Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
It's 2019, What is best way to own the movies??

Lorethiel

Sep 4, 6:17am

Post #1 of 4 (2592 views)
Shortcut
It's 2019, What is best way to own the movies?? Can't Post

They just started playing them on NF and it made me dig up my extended versions to watch on DVD. WELL-- post divorce I never bothered to buy a DVD player so I went down and grabbed a cheap one without realizing it wasn't HD and it's an upscalong one argh!!! So, then I realized I have the DVD set that was before HD. (Only identifying thing says platinum edition). So trying to research the web on it is daunting. I am hoping this is the place where I can get opinions of Tolkienites and not movie buffs.
I'm currently running my extended DVDs but had to turn down everything to make them watchable. Anyone care to give me the latest ?

skyofcoffeebeans
Rivendell

Sep 5, 5:23pm

Post #2 of 4 (2462 views)
Shortcut
Seems like you’re looking for the blu rays? [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-Fellowship-Extended-Editions/dp/B007ZQAKHU

Also on google play and iTunes

the 13th warrior
Rivendell

Sep 11, 8:13pm

Post #3 of 4 (2117 views)
Shortcut
as a techno philistine, a few ideas... [In reply to] Can't Post

hello L, i am probably the least techno proficient person around these parts, so i will tell you what i went through as i have a huge standard def dvd collection and need a player.
1) many dvd players did and still do operate on a red-yellow-white cable cord called RCA standard, and you would run them between the player and your tv set, connect audio to amp,tuner,receiver unit to get sound, etc. welcome to the 21st century where corp media is wanting to phase out dvd and physical media, IMHO, to make it a totally streaming, non physical world. i happen to like phys media and my collection but the world is in a different direction that i am.
2) newer players like blue ray started to use a whole different cabling system to connect player to tv to sound, with blue red green cables, some cords with ports on the end, which would invalidate the old rca system since connectors and inputs, ports, won;t be compatible any more. add to the confusion the hdmi system uses big wide mouth connectors and inputs since people like their vid games. new players can even be wireless or use a different cable system--the old rca white,red,yellows are being phased out and the next gen of cords will go out too.

3) all is not lost. i got a 29 dollars dvd player from best buy and it worked fine on my 90s, early 2000s home ent system, cause i asked for and made sure to look at box, read specs that it had the old rca cords, plugs i needed. these players are not numerous, but generally sit at the bottom on the shelf and there also portable laptop players and these advertise being able to play standard def dvd's, blu ray, hd, ultra hd, etc. actually these are also at target, and drug stores have a few models. and dvd's are all over the place and for cheap prices. have to read carefully for the DVD symbol, and there are combo packs that have several formats. ((and plenty that are blue ray only.))

4) might suggest my array, a standard dvd player that will need to plug into a proper, older system, not sure what you have, i have old 90s tuner,receiver,amp with rca style plugs and inputs for everything, cassette tape player, vinyl LP player, and dvd sound. perhaps a portable laptop that play them all and might wire to your system.

5) again the problem will be modern tuner,receiver,amps, that don't support rca but are going wireless eventually. but you can find plenty of great standard def dvd offerings on ebay, amazon, etc. again you have to make sure you are reading fine print that it's standard def dvd.
hope it's helpful,

The 13th Warrior
Left Field Caliphate
"From the scroll rooms of Gondor, where physical media is treasured...."

(This post was edited by the 13th warrior on Sep 11, 8:18pm)

Jeffrodo
Bree

Oct 11, 12:11pm

Post #4 of 4 (1040 views)
Shortcut
Blu-ray all the way [In reply to] Can't Post

Well if you’re asking what’s the BEST way to watch them...then I would have to say buy a Blu-ray player and pick up the extended cut on Blu-ray. You’ll need an HD TV. All of that has really come down in price. As someone who’s had the LOTR on DVD and bluray (and 4K Blu-ray is apparently coming next year!) I really think the difference in DVD to Blu-ray is striking. If you don’t want to buy the discs you can get the HD TV (bigger the better) and buy a digital copy to stream. But I’m not sure if those come with all the wonderful extras. I’d stick with the physical media.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.