Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Tolkien vs Peter Jackson: Five Things the Books Did Better Than the Films
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

squire
Half-elven

Sep 11, 9:51pm

Post #26 of 33 (846 views)
Shortcut
Is that your writing or are you quoting someone else? [In reply to] Can't Post

It's hard to tell the way you've framed the post. Thanks for it, in any case.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Archive: All the TORn Reading Room Book Discussions (including the 1st BotR Discussion!) and Footerama: "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
Dr. Squire introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Lissuin
Valinor

Sep 11, 11:45pm

Post #27 of 33 (844 views)
Shortcut
2004: Here is the link to the essay by a Tolkien fan very unhappy with the films. [In reply to] Can't Post

Promises Kept — Not the good ones, I'm afraid. ROTK-M At Last
https://web.archive.org/...hedain.netfirms.com/
These quotes are found in part 2. Characterization and Plot Evisceration Continues

I don't know who wrote it but read it from an earlier post in April where Solicitir referenced it.
http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=959802#959802

There's enough here to keep you guys writing for some time (she said very sweetly). Knock yourselves out. I have a Hobbit caption to choose. Angelic

Solicitr
Rohan

Sep 12, 2:23am

Post #28 of 33 (820 views)
Shortcut
Subject [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I don't know who wrote it but read it from an earlier post in April where Solicitir referenced it.

I thought it was familiar!

Paulo Gabriel
Rivendell

Sep 12, 10:18am

Post #29 of 33 (774 views)
Shortcut
Both quotes are not mine. [In reply to] Can't Post

They are from one Joan Barger, fanfiction author of LOTR. They are from 2003-04. IMO, the essays are classic, as are her turn-of-phrases.

lurtz2010
Rohan

Sep 13, 12:13am

Post #30 of 33 (706 views)
Shortcut
Jeez there’s no pleasing that person [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Promises Kept — Not the good ones, I'm afraid. ROTK-M At Last
https://web.archive.org/...hedain.netfirms.com/
These quotes are found in part 2. Characterization and Plot Evisceration Continues

There's enough here to keep you guys writing for some time (she said very sweetly). Knock yourselves out. I have a Hobbit caption to choose. Angelic

Do they have an essay about the hobbit films by any chance?

Solicitr
Rohan

Sep 13, 3:17pm

Post #31 of 33 (621 views)
Shortcut
I think she's right on the money. [In reply to] Can't Post

And she -and I -could have been pleased: by much better films than PJ made.

Actually, I'm not as harsh about Shore's score, which overall I thought was quite good. However, I will grant that he did overrepeat the same stuff without variation too often (or the sound editor spliced in the same track too often); and I agree that ersatz-Celtic standing in for "olde" IS an overused cliche, and I couldn't stand his hackneyed Exorcist-like shrieking demonic choruses.

lurtz2010
Rohan

Sep 13, 10:38pm

Post #32 of 33 (578 views)
Shortcut
It’s like she despised every atom involved in the movies [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn’t think it was possible for someone to be so disappointed with the Lotr trilogy.

My respect for her opinion dropped to zero when I read her alternative TTT movie that she wrote. All those short scenes cut back and forth every 10 seconds or so would’ve been a mess and those constant long zooms across the land to show the geography between each of the storylines was just ridiculous.

Paulo Gabriel
Rivendell

Sep 17, 7:05am

Post #33 of 33 (255 views)
Shortcut
Maybe no more a mess or ridiculous... [In reply to] Can't Post

than what PJ actually did. ;)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.