and Company. Thankfully we still have ponies, so I can escape the confusion of overlapping conversations and opinions and just hang out with the one creature in the crowd who doesn't want to have a debate... my pony :)

How are you coming along on your Quest? Are you part of a crowd or a single soul walking along the Road or moving through the trees? Do you have a specific goal at the end, or is the Journey the whole thing? So many options... which is the whole idea behind The Walk... you do it your way :)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 13, 4:26pm

Post #5 of 14 (1364 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! AN EXPLANATION & HISTORY links [In reply to] Can't Post

If you'd like to know how the Walk to Rivendell came to be and would like to join us, here is the link to the history and explanation of the Walk. There are also links to Resources that include the the Éowyn Challenge Website mileage charts and references from Karen Wynn Fonstad's book The Atlas of Middle-earth (wiki site) that we use for TORn's Walk.

Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! AN EXPLANATION & HISTORY

Walk to Rivendell… and Beyond! Resources Page

Walk to Rivendell Postcards

Walk to Rivendell Shields and Articles

Éowyn Challenge Website

Éowyn Challenge Website Charts (scroll down a bit ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 17, 11:17pm

Post #6 of 14 (1272 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! October 17 [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you're enjoying some fair weather and not the pretty intense changes in the US! Lots going on just to keep us on our toes.

I've spent A LOT of time on the Road... literally... but most in my SUV, hobbity. I've been to Indianapolis a couple of times (4-5 hr drive one way) and Milwaukee (6 hr drive). So I've had to do some work on getting some physical mileage in there since auto miles don't count. Oh... but if that did!!! I figure it's been about 1,800 miles with another Indy trip coming up next week. The bright spot is that this is NOT the dead of winter, the trees are all very colourful, and the music CDs I made for these days keeps me bouncing in my seat and makes the time pass quickly!

Bilbo, Gandalf, the Dwarves and I are making our way to the Trollshaws. *scratches head* I wonder why they call it that? ;)

So how are you coming along on your Quest? I hope you're getting some fine walks in some welcoming weather. DO TELL!

See you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Oct 18, 9:06pm

Post #7 of 14 (1224 views)
Shortcut
I'm lost. [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't reported anything here, because I've completely lost track of my miles...and then recently discovered that I wasn't giving myself enough credit for mileage after switching walking circuits this summer anyway. I'll do a better job of it in the future. I don't know where in Middle-earth I am, but the scenery in southern PA is starting to change color for real now after some welcome rain and cooler temps. I looove the chillier temps, because I can go out walking just after sunrise or late afternoon/early evening in short-sleeves without sweating for a change! And as long as the rain isn't pouring, I'm out walking in it with my rainy day music. Mom and I aren't always on the same schedule, but we still kind of push each other to get our miles in and to increase our speed as the days shorten.

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

CuriousG
Half-elven

Oct 19, 1:10pm

Post #8 of 14 (1149 views)
Shortcut
I like the fall chill too [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been walking more and for longer amounts of time now that it's cooler--much better weather to walk in than summer weather. Though I'm not keeping track of my miles, just the minutes, which usually are 45 min per walk, roughly. Trying very hard to make it a daily habit AND do it twice a day. Not hitting the "twice per day" goal, but am hitting the daily goal, unless it's rainy and windy.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 20, 3:11pm

Post #9 of 14 (1110 views)
Shortcut
How 'bout this... [In reply to] Can't Post

Since you've been walking in the same kind of weather and season at the hobbits, let's put you at the chart covering Hobbiton to Rivendell. Do you think you've gone about 458 miles... which would put you in Rivendell? Or somewhere in between? Based on how much your activity, I think you've visited Maggot and ol' Tom and have been to Bree (hence adding Strider to your group). Or with Bilbo, Gandalf and the dwarves the 397 miles from Bag End to Rivendell?

I say lets pick a place in the charts and go from there. Figure when you started and an average of how many miles (or equal activity) you've gone and we'll pick your spot. It could be you've already left Rivendell and are on your way to Moria or Lorien! I'm content with figuring a number and go from there. This is for fun and doesn't have any limitations, imho. It's fun to figure where you are! You can go with Bilbo and Company or the Fellowship... your choice :D

LET'S DO THIS! *high five*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Oct 20, 3:21pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 24, 10:56am

Post #10 of 14 (1023 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! October 24 [In reply to] Can't Post

Welcome Fellow Travellers!

I just looked over my shoulder and saw the end of October coming up quick behind me! YIKES! Here in my neck of the woods... that means winter is rearing its ugly head! *sigh* BUT there is still so much to do. This time next week is Halloween! That's always fun to see so many kids (old and young) in costumes running around. It's also Peter Jackson's b'day!

So what are your plans for these last few weeks of fall weather... or spring weather is your stars are strange to me? Do tell how you're coming along on your Quest!

Bilbo, Gandalf, the dwarves and I have been moving through some miserable weather. Rain, wind, cold... and now the darn pony got spooked and dumped all our gear into the river. AND Gandalf just went missing!!! *sigh* typical.

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Oct 25, 11:42pm

Post #11 of 14 (997 views)
Shortcut
Whew! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've watched the sky change colors at sunrise and sunset, been rained on and falling leaf-ed on, and refreshed by the cool wind while walking this week. I still don't know where any of our pedometers are, so I've only recorded actual circuit miles covered: 25 miles since I posted last week. With that, I'm content to just make the call as "stumbling into Rivendell", and go on from there.

I miss walking by moonlight, even with the chance of encountering Beorn's friend/kin caught on game-cam. ;)

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Oct 26, 12:21pm

Post #12 of 14 (958 views)
Shortcut
Woohoo! Well Done!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

One moonlight walk before the weather totally changes would be such a great idea... and adventure! Great place to take up your journey! You can't see it, but I'm smiling from ear-to-ear sittin' here! See you on the Road!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Oct 26, 12:53pm

Post #13 of 14 (953 views)
Shortcut
That's one of my favorite things about this time of year [In reply to] Can't Post

Being showered by brilliant leaves while walking along a path. I don't know why, but it's pleasant, as if Nature is saying "come join me in my Autumn dance!".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 1, 4:21am

Post #14 of 14 (823 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell... and Beyond! October 31 [In reply to] Can't Post

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Greetings Fellow Travellers!

Have you seen any of these on your Quest? Hopefully not! On this day of costumes and candy, I hope you've had some fun :D The weather here in mid-Michigan is giving us our first snow of the season... mixed with rain. Needless to say, the trees have lost about 90% of their lovely leaves *sigh* And so it beings.

Bilbo, Gandalf, the dwarves and I just had a bizarre encounter with some Trolls! MERCY! Gandalf, as usual, saved the day. So now we're picking through the Troll-hole and coming out with some treasure and swords. So exciting! But I could really use a nap about now.

How are you coming along on your Quest!? I hope you're having fun and mixing up the way you gather your mileage. Either way... I'll see you on the Road!!! :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.