Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Caption Contest forum?

skyofcoffeebeans
Rivendell

Sep 16, 3:35pm

Post #1 of 8 (979 views)
Shortcut
Caption Contest forum? Can't Post

I simultaneously deeply respect and have zero interest in the caption contests that proliferate the discussion forums. With little ongoing public discussion of Lord of the Rings or the Hobbit, they are the often only active threads in those forums. My experience browsing is this:

1. New posts in LOTR or Hobbit boards (click!)
2. It's only the Caption Contest (not clicking)
3. Festering acrimony (less likely to click)

I wonder if that's the case for anyone else. For those who post in the caption contests, do we see enough interest in them to warrant their own forum? Is there any way to separate threads captioning screenshots of the movies and those interested in reading about or discussing them?

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 16, 3:48pm

Post #2 of 8 (950 views)
Shortcut
A Dedicated Forum? [In reply to] Can't Post

No, I don't think the caption contests warrant their own forum. If they don't interest you, isn't it easy enough to ignore them?

"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." - DRWolf (after John C. Maxwell)

skyofcoffeebeans
Rivendell

Sep 16, 4:27pm

Post #3 of 8 (948 views)
Shortcut
That would be easy enough... [In reply to] Can't Post

...if the movie forums themselves were more active. As it stands, my user experience with the forum is often frustrating because the only active threads are caption contests in forums marked as discussion forums, meaning I spend a lot of time clicking on a forum I should have interest in, only to result in frustration when I don't find interest in them. This isn't the case when threads other than the caption contests are active, but as the movies' mass relevance stagnates, this becomes increasingly rare. Slower loading times from the server can sometimes compound the problem.

We have an entire dedicated forum for polls; I don't see why the caption contests, which are fairly active, might warrant the same treatment if there was enough interest. But this post is only intended as user feedback. If the solution is for me to ignore it, I understand and will continue to do that.

(This post was edited by skyofcoffeebeans on Sep 16, 4:27pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 16, 6:31pm

Post #4 of 8 (935 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

...like you, I'm just another user at the end of the day, and my opinion is just that. The admins might have other ideas.

"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." - DRWolf (after John C. Maxwell)

Paulo Gabriel
Rivendell

Sep 17, 4:03am

Post #5 of 8 (903 views)
Shortcut
Becuase they are so irritating... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's hard to ignore such blatant futility. I want DEEP! discussion of the movies...

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 17, 4:45pm

Post #6 of 8 (869 views)
Shortcut
Admins are discussing [In reply to] Can't Post

and we'll share our thoughts soon. Thanks for the suggestion!

Lissuin
Valinor

Sep 17, 7:20pm

Post #7 of 8 (855 views)
Shortcut
ALERT [In reply to] Can't Post

NARFism has quietly moved in and now dominates yet another sacred center of fandom - the TORn Film Forums. All that silliness threatens the relentlessly earnest discussion to settle once and for all the question, "LOTR and The Hobbit films: good thing or bad thing."

Until an investigation can be concluded, fans frustrated by frivolity are advised to refrain from clicks on threads prominently displaying the title Caption Contest followed by Roman numerals.

Respectfully,
Liss
X

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Sep 18, 2:40pm

Post #8 of 8 (793 views)
Shortcut
Have you tried starting your own discussion? [In reply to] Can't Post

Seems to me this is a user forum. If you really want deep discussions, start one! There are plenty of folks who would join in. It doesn't have to be a fancy post with links and lots of research. Maybe just start with a question about something that interested you from the movies.

Just a suggestion.

_

Heed WBA when building blanket forts.
ITLs don't get enough FAS. :)

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

(This post was edited by Dame Ioreth on Sep 18, 2:41pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.