Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*Throws Open Doors* It's Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

cats16
Valinor

Sep 7, 6:24pm

Post #26 of 34 (284 views)
Shortcut
Falling into September [In reply to] Can't Post

LA's September is usually rough. We were up to 93/94 several days this week but are dropping to the high 70's tomorrow! We don't have a Fall so it's basically "it could be 90+ everyday til mid-November" season.

A pink lemonade, please! We've come there and back again from Las Vegas. It was a nice 4 day weekend, which I was sad to see come to an end. We walked over 20 miles on the Strip, I lost a little money gambling (then won a little back), then on our last night we saw Cirque de Soleil's Ka show--I'm still in shock of how impressive that show is! Traffic coming back on Labor Day was nasty despite leaving early--a 4 hour drive became a 7 hour drive--but overall it was a safe and much-needed sojourn. I also learned I LOVE desert heat--sure, 110 degrees ain't fun, but I'll take it if there's no humidity and good A/C!

And this week has been back to the grind, with multiple 14 hour days. That's becoming the norm. Crazy I learned my work is likely not getting a reimbursement for the stolen laptop (we thought the credit card may have a benefit that would cover it), so I will be tip-toeing Monday morning to find a good moment to lay that on my boss. CrazyPirate But life goes on!

I think we are going to a brewery or two later today with a friend and her other friends, then we're going to the Dodger game tomorrow with a buddy of mine. So *some* play amid all the work!

It's tougher for me to catch movies in theaters anymore, but I'm excited by all of the fall film festivals this month. Lots of good stuff on the horizon for the rest of the year.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

(This post was edited by cats16 on Sep 7, 6:27pm)

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 7, 9:52pm

Post #27 of 34 (266 views)
Shortcut
Great to hear you're doing so well! [In reply to] Can't Post

I suppose you could always say you were injured during your work as a stunt double :).

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 7, 10:03pm

Post #28 of 34 (271 views)
Shortcut
A bright and stormy night. [In reply to] Can't Post

Bright because of the lightning storm that went on and on through the middle of the night - close to two hours of it before it finally drifted away. Far too many flashes and crashes for sleep to be an option. So I'm a bit sleepy this morning.

Yesterday was a lovely early spring day: cool and breezy, but bright and clear. We did lots of gardening. I'm raising tomato seedlings (definitely a summer crop here), along with peas, beans, cucumbers, melons, and aubergines (eggplant).

It's the time of year when every day there's something new to see in the garden and orchard. Watching out for the seedlings to emerge. The early plum tree is covered in white blossom, and the first of the nectarines has its pink. One sort of flowering cherry is covered, while the later variety is still in bud. The new rose bushes are leafing up enthusiastically. Meanwhile the paddocks on the farms around us are full of gambolling lambs, and our newish neighbour has been planting camellias and fruit trees all along the roadside boundary, which is going to be amazing in a few years.

Wishing everyone a pleasant weekend, whether autumnal or vernal.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Sep 7, 10:36pm

Post #29 of 34 (264 views)
Shortcut
That sounds like a good plan [In reply to] Can't Post

as long as the gardener understands which plants are preciousss (I had to do that) to you! I usually end up with tomatoes ripening in the kitchen (not the whole plants!) and quite a lot of them do, as it's the warmth that ripens them, not the light.Good luck with yours! As you say, there's always chutney. I've just made a batch of spicy apple chutney with Bramleys from my daughter's tree; a lovely autumnal task, and tasty.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 8, 12:31pm

Post #30 of 34 (208 views)
Shortcut
That sounds wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

Putting in a whole new environ to represent the water from the pond is a great idea! Don't forget the pink flamingo ;)

It's smart to have most of your yard as a garden. The time you save in mowing every week can be spent doing just what you want in the gardens. I'm putting in a rock garden hobbity home environ (frontage / door/ etc) in the area by the garage where I had done some serious digging looking for that septic tank the 2 previous years. I was so inspired during my Hobbiton visit... I just have to do SOMETHING! :D

I'm glad the cleaning is done, now you can focus on your new garden prep :D Have a great weekend!

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 8, 12:54pm

Post #31 of 34 (212 views)
Shortcut
Oh man... on many levels! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so glad you had such a fantastic weekend in LV :D I stopped there once at the airport to change planes, so I didn't visit the strip... but was in awe of the view as the airline came in and went out. My Mom used to go every year from Michigan just to gamble and would take as much $ as she was willing to lose. She always came back better off ;)

Oh man... the laptop got lost? That's like losing your wallet! I'm so sorry. Yeah... I'm sure the boss will totally understand *kaff* After working the long hours day after day, having a little compassion would be nice.

I hope you're having a great time with your very busy weekend! Hang in there :D

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 8, 1:02pm

Post #32 of 34 (207 views)
Shortcut
A great time of the year! [In reply to] Can't Post

The world is waking up :D Spring blossoms are such a great show of softness and colours. Your roses made it through the winter!! Awesome! I love how the lambs dance and romp to welcome Spring! I hope you have a great weekend of getting your seedlings to rise and shine :D

Cheers m'dear!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

cats16
Valinor

Sep 10, 5:53am

Post #33 of 34 (152 views)
Shortcut
That's impressive! [In reply to] Can't Post

Your Mom had quite the magic touch, then! It's quite an interesting place. I've now learned to *bring* cash with me--their ATMs charged $8 just to withdraw. Shocked

Yeaahhh I was coming from work, so they got the laptop. Thankfully it went okay with my boss when she got the news. I slid it in between other updates/questions without making it look like I was trying to hide it. Phew! My nerves are at ease again.

Thanks, hope you had a great weekend too! :) And btw, tell your grandson--from someone who was did it recently--always hunt down those books cheaper elsewhere!

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 10, 11:55am

Post #34 of 34 (129 views)
Shortcut
What a relief! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm SO glad your boss was reasonable and understanding about the laptop. *whew* Fersher a huge relief! :D *high five*

sample

TIME Google Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.