Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Early September: What have you been watching?

CuriousG
Half-elven

Sep 4, 7:42pm

Post #1 of 22 (863 views)
Shortcut
Early September: What have you been watching? Can't Post

I made it through 8 episodes of Carnival Row on Amazon Prime, and I say it that way because it was a bit of work. I'd give the show about 3.5 stars out of 5. It was interesting seeing Orlando Bloom act like a man instead of a pretty boy for a change (he's a police detective investigating a serial killer in a fanciful realm of humans and "fae," or fairy folk). The casting was good, the setting was peculiar enough that it almost seemed like Victorian London but wasn't quite, so you kept wondering what else would be different about it.

But, I dunno. His love interest was Cara Delevingne, who played a tough girl in Valerian (I don't recommend that movie, though its visuals were cool), and she's tough here, plus she's very good-looking, but their chemistry was next to nil. Other actors did a good job, and it is a fairly large cast with multiple plot lines. I think what weighed me down most was the reminder every 5-10 minutes about how awful intolerance and bigotry are. That is preaching to the choir when it comes to me, but I really don't need that many unsubtle reminders. And it seemed rather like they had a checklist of abuses to get through, so there was a #MeToo moment. And because Game of Thrones got away with having incest, there's a bit of that here too. Which all made the show feel like it was a crockpot stew of other shows, plots, issues, etc. And yet, it wasn't all bad, either. But I'm going on at length about it since it makes me wonder how Amazon will handle its Tolkien show. Will Numenor have problems with immigrants, #MeToo moments, and a touch of incest? *sigh*

Also watched Airplane, which is still funny, and Jupiter Ascending, which is a rather silly movie but like Valerian has impressive visuals (even more so).

So, please let us know what you've been watching lately.

Annael
Immortal

Sep 4, 10:53pm

Post #2 of 22 (794 views)
Shortcut
I got through one episode of Carnival Row [In reply to] Can't Post

it sounded right up my alley, but like you I found the message too heavy-handed. I hate being preached at even when I agree with the message; it's demeaning.

I've been, slowly, going through The Boys. While it's incredibly gory, I find I don't mind it. The characters are complicated, not all good or all bad, and the premise (that superheroes can go bad, but if they do, who can do anything about it?) is intriguing. Plus it stars Karl Urban, 'nuff said.

Catching up on a few iZombie episodes I missed (and rewatching some favorites, like the one where Liv and Ravi compete in a dance contest). This show is brilliant in every way and I will probably watch it all over again from the start.

New season of The Great British Baking Show is on Amazon, yay!

This summer we got hooked on Paul O'Grady: For the Love of Dogs. (We live close enough to the border to get Canadian channels.) Paul is, I gather, the British (Irish?) equivalent of RuPaul; he's not doing drag any more, but he goes to an animal shelter every week to publicize the dogs so people will adopt them. He's a big softy about dogs and over the course of the show he adopted 7 dogs and got his friends to adopt several others. Couldn't sell a Corgi to the Queen, however. You'll laugh, you'll cry, it's a sweet show.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

CuriousG
Half-elven

Sep 4, 11:44pm

Post #3 of 22 (787 views)
Shortcut
"Demeaning" is spot-on [In reply to] Can't Post

I felt like the show treated me like some stupid, dense person who really needed the message bluntly repeated because I'm just too dumb to get it.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 5, 3:29am

Post #4 of 22 (775 views)
Shortcut
Stranger Things season 1 [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I'm late to the party. This feels so Stephen Spielberg mid-80s, and I love it! I really like where the finale ended (ew, coughing up demon slugs) and I'm about to start season 2. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Annael
Immortal

Sep 5, 3:02pm

Post #5 of 22 (738 views)
Shortcut
on the late, much-missed televisionwithoutpity forums [In reply to] Can't Post

we would speak of "throwing anvils" as jargon for such heavy-handed messaging. Everyone loathed it.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Sep 6, 2:37pm

Post #6 of 22 (722 views)
Shortcut
Jupiter Ascending [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched that movie on Netflix not too long ago, because I had never seen it before and Netflix's social media was touting it as a wacky space opera that needed to be seen to be believed. I wish I could take back the two hours I spent watching that travesty. It's a shame, because the Wachowskis are capable of great things (I actually liked Cloud Atlas, to be honest), but that was a disaster: it felt like a poor attempt to make science-fiction "mainstream", while disregarding the fact that "mainstream" doesn't have to mean one-dimensional paranormal romances and Cinderella-esque damsel-in-distress heroines.

"It is my duty to fight" - Mulan

Hamfast Gamgee
Grey Havens

Sep 6, 11:29pm

Post #7 of 22 (703 views)
Shortcut
Quinton Tarantino's latest [In reply to] Can't Post

But as this is a family forum I really cannot go into plot details! I have also discovered something called Ghosts a comedy which I quite liked.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Sep 7, 2:19am

Post #8 of 22 (695 views)
Shortcut
She was a damsel in constant distress, wasn't she? [In reply to] Can't Post

It got rather tiresome. And then the many speeches by people (the 3 rich siblings) which never actually amounted to much. In general, the movie was a mess. I agree, the Wachowskis are capable of much better. I'll always love the Matrix (and dislike its sequels, which had the same problem of too many speeches and not enough plot). But they do get the visuals right.

They were behind Sense8, and I liked the first season of that a lot. It stood out in having strongly compelling characters and unique synergies between them.

I still need to watch Cloud Atlas, but I've never read a review that made me want to watch it, so I'm dragging my heels.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 7, 6:40am

Post #9 of 22 (684 views)
Shortcut
I really liked Cloud Atlas, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

...if I ever watch it again, I'll put the captions on. (The novel syntax was hard to follow at times )

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Sep 7, 6:41am)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Sep 7, 4:08pm

Post #10 of 22 (618 views)
Shortcut
OK, so I just read a review that makes me want to watch the captions. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the advice.

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Sep 7, 5:50pm

Post #11 of 22 (601 views)
Shortcut
It's hard to get through at first, but the payoff is extraordinary [In reply to] Can't Post

If you can make it to the end (I nearly tuned out a few times early on) I think you'll be rewarded. It's a very thought-provoking film, with a story that shouldn't make sense but does. It's got serious flaws from a filmmaking standpoint, but the story is rich, layered, and really beautiful and inspiring.

"It is my duty to fight" - Mulan

cats16
Valinor

Sep 7, 5:57pm

Post #12 of 22 (599 views)
Shortcut
If nothing else at all... [In reply to] Can't Post

You'll see a masterclass in film editing!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Annael
Immortal

Sep 9, 1:23am

Post #13 of 22 (536 views)
Shortcut
Just watched all the bonus features for "Avengers: Endgame" [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter Jackson et cie. still the best at bonus features . . .

-- Gaston Bachelard

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 9, 10:15am

Post #14 of 22 (506 views)
Shortcut
**raises lit Bic** :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

Eruonen
Valinor

Sep 10, 3:48pm

Post #15 of 22 (457 views)
Shortcut
Yes, there is a strong preaching element....Carnival Row [In reply to] Can't Post

so I can compartmentalize a lot of that because it seems to be everywhere now. I like the combo setting of technology being rather steam punkish....kind of a 1890s -1910 era look. I don't think there is much of an origin story - it is not clear to me if this is supposed to be a new land on earth or some alternate earth. I recall it just saying men came to the land of fae etc.

Chemistry...well, Cara is gay so she has to fake it with Orlando who probably has Katy Perry looking over his shoulder.

I agree, I think 3.5/5 is a fair mark.

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Sep 10, 3:49pm)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Sep 10, 4:01pm

Post #16 of 22 (453 views)
Shortcut
The funny thing about steam punk is I'm somewhere between neutral and not a fan, but [In reply to] Can't Post

I liked the steam punkish atmosphere in Carnival Row. So, I'm back to saying they did some things right with the show.

They've already green-lighted a 2nd season, so hopefully it will be 1) less preachy and 2) tell us more about the Burghe, the Pact, and what the different fae are. They mostly seem like humans with makeup to me, aside from the flying fairies. I like how they fly--instantly and effortlessly. That part is cool.

SPOILER: one big thing they have to resolve, in my mind, is how the Burghe was able to import the fae library after losing it to the Pact. Was that just a mistake in the plotting, or is there some sinister, underlying agreement between Burghe and Pact to oppress and eliminate the fae, so the war was just a ruse, and all the soldiers killed were tragic pawns?

Eruonen
Valinor

Sep 10, 4:05pm

Post #17 of 22 (449 views)
Shortcut
Orlando's character is similar to Luke Evans character in The Alienist. [In reply to] Can't Post

My wife thought it was Luke Evans when she saw Orlando's character.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Sep 10, 4:59pm

Post #18 of 22 (444 views)
Shortcut
That Luke Evans comparison is certainly accurate: [In reply to] Can't Post

practically twins. (Did someone mention Elrond and Elros? Just kidding.)

Orlando's gritty demeanor reminded me of Karl Urban in "The Boys," just not as gritty and menacing.

While I don't plan to go back and re-watch it anytime soon, I might browse the scenes with Imogen in them. For some reason, even though I didn't like her character, I liked her portrayal of her. It would have been easy to be a shallow, one-dimensional, stuffy, snotty upper-class lady, since that's what she was, but I think she brought a certain humanity to the role, so I didn't think of her as a cardboard cutout.

The other unsung actor who did well was Orlando's landlady. And then what I'd call "the regulars" (Jared Harris, Indira Varma, Andrew Gower) whom I've seen in other shows all did well too. Jared Harris in particular has a convincing range: from the nebbishy guy on "Mad Men" to the obnoxious Belter terrorist leader on "The Expanse," and now the pompous, aggressive, Establishment chancellor and flawed but loving father on this show.

Annael
Immortal

Sep 11, 3:05pm

Post #19 of 22 (365 views)
Shortcut
random aside [In reply to] Can't Post

Evans, Bloom, & Rupert Friend could play triplets . . .

-- Gaston Bachelard

Annael
Immortal

Sep 11, 3:10pm

Post #20 of 22 (369 views)
Shortcut
Saw "Yesterday" last night [In reply to] Can't Post

Enjoyed it very much. The ending surprised me, happily, and I enjoyed how Ed Sheeran played himself as the hot thing being upstaged. Kate McKinnon a bit over the top, as were the advertising team, but as metaphors for the soul-less world of marketing that musicians have to negotiate, I was okay with it. The best part was Robert Carlyle's cameo . . . that, and getting to revel in some of the best songs ever written.

We talked, on the way home, about how the Beatles captured the zeitgeist of an era of incredible cultural change, and would their songs really have the same impact if we only discovered them now? Not so sure about that.

-- Gaston Bachelard

CuriousG
Half-elven

Sep 11, 3:43pm

Post #21 of 22 (365 views)
Shortcut
Beatles, Marketing, Soullessness [In reply to] Can't Post

That was a fun subject line. Smile

Beatles: I was born in 1964 and was a child when the Beatles broke up, but I always loved their music, more than just about anything else. But, I realized recently while listening to oldies on Pandora, Beatles songs just don't sound that good anymore. Maybe because recording technology is better, and music is more sophisticated, or whatever, but aside from a few favorites (Lovely Rita, Lucy in the Sky), I find myself skipping their songs now. And no one is more surprised at this aesthetic change than me.

Marketing soullessness: I am not anti-marketing as a whole, but it can be soulless, and if you're watching "The Boys," you've seen how soulless it is. Everything the superheros do has to build on their brand, and it's all about how successful their brand is so the corporation backing them can make money off them. Saving people's lives and fighting crime are irrelevant. It's just about the brand. And yeah, marketing can get that way in other contexts too.

To counterweight that observation, I'll say that one of the things I liked while working at Harvard Publishing is that Harvard obsesses about its brand, a brand that stands for quality. (And yes, I know Harvard isn't a perfect place.) But they took it seriously, and I remember business decisions were made where we could have made a lot of money on some mediocre product lines, but it would have potentially tarnished the brand, so we chose not to. And that was pretty cool.

Eruonen
Valinor

Sep 11, 4:50pm

Post #22 of 22 (358 views)
Shortcut
We enjoyed Yesterday too. [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.