Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*Throws Open Doors* It's Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 6, 3:59pm

Post #1 of 34 (474 views)
Shortcut
*Throws Open Doors* It's Fiesta Friday! Can't Post

Welcome to Fiesta Friday! Our first one for September as Summer in my neck of the woods winds down. Our lovely Altaira is still wandering the wilds, so I'm delighted to be your server today! What sounds good to you today?

Fall is my favourite time of the year as the trees are already showing the tinge of colour and the Canadian geese are very busy flying in formation overhead going south. It's also the time of year when hot chocolate, warm cider and bulky sweaters begin to look better and better!

So how do you make the transition from one season to another? Do you start getting your gardens in order? Take the air conditioner out of the window? Put away the light clothes and haul out the sweats? DO TELL :D

Have a GREAT weekend!

sample

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 6, 4:31pm

Post #2 of 34 (425 views)
Shortcut
The tossing of the tomato plant! [In reply to] Can't Post

Our one potted tomato plant has yielded its lone tomato (I blame the local raccoons for damaging it badly before I got netting to cover it), so with the start of meteorological Fall, the fruit is plucked and the plant is tossed into the woods.

We started getting some nice red coloring in the trees here this week! Might I have a cuppa Earl Grey today, please, gramma? With a spot of local honey. They should begin pressing the apple cider around here in a couple of weeks - ah, fresh cider with chocolate-chip cookies!

My kitchen is down to stripped walls and floor, and new electric box and wiring are being installed today (it's horrifying what they could get away with installing, fifty years ago). A side-arm of the hurricane is to give us some showers tonight, but this weekend will be nice for a long walk! Smile

So is your garage-cleaning done yet, gramma?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 6, 4:46pm

Post #3 of 34 (422 views)
Shortcut
The kitchen's extreme cleaning ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't imagine what treasures must have been hiding under the cabinets and in the walls! Oh yeah... there was a lot more creative building going on many years ago. I'm so glad you're getting this done. They've accomplished a lot already! DEMO DAY!

I was wondering if you guys were getting any hint of that horrible storm in your area yet. It seems like its been on the move forever!

Ah... the garage. As usual, one of my quick-ish jobs has become a marathon. It's going to be a while, but I'll be doing it more right this time. A lot of stuff getting pitched. But I am SO done in my enthusiasm for this already ;)

I hope you have a wonderful weekend! A long walk sounds great :D

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 6, 5:16pm

Post #4 of 34 (416 views)
Shortcut
*sips* Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ah, the "treasures" in the walls: 14 mice, all dead - nice to know the mice poison traps have been doing their job. Our old cat does what she can, but she's not the mouser some of our previous cats have been.

Just think how nice that garage will look once you're finished! I hope you can enjoy the outdoors a bit this weekend, gramma. Smile

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Sep 6, 7:15pm

Post #5 of 34 (408 views)
Shortcut
It's feeling a bit autumnal here today - [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been hacking back excess growth in the garden to mark the changing season. There's a point at which 'informal cottage garden style' becomes 'unkempt snaggly jungle style' and mine has reached it. Hot chocolate is appealing, after such activity! We have the option of a fortnightly garden waste bin collection (for which we pay a little extra) and I take advantage of that. I took a carload (bin was already full) to the local tip/recycling centre last night and this morning was stopped in my tracks by a large spider abseiling down towards the passenger seat. Erkk - I'd rather avoid that happening too regularly!
I'm wearing a sweater today, but am still in the sandals - a sort of halfway house, clothes-wise. Im going on a three-night break to Switzerland soon, to visit my cousin who lives near Geneva - goodness knows what I'll need to pack for that! Layers... that's the answer, as long as they fit in a cabin bag; I'm travelling light.
Have a good turn-of-season weekend, all - cheers!

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Sep 6, 7:56pm

Post #6 of 34 (397 views)
Shortcut
in south Texas, it's time to plant tomatos and [In reply to] Can't Post

other winter vegetables. I finally bought my house at the end of June but due to protracted illness have done no gardening. When I'm better I may try some container gardening. Autumn arrives in November.
My daughter the film critic is in Toronto for its Int'l Film Festival, quite a change from Los Angeles weather.
Is anyone else planning to see the Downton Abbey movie in two weeks?
Best regards to all TORnsibs,ElanorTX

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 6, 8:32pm

Post #7 of 34 (389 views)
Shortcut
The one time I had a panic attack [In reply to] Can't Post

was when I was trapped in the car with a teeny spider. It was in the lead-up to Christmas on a stinking hot day, and I was driving around the CBD trying to find a car park as this wee spider spun down from the rear-view mirror, closer and closer to me. Suddenly it dropped, I screamed, a parking space opened before me and I zoomed in and jumped out of the car, panting as if my heart was coming up out of my throat.

I'm fine with spiders if there's space between us, but that little beggar got me right in the phobia.

Crazy Laugh

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 6, 8:33pm

Post #8 of 34 (390 views)
Shortcut
Shelob attack! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh man... on the road is NOT the time to discover that invasion! But I'm very impressed with the huge job you're getting done :) An informal cottage garden is definitely something I've always wanted to do.

Sweater weather is wonderful! I feel cuddled and bundled all the time :D

That trip to see your cousin sounds awesome!!!! I hope you have a great time! Maybe you can get a heads-up about the weather ;)

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 6, 8:40pm

Post #9 of 34 (386 views)
Shortcut
You bought your house! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

That calls for a horchata!!! CONGRATULATIONS!! I hope you feel up to getting outside and creating your winter veggie garden very soon. I know how delays like that can be so frustrating when you've waited so long. *big hug*

I won't be going to see Downton Abbey :( I'm one of those unwashed who never got into it. I know if I'd given it time, I would have enjoyed it so much as I do like those period pieces. I how it's everything you hope it will be :D Feel Better Soon and it's so great to see you!!!

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 6, 8:43pm

Post #10 of 34 (389 views)
Shortcut
We're in the period of "What season should I be today? [In reply to] Can't Post

"A bit more winter? Mix in a little spring, maybe?" So it's sunny and wet, and cold when the sun's behind a cloud ... soooo, typical spring. My freesias are blooming lovely (har har) and the azaleas are beginning to unfurl. Kowhai trees have started flowering, I can see the leaf buds on the deciduous trees plumping up, and it shouldn't be too long before the cherry trees along our street begin to blossom. Heart

I'm now eleven days post-surgery and I'm down to walking with one crutch, although I can get away with no crutches around the house (even though I'm moving a bit like the walking dead; it's a conscious effort to have the right posture and a smooth gait). Also, my doctor dropped a lovely surprise on me yesterday: she wants me in a gym doing strengthening exercises. Yes, it all makes sense - but I've never been inside a gym before. It's all entirely new and startlingly perfect-body to me. But I've booked an assessment with an instructor for next Friday, grimly determined to get it over with. Unimpressed

I'll be working from home for a couple of days next week, then back in the office once I can leave the crutch behind. Altough I have to say, being on crutches is an excellent conversation starter at the supermarket! I'll have to come up with an excellent story for the injury - something more interesting than, "I hurt myself while walking".

On that note, how about a cheeky hot chocolate with Bailey's, madam barkeep? Something warming and cosy.

Happy weekend, everyone! Smile

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Sep 6, 8:44pm)

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Sep 6, 8:45pm

Post #11 of 34 (376 views)
Shortcut
I know what you mean! it's not a good experience. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have huge respect for spiders, they're amazing little creatures, but I don't want to get up close and personal with them in any way.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 6, 8:45pm

Post #12 of 34 (377 views)
Shortcut
Congrats on the house! [In reply to] Can't Post

How long were you house-hunting for?

I'm definitely seeing the Downton Abbey movie, if only for more delicious snark from the Dowager Countess. Heart

Ataahua's stories

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Sep 6, 8:51pm

Post #13 of 34 (372 views)
Shortcut
My garden is pretty small really - [In reply to] Can't Post

so I can't allow some things to totally mug other things or it'd become a bit samey. Yes, my cousin spoils me - they don't even let me pay for a coffee when I visit them. It's a funny old world; I communicate more with her, living in a different country, than I do with my other two cousins who live within twenty minutes drive, despite my best efforts! It makes no sense.

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Sep 6, 8:54pm

Post #14 of 34 (370 views)
Shortcut
We have that situation quite a lot in these parts - [In reply to] Can't Post

the weather plays some crazy tricks. Go for those strengthening exercises, they will aid your recovery. Don't be grimly determined, embrace them joyfully! (Even if your teeth are firmly clenched...Crazy) Good luck!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 6, 10:09pm

Post #15 of 34 (369 views)
Shortcut
Ahhhh... [In reply to] Can't Post

the heart knows nothing about logistics or distance. I know some people who are in the same room and may as well be in different hemispheres ;)

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 6, 10:20pm

Post #16 of 34 (370 views)
Shortcut
Awesome Progress!! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so happy that you're moving along so well! GOOD JOB! I'd be hesitant to do a gym, too. I've never been in one either... but I do occasionally walk down the exercise equipment at the store... if that counts ;)

Now... I thought you got you booboo from a hard landing on your last free-fall parachute jump. Right? ;)

I hope you have a wonderful weekend enjoying your fickle weather!

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 6, 10:33pm

Post #17 of 34 (366 views)
Shortcut
The eensy-weensy spider climbed down the... [In reply to] Can't Post

Urg. No. Flying insects in the car, I can handle okay, but spiders in the closed quarters - that give me the creeps. Any size spider! Crazy

A trip to Switzerland at this time of year sounds lovely! Will the trees have started to turn color there yet?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 6, 10:43pm

Post #18 of 34 (369 views)
Shortcut
Winter vegetables? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd never thought of the tomato as one - but then, winters in your area tend to be like Springtime up here! Would raised garden beds work for you? Belated congrats on buying the house.

Your daughter should find it pleasantly cool in Toronto this weekend! A Hobbit connection: one of the films being screened, Julie Delpy's My Zoe, has Richard Armitage as a co-star.

I've never watched Downton Abbey, but after seeing the trailer in the theater, hubby indicated an interest in it, to my surprise! So it looks like we'll go when it comes to our local cinema. Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 6, 10:50pm

Post #19 of 34 (365 views)
Shortcut
The season that delights the eye! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love it when my azaleas bloom. Cherry trees - I'm envious!

Don't fear the gym! My son started going to one a few months ago for weight-management, and found the instructors very helpful with recommendations for easing into aerobic and strengthening routines. Definitely not a perfect-body place! Laugh

I like gramma's sky-diving story. I'd offer one about a water-skiing accident, but it's not quite the season yet, is it!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 6, 11:01pm

Post #20 of 34 (363 views)
Shortcut
**HANGS OUT SELF-SERVE SIGN** Have a GREAT weekend everyone! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 7, 12:31am

Post #21 of 34 (366 views)
Shortcut
Oh, right, of course. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Now... I thought you got you booboo from a hard landing on your last free-fall parachute jump. Right? ;)

How could I have forgotten that?

Laugh

Ataahua's stories

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Sep 7, 9:33am

Post #22 of 34 (332 views)
Shortcut
At least if they're flying you can open the window. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure about autumn in Switzerland; here on the western coast at almost sea level the leaves haven't started to turn yet, but at a higher altitude in the middle of Europe it might be different. That would certainly add something to the photo oportunities!

Annael
Immortal

Sep 7, 4:43pm

Post #23 of 34 (303 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a point at which 'informal cottage garden style' becomes 'unkempt snaggly jungle style'

don't I know it! Last year I caved & hired the neighbors' gardeners for a day of cleanup. That may become a yearly ritual.

We're not there yet however. September can be a lovely mild month here, and my tomatoes are still going strong. My mother used to keep them going until the first frost was forecast, and then she'd haul the bushes inside & hang them upside down to nurse the last bit of ripening from the tomatoes. And if they stayed green, she made green tomato chutney. Think I'll skip straight to the chutney, myself.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around Ö The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

(This post was edited by Annael on Sep 7, 4:48pm)

Annael
Immortal

Sep 7, 4:46pm

Post #24 of 34 (301 views)
Shortcut
of course! [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought you got you booboo from a hard landing on your last free-fall parachute jump.

While I was still on crutches because I'd broken my foot getting out of bed, a complete stranger walking by said to me "don't tell me . . . hang-gliding in Antarctica?"

Much better story.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around Ö The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

(This post was edited by Annael on Sep 7, 4:47pm)

Annael
Immortal

Sep 7, 4:58pm

Post #25 of 34 (294 views)
Shortcut
transition time . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

right now I'm keeping all my options available. Wore a light sweater over a sundress & sandals last night to go to a movie, type of thing. Eventually all the summer clothes will go into the boxes-under-the-bed, the sandals likewise, and the boots will emerge from the back of the guestroom closet.

Garden cleanup will occur as well. And then some planting - we demolished, finally, our garden pond that was far more trouble than it was worth, which means I have a whole new area to plant! Going to put in white & blue plants to evoke the pond feel. And I'm going to be sowing many more bulbs for spring, plus completing my ongoing project to take out some groundcovers that have taken over the rock garden and plant heathers there instead. We have one of those yards that is mostly garden, not grass, so it's a fair amount of work but I love it. "Gardening is the slowest performance art" after all.

I went on a major cleaning binge about a month ago in anticipation of a series of guests, so that's already done.

-- Gaston Bachelard

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.