The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the equinox reading thread!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 17 2019, 5:05pm

Post #1 of 9 (432 views)
Shortcut
It's the equinox reading thread! Can't Post

Whether it's the beginning of spring or of autumn depends on where you are, of course. Suffice it to say Texas has no idea where it is, and is on track for the hottest September ever.

I listened to The Careful Use of Compliments, one of Alexander McCall Smith's Isabel Dalhousie books, because I wanted something quiet and familiar. I enjoy McCall Smith's writing, and the way Isabel thinks, but you don't read these books looking for a complex plot!

I'm now listening to an abridged version of Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods, which he reads himself in a comfortable, pleasant voice. This is simply an account of him and his friend Katz hiking part of the Appalachian Trail, filled with small incidents, funny descriptions, and serious thoughts on all manner of topics.

I'm reading on---well, on my e-reader, not paper---Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett. Our main characters are witches Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg, and Magrat, each distinctive in her own way. As always, the prose is stunningly funny and profound at the same time. His Discworld is both a creative fantasy construction and a mirror of our own world. I'm savoring every word.

If you're guessing that all of the above are comfort reads, then you'd be right.

So what have you been reading?

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Annael
Immortal

Sep 18 2019, 3:57pm

Post #2 of 9 (370 views)
Shortcut
Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens [In reply to] Can't Post

She's terrific at the descriptions; she evokes the marsh where an abandoned girl manages to survive quite vividly. I found the plot a bit far-fetched and the characters a tad simplistic, but overall I enjoyed it.

I've also been reading In the Midst of Winter by Isabel Allende, which has a complicated plot, complicated characters, and plenty of description. Allende is a master, no doubt about it. This novel is much lighter on the magical realism (although there's a bit) that usually characterizes her work, and she has a lot to say about the plight of illegal immigrants from south & central America - both the horrors they're trying to flee, and what happens to them on their flights and after. If this were a movie it would come with warnings about graphic scenes of violence.

I ended up re-reading the entire "Crystal Cave" series by Mary Stewart as a running start to reading the final book, The Wicked Day, but once Merlin departed the scene it just wasn't as interesting (despite her beautiful writing). She works hard to make Mordred understandable and even sympathetic, but making him the central character robbed the story of some of its power, I thought.

Next up: The Bookseller of Kabul, a nonfiction book about a man who sold books on the sly to people in Kabul, and The Embodied Self: Friedrich Schleiermacher's Solution to Kant's Problem of the Empirical Self by the Rev. Thandeka for a little light reading Wink

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2019, 1:28am

Post #3 of 9 (339 views)
Shortcut
I'm reading Equal Rites! [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved Terry's word craft.

I saw they cast Sam Vimes for The Watch based on the characters of Discworld. It's not an adaptation of the books from what I understand, but a tv series set in Discworld with the City Watch characters. I hope they do Sam justice - Night Watch is one of my all time favorite books.

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 21 2019, 3:24pm

Post #4 of 9 (327 views)
Shortcut
There's a TV series? // [In reply to] Can't Post

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Sep 21 2019, 8:18pm

Post #5 of 9 (313 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.imdb.com/...nv_sr_2?ref_=nv_sr_2

Richard Dormer has been cast as Sam Vimes.

Fingers crossed. Sam is such a complicated character. It would be a shame to make him into a stupid thug.

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 21 2019, 8:58pm

Post #6 of 9 (306 views)
Shortcut
Cool! [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, Dormer looks the part in his IMDB photo. We'll see how it works out. Thanks!

CuriousG
Half-elven

Sep 22 2019, 5:00pm

Post #7 of 9 (290 views)
Shortcut
A Wizard of Earthsea [In reply to] Can't Post

which I haven't read for 20+ years, so it's time for a re-read. I find I'm much more patient with Le Guin's slow buildup at the beginning, and more tolerant of the darker aspects. I first read it as a child and thought it gloomy, then again in college for a course and thought it okay, a philosophical book that wasn't quite in line with my own philosophies at the time. (I wish Harry Potter had been around when I was a kid--that was what I wanted to read then, over and over.) Anyway, I'm appreciating her subtlety a lot more now.

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Sep 22 2019, 5:59pm

Post #8 of 9 (286 views)
Shortcut
How The French Won Waterloo (Or Think They Did) [In reply to] Can't Post

by satirical writer Stephen Clarke. I see that he has written several other books, all aimed squarely at the French people. He had researched Waterloo in depth, but although quite funny in parts, a little too snide for my taste. I might try another one, just to confirm.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 24 2019, 2:49pm

Post #9 of 9 (264 views)
Shortcut
It's the Baggins birthday reading thread! [In reply to] Can't Post

A very happy, if somewhat belated, birthday to two of our favorite hobbitses!!

Last week I listened to one of Rhys Bowen's Lady Georgiana books, Malice at the Palace. This episode takes place during the run-up to the wedding of Prince George (an uncle of the present-day queen) and Princess Marina of Greece. The mystery element is entertaining, if predictable, but I feel there's too much of the actual history---social and political---of 1930s Britain, with many nudge-wink references to events that will occur in the future.

This is the first one of Bowen's series I've listened to rather than read. The narrator uses heavy, almost Pythonesque accents for the characters, especially the upper-class ones.

I'm now listening to my favorite of Ellis Peters' Brother Cadfael books, The Virgin in the Ice. The female narrator seems a bit out of place for a book whose characters are almost exclusively male, but is unobtrusive enough. As for the underlying mystery story, Peters' writing, plotting, and characters are exceptionally fine in this installment of the series. I can feel the chill of the winter as Cadfael and Hugh search for a missing heiress.

On paper I'm having another magazine catch-up, reading a Smithsonian and an Archaeology. It's the former that has a great article on the excavations at Pompeii, while the latter's topics range from England to Afghanistan. The current issue of Smithsonian is waiting for me, with a cover story on George Washington's youthful service in the British army during the French and Indian war.

What have you been reading?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.