Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Does anyone know anything about the Netflix Narnia show?

sparrowruth
Rivendell

Sep 11, 5:01am

Post #1 of 9 (343 views)
Shortcut
Does anyone know anything about the Netflix Narnia show? Can't Post

I'm an avid but very offline fan of the chronicles, so mushroom's post was the first i'd heard about it. Do any fellow narnians here on TORn know anything about it?

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Sep 11, 2:26pm

Post #2 of 9 (297 views)
Shortcut
Hmm, no I haven't [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's a minority opinion, or perhaps I'm a Marsh-wiggle, but I was disappointed in the movies (although I generally liked the casting). Not sure if I'd venture out of the books again, but I might try if folks here like it. Smile

sparrowruth
Rivendell

Sep 11, 6:48pm

Post #3 of 9 (290 views)
Shortcut
yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved the movies personally, but i can somewhat see where you're coming from. they definitely got progressively farther from the original plot as the trilogy went on. i'm still somewhat holding out for the rumours of a silver chair movie Unsure even though im very dubious about whether it would be a good as the first three. so the series is probably going in the same box as that (potential) movie - i will watch it but im definitely reserving judgement until ive seen it and may or may not accept it as canon depending on how i like it.

if you are up for a small venture out of the books, Focus on the Family has made a really excellent radio theatre dramatization of all seven books that sticks really closely to the text while bringing it to life beautifully

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Sep 15, 12:58am

Post #4 of 9 (233 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I rented those for my kids [In reply to] Can't Post

Silver Chair--pretty much my favorite, along with Dawn Treader and M. Nephew. I love how different in tone each book is from the other. Treader used to be my favorite book, but I read it too many times! Did you know that more recent editions drastically change the Dark Island section? The original passage is much, much better, in my opinion. Apparently, Lewis wrote two versions and was conflicted about whether the first version might be too scary for children, and sometime after the 70's, somebody decided to switch to the other version. I have both versions--and I kinda think the change is a travesty. Unsure

Anyway, for any of these detailed imaginary worlds, like Tolkien and Lewis produced, if a movie or video doesn't "feel" (not just "look") like Narnia or Middle Earth, I just can't get into it. The "world" is a character for me. Jackson got the feel and look of it mostly right for me in the LOTR movies (actually, the feel more than the look oddly enough). The Hobbit and any of the Narnia videos/movies I've seen just didn't--for me that is.
Although I thought Jackson's Smaug was really wonderful.

sparrowruth
Rivendell

Sep 16, 4:19am

Post #5 of 9 (219 views)
Shortcut
If you are interested [In reply to] Can't Post

in listening to the others, I have digital copies that I might be able to share. Personally, I've listened to Horse and His Boy and Prince Caspian probably the most, followed by LWW - my sister put those three on her ipod years ago and still listens to them regularly.....and i end up getting bits by default lol. She's listened to them so many times by now that she can quote fairly significant portions cold. I'm not quite as avid a listener, but HHB is definitely my favourite book.

What makes Silver Chair your favourite? you have made me curious, as it is lower one my list.

I feel like I have possibly come across something about the Dark Island portion having multiple versions. I will have to dig out my dad's older copy when our library is unpacked again and compare it to my (newer) book.

Speaking of series where the tone is different in each book: have you ever read lewis's space trilogy? I loved all three books, though I haven't actually ever reread the third. the thing is that the endings of all three are beautiful and very moving, each more so than the previous - but you have to get through the hard and nasty events first.....and they are proportionally worse in each as well. still, i highly recommend them

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Sep 16, 12:57pm

Post #6 of 9 (190 views)
Shortcut
Narnia [In reply to] Can't Post

ooooooooooo, I have Netflix! (a bit of a new thing)

I was just researching the LOTR saga on Amazon and did not know about Narnia....

narniaweb has this: https://www.narniaweb.com/netflixs-narnia-what-we-know/

A co-writer of Coco (Pixar) is Creative Architect... can't get any better than that!

Seems to be not quite enough info to make an opinion, only speculation.

I would watch it, just to see how it goes.

Goals: crazy dragon lady, mermaid (for the rest, just see my profile)

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Ml 'lain nallol, I sl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying... (JRR Tolkien, Legolas Song of the Sea)

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 18, 11:14am

Post #7 of 9 (152 views)
Shortcut
They'll never replace the BBC series [In reply to] Can't Post

Way way back when I was a kid the BBC did a very good job of the LW&W, Prince Caspian and Voyage of the Dawn Treader in one block, and the Silver Chair - despite shonky 1980s special effects they really captured the spirit and feel of the books. Tom Baker was a particularly good Puddleglum. About 10 years ago I stumbled upon the DVD box set and snapped it up!

Storm clouds

sparrowruth
Rivendell

Sep 18, 6:34pm

Post #8 of 9 (139 views)
Shortcut
i haven't seen the BBC series [In reply to] Can't Post

but i definitely understand the sentiment! the version you grow up with tends to resonate especially well. I will freely admit that LWW is best at capturing the spirit of the book from the new movies, but my fondness for all three is definitely a factor in my not having watched the bbc series lol

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 18, 9:36pm

Post #9 of 9 (132 views)
Shortcut
I really liked the films too [In reply to] Can't Post

I think there was a lot they got right, and the special effects and battles were way better than the BBC series! But for several years Sunday teatime was all about Narnia and that was lovely.

Storm clouds

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.