Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Welcome/Bienvenu to Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 20, 4:11pm

Post #1 of 39 (455 views)
Shortcut
Welcome/Bienvenu to Fiesta Friday! Can't Post

Greetings, everyone, and welcome to a not-quite-autumn Fiesta!

First, I'd like to thank gramma, dernwyn and Eventides for covering the bar for me for the last 5 weeks. B.G. and I were lucky enough to have spent that time in France! We flew into Paris, then drove to the southwest area (near Biarritz) and stayed with my relatives for a week. It was an amazing experience actually living the way the French live and a great way to brush up on my French for the rest of the trip. We then continued our road trip to the medieval city of Carcasonne, on to Provence wine country and the tiny village of Chateauneuf du Pape, down to Nice and the French Riviera, then back to Paris for touristy sightseeing and a small group day-trip to the Champagne region. Yes, much amazing French wine and food was consumed by all! I'll report more about it over the weekend.

In other exciting news, after rumors that started this summer, Amazon finally announced that the new TV series will definitely be filmed in Middle-earth! As if us Tolkien fans didn't have enough excuses to visit NZ, we'll now have more for at least a bunch more years.

So, what have you been up to this past week? Any fun plans for the weekend? I'll be getting over the last vestiges of jet lag and catching up on work! Go a round or two at the buffet that's set up with croque monsieurs (grilled ham and cheese), croissants and butter, an amazing mix of French pastries, and only the best champagne!

*kicks juke box* Paris in the Rain by Lauv starts to play

Have an amazing weekend, everyone! CoolHeartSmile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Sep 20, 4:23pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 20, 4:23pm

Post #2 of 39 (396 views)
Shortcut
*nibbles on a croissant* Welcome home, Altaira! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a wonderful, memorable time you've had - I hope you took TONS of pictures, you've been to some lovely areas, and I hope you and BG can "bask in the afterglow" for a long time!

That's great news for NZ (and the excellent pool of talent there), now to see what new places become part of the Middle-earth landscape (and eventually part of the M-e tour Laugh).

Looks like this weekend will be the time to get the winter blankets and quilts out of the cedar chest! Are you well into the Fall weather, Altaira?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 20, 4:29pm

Post #3 of 39 (390 views)
Shortcut
Not even a hint of fall weather yet [In reply to] Can't Post

It will be 85 f here today, then hover around 80 for the next week or so. Pretty perfect, if you ask me. But, yes, it's only a matter of time before the blankies and sweaters will replace fans and tank tops. Laugh

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 20, 4:47pm

Post #4 of 39 (387 views)
Shortcut
That is warm! [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't work too hard this weekend, Altaira, give yourselves plenty of time for the jet lag to ease up - and maybe you could have a last barbecue of the season! Smile

sparrowruth
Rivendell

Sep 20, 7:28pm

Post #5 of 39 (387 views)
Shortcut
friday already o.o [In reply to] Can't Post

i'll have a croissant and.....something with chocolate please!

That sounds like a lovely trip through france! a road trip through somewhere with that much history sounds like a dream Smile

my 'fun' plans for the weekend include a (much less fun) road trip home so i can work....thankfully i don't need to be back in the city til monday evening. i think i might check out libre vox (? i hope i'm remembering the name right) for an audio book to keep me company

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 20, 8:48pm

Post #6 of 39 (383 views)
Shortcut
*flying tackle hug* Welcome home!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm SO DELIGHTED that BG and you had such an incredible time :D I'll bet you feel rejuvenated! And such wonderful goodies! YUMMMMM! Thank you so much!

You're back just in time for Bilbo and Frodo's b'day this weekend. Everyone is invited to share a game or some other party activity and to enjoy playing others' offerings, too. And how thrilling that the new series will be filmed at the home of Middle-earth. How could it have ever been done right anywhere else!?

You've come back just in time for some really nice weather... except for our friends in the South. Texas is once again being battered and horribly damaged. Prayers to them and to our sibbies who may be affected. The past couple of weeks here in Michigan is the best stretch of great weather we've had all year! But the trees have begun to turn colour and the geese are flying South over my home... which is a bit early for them.

It's so great to see you here safe and sound :) I'm gonna grab a pink lemonade and just carry off one of those trays ;)

*massive hug*

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Sep 20, 8:50pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 20, 8:56pm

Post #7 of 39 (376 views)
Shortcut
T'is the season for extra laundry ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

I spent part of the week washing the stores-away sweats, sweaters, and blankets. I really love bundling up and cozying under a blanket when watching tv or reading... so I'll be long ready for cooler weather :)

I hope you have a great weekend planning and prepping for your kitchen. I know there's a long way to go... but searching thrift stores, antique shops and craft shops is a great way to get a feel for highlights in your shiny new haven :D Have a great weekend!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 20, 8:58pm

Post #8 of 39 (375 views)
Shortcut
How about a chocolatini? [In reply to] Can't Post

• 1 1/2 ounces vanilla vodka
  • 1 1/4 ounces Baileys Irish Cream Liqueur
  • 1/4 ounce Godiva Chocolate Liqueur
  • Chocolate shavings for garnish

What's not to like? Laugh

Road trips are always better with an audio book. Enjoy the drive!

Altaira
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 20, 9:02pm

Post #9 of 39 (377 views)
Shortcut
*dusts self off* Thanks, gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh my, yes! Bilbo and Frodo's birthday weekend! I see from Main that you've tried to herd the cats again to organize some fun. Thanks for that. I can't wait.
Indeed, sending good thoughts south to everyone affected by the water deluge. Frown

Have a great weekend, gramma!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 20, 9:03pm

Post #10 of 39 (375 views)
Shortcut
Road trips are great for audio books [In reply to] Can't Post

even if your end of the ride is to work. *sigh* I hope you have a good weekend and find a book that becomes your new fav :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 21, 1:46am

Post #11 of 39 (360 views)
Shortcut
Welcome back! [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds a lovely trip, and brought back some nice memories, particularly of Carcassone :)

A gorgeous spring day today, perfect weather for being out in the garden. The sheep are very excited, because now that the daffs are all but finished (Lambkin is inclined to eat daffodils) we took down the electric fence around the orchard, which has the nicest grass. Much bounding about and chowing down grass, followed by much chewing of cud. Few things look more relaxed than a sheep chewing her cud.

My tiny tomato seedlings are looking good, and the containers of spuds are leafing away nicely. The asparagus is being tardy, but we did have the first few spears last night - yummy!

I'll cheerfully raise a glass of bubbly to friends old and new; journeys and homecomings; spring and autumn; sunshine and rain in due measure.

Wishing everyone a pleasant weekend.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 21, 9:53pm

Post #12 of 39 (338 views)
Shortcut
Wash-out weekend [In reply to] Can't Post

I've actually just spent over a day with some kind of combo sinus/stomach bug! Everyone in the family got it. Hubby got us bowls of chicken-lemon soup from the local pizza place last night, it really hit the spot.

We did get the quilt out of the cedar chest. How's your store of firewood? I think you made a special box for the scraps for fire-starters?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 21, 9:57pm

Post #13 of 39 (337 views)
Shortcut
Is it a long trip [In reply to] Can't Post

when you travel home? I'll usually put a bunch of CDs on the seat beside me to swap out if I have to drive a long distance by myself. The LotR score got me through many drives home ten years ago, when my Mom was failing.

I think the site is LibriVox. Did you find something good for your trip? Smile

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 21, 10:00pm

Post #14 of 39 (341 views)
Shortcut
*rummages for a pick-me-up* [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a little rheumy-eyed this morning after a late night watching the All Blacks' opening Rugby World Cup game, against South Africa. This Japan time-zone will be a bit of a challenge, but it's doable for rugby. Smile

The first round-robin isn't over yet and already there have been cracking matches and near upsets. This RWC is going to be fantastic. Heart

Meanwhile, I'm over the hump of a big project at work. In about a month I should have delivered the final bit of marketing - I'm really happy about how this has come together. Of course, before this is done and dusted I'll have three other big projects to get stuck into. It never stops! BUT, it's really interesting work and I work with good people, and that helps enormously.

I hope everyone's having a lovely weekend. Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 21, 10:00pm

Post #15 of 39 (338 views)
Shortcut
The sure sign of Spring [In reply to] Can't Post

Sheep in the orchard! Laugh No fruits on the ground, yet, but I imagine it's very pleasant in there.

Fresh asparagus...mmm...do you grow rhubarb?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 21, 10:07pm

Post #16 of 39 (337 views)
Shortcut
Go All Blacks! [In reply to] Can't Post

The time zones do make a mess of one's normal sleep/work hours, don't they! Laugh As long as the games keep up the excitement, though, no one really minds.

Congrats on the accomplishments at work! Agreed: it all goes so much better, when one has good co-workers. Cool

cats16
Valinor

Sep 22, 1:20am

Post #17 of 39 (326 views)
Shortcut
How fun! [In reply to] Can't Post

You've got me jealous just by that summary alone. Sounds like it was everything you could have wanted, and then some! Hope the slow descent back into the "real world" is pleasant and relaxing.

We've also at 85ish this weekend, which is better than it *could* be. It's been a mild September compared to usual, so I won't complain.

A nervous couple of days but I've decided to move apartments and live with a couple of friends. Waiting on the new landlady to confirm I'm all good re: credit check, but hoping to get the greenlight any moment now! I gave my current manager my 30 day notice (trying not to imagine a scenario in which the new place rejects me and I've inadvertently lost housing for myself Pirate). I'm not worried since the new landlady, I'm told, is just happy to know that the empty room is to be filled--I can't imagine she'll have any issues! And I'm happy with the new place--cheaper rent (in LA that's unheard of!), more space, central A/C *and* an in-unit washer/dryer. All of which are great victories in the current rent market. Angelic

I have a couple of weeks until I need to stress about the move itself. My girlfriend leaves for her European cruise tomorrow, so we might go to an arcade or something tonight to get out of the apartment.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 22, 3:42am

Post #18 of 39 (305 views)
Shortcut
Oh no... [In reply to] Can't Post

That's so miserable. I'm glad you weren't sick last weekend; but there's no good time to be sick like that... especially everyone at once!
I've got loads of firewood and yes... that box of kindling ready to go! I hope you all feel better immediately... if not sooner! *warms up soup*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 22, 3:47am

Post #19 of 39 (307 views)
Shortcut
Ohhh... what a nice tribute :) [In reply to] Can't Post

*raises glass* Hear, hear!

I love your description of springtime in your world :D Sheep are such a great icon of peacefulness, simplicity, and joyful play by the youngsters :D I hope you have a wonderful weekend!!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 22, 3:51am

Post #20 of 39 (306 views)
Shortcut
Exciting games! [In reply to] Can't Post

The All Blacks are doing so well! :D

I'm glad you're project is coming together so well and that the others are interesting to you. It makes the work go so much easier and quicker.

How are you healing up? Are you enjoying not hurting every time you move? I hope the days are easier :D Have a great weekend!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 22, 3:56am

Post #21 of 39 (309 views)
Shortcut
Not stressful at all *kaff* [In reply to] Can't Post

OMG! You really needed something to keep you on your toes! Apartment hunting and moving have GOT to be right up there with big challenges! But it sounds like you're on the right track. I hope you hear very soon and can start packing at your leisure. I'll bet your girlfriend is so excited about finally starting her trip! While she's struggling with luggage and long lines *winkie wink*, it's a good time to get a jump on sorting and boxing. AND I hope you don't have a lot of furniture to move. Enjoy your weekend!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Sep 22, 4:00am)

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 22, 5:43am

Post #22 of 39 (301 views)
Shortcut
It's a slow process [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
How are you healing up?

...but it's going well. The surgeon advised that the recovery would more difficult a second time around but I've found it to be opposite, and I have to remind myself to get off my feet even though I'm feeling OK - I've pushed it a couple of times and paid for it. I'm on limited walking until the end of November - quite frustrating the last few days, with the great weather we've had - but I'll finally start strengthening work at the gym next week (if the trainer doesn't cancel on me again Unimpressed ). So, slow but steady. Smile

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 22, 5:47am

Post #23 of 39 (298 views)
Shortcut
:) [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, the orchard is pleasant in all seasons, although the sheep's favourite time is definitely when the fruit is falling. :)

Oddly enough, we haven't had much luck with rhubarb, although I don't know why. Maybe time to try again...

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

sparrowruth
Rivendell

Sep 22, 5:49am

Post #24 of 39 (297 views)
Shortcut
Thankfully its only a little over an hour [In reply to] Can't Post

And yes, i will put several CDs to swap out as well. The Halo 2 score is a particular fave and actually a permanent fixture in my car.

I ended up forgetting to find an audiobook before turning off my laptop Crazy try again for the trip back on Monday i guess

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Sep 22, 7:20am

Post #25 of 39 (300 views)
Shortcut
Downton Abbey film [In reply to] Can't Post

Usually I don't catch up to a film till it's been out 10 years or so (LotR excepted, of course), but some friends and I went to see Downton Abbey in a crowded theater tonight. It's not one of the all-time greats but we did have a pleasant time. Maggie Smith is a real treasure.
Our part of Texas was not hit hard by the rains; poor Houston and points east received many inches in a few hours. People were finally rebuilding after Hurricane Harvey two years ago, and now this catastrophe happens.
Altaira, glad that you and B.G. had such a memorable trip to France. How was the weather? Unseasonably warm?
Happy autumn to all northern hemisphere TORnsibs,ElanorTX

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.