Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Does anyone know anything about the Netflix Narnia show?

sparrowruth
Rivendell

Wed, 5:01am

Post #1 of 4 (112 views)
Shortcut
Does anyone know anything about the Netflix Narnia show? Can't Post

I'm an avid but very offline fan of the chronicles, so mushroom's post was the first i'd heard about it. Do any fellow narnians here on TORn know anything about it?

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Wed, 2:26pm

Post #2 of 4 (77 views)
Shortcut
Hmm, no I haven't [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's a minority opinion, or perhaps I'm a Marsh-wiggle, but I was disappointed in the movies (although I generally liked the casting). Not sure if I'd venture out of the books again, but I might try if folks here like it. Smile

sparrowruth
Rivendell

Wed, 6:48pm

Post #3 of 4 (70 views)
Shortcut
yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved the movies personally, but i can somewhat see where you're coming from. they definitely got progressively farther from the original plot as the trilogy went on. i'm still somewhat holding out for the rumours of a silver chair movie Unsure even though im very dubious about whether it would be a good as the first three. so the series is probably going in the same box as that (potential) movie - i will watch it but im definitely reserving judgement until ive seen it and may or may not accept it as canon depending on how i like it.

if you are up for a small venture out of the books, Focus on the Family has made a really excellent radio theatre dramatization of all seven books that sticks really closely to the text while bringing it to life beautifully

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

12:58am

Post #4 of 4 (11 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I rented those for my kids [In reply to] Can't Post

Silver Chair--pretty much my favorite, along with Dawn Treader and M. Nephew. I love how different in tone each book is from the other. Treader used to be my favorite book, but I read it too many times! Did you know that more recent editions drastically change the Dark Island section? The original passage is much, much better, in my opinion. Apparently, Lewis wrote two versions and was conflicted about whether the first version might be too scary for children, and sometime after the 70's, somebody decided to switch to the other version. I have both versions--and I kinda think the change is a travesty. Unsure

Anyway, for any of these detailed imaginary worlds, like Tolkien and Lewis produced, if a movie or video doesn't "feel" (not just "look") like Narnia or Middle Earth, I just can't get into it. The "world" is a character for me. Jackson got the feel and look of it mostly right for me in the LOTR movies (actually, the feel more than the look oddly enough). The Hobbit and any of the Narnia videos/movies I've seen just didn't--for me that is.
Although I thought Jackson's Smaug was really wonderful.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.