Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the first reading thread of September!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Sep 3, 2:40pm

Post #1 of 8 (268 views)
Shortcut
It's the first reading thread of September! Can't Post

September? Really? The Christmas decorations will be going up soon. Too soon. Much too soon.

In my absence I finished listening to Rebecca. I'd forgotten how abruptly it ends, although the ending is certainly set up from the beginning. I'm now just at the Ride of the Rohirrim in the unabridged RotK. Hearing it is making the lines used or almost used for the movies jump out at me, more so than reading them.

In paper I read two more of my used, throwaway mysteries. One, Malice Poetic by Betty Rowlands, might be the fifth in a series but had so many cozy-mystery cliches that I ended up just skimming. The other, Wycliffe and the Scapegoat by W.J. Burley, is also far along in a traditional British police-procedure series. Published in the 70s, it has Burley's usual dismal characters and the feel of a book set in the 30s, never mind the occasional mutter about computers and such.

I read a late book in Lindsey Davis's series of mysteries set in ancient Rome, Deadly Elections. Davis has passed her protagonist torch from the strong personality of Marcus Didius Falco, an informer, to the equally strong personality of his daughter, Flavia Albia, also an informer. Davis gets away with numerous anachronisms simply through style and voice. This story depended a bit too heavily on the genealogy of a particular Roman family, but was entertaining even so.

I also read a non-fiction book titled The Real Middle-earth: Magic and Mystery in the Dark Ages, by Brian Bates. He explores how the Saxons built a mythology of the imagination and the natural world, complete with images of dragons, trees, and the like. Yes, there are copious references to LotR as well as to Beowulf and other tales.

Whew! So what have you been reading?

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Annael
Immortal

Sep 3, 7:36pm

Post #2 of 8 (242 views)
Shortcut
I am FINALLY [In reply to] Can't Post

finishing off Mary Stewart's Arthur series; read The Last Enchantment last week on vacation and now am halfway through The Wicked Day. I think I was so in love with her Merlin that I didn't want to go with him into the dark. But in fact the way Stewart handles Merlin's loss of power to Nimue and his entombment is adroit and not at all distressing.

I note that she's leaning far more on T.H. White for this part of the story than the early sources evident in her first two books.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Sep 4, 8:34pm

Post #3 of 8 (228 views)
Shortcut
"The color of the sky as far as I can see is coal grey." [In reply to] Can't Post

Been browsing the lyrics of some 10,000 Maniacs songs, while thinking about a different maniac entirely.

The phrase "coal grey" reminds me of the movie The 6th Sense, in which two of the lead characters are Cole Sear and Malcolm Crowe, and another briefly seen but important figure is named Vincent Grey. So we have "grey" plus two names, "coal" and "crow", which conjure the color black. (I think John Simon was the first commentator to note the foregoing points.) And Master Sear is a "seer" of ghosts.

There have been some scholarly studies of color in Tolkien's work. I'm not sure if there have been any on the subject of weather. In that field, some of the smartest writing happened here on TORN, penned by Curious.

Treachery, treachery I fear; treachery of that miserable creature.

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Discuss Tolkien's life and works in the Reading Room!
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Annael
Immortal

Sep 4, 10:43pm

Post #4 of 8 (207 views)
Shortcut
is that song about Seattle in winter? // [In reply to] Can't Post

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

sevilodorf
Grey Havens

Sep 5, 12:58am

Post #5 of 8 (201 views)
Shortcut
JD Robb’s In Death series [In reply to] Can't Post

All forty million or so it seems.

I am on number 29 or 28 Fantasy in Death. Robb does a decent to good job of having Eve and Roarke’s relationship grow and deepen over the time period of the novels. However it is about this point in the series that she started falling prey to the every minor character ever introduced has to check in during every novel. If they fit logically great if not stop don’t do it.

They’re like potato chips ... impossible to stop once you start.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Sep 7, 4:20am

Post #6 of 8 (178 views)
Shortcut
"The Hobbit". I have questions about Bandobras Took. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's said that he won the Battle of Greenfields and invented the game of golf by knocking Golfimbul's head clean off his shoulders and into a rabbit hole.

Do you think he set up a golf course? Did hobbits travel to play at it? Would there have been an inn attached where visitors could stay?

And would he have increased his earnings by having his brother Ferumbras, the Thain, require the Shirriffs to stay at Bandobras's inn on their rounds, even if it was miles out of their way? (A shortcut that makes a long delay?)

But so it must be. Let us remember that a traitor may betray himself and do good that he does not intend.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Sep 7, 4:27am

Post #7 of 8 (172 views)
Shortcut
Birmingham in late summer, perhaps? [In reply to] Can't Post

Although most likely Jamestown, New York, on the shores of Chautauqua Lake, the childhood home of Natalie Merchant. Jamestown was also the birthplace of actress Lucille Ball, the National Football League's current commissioner Roger Goodell, and ornithologist Roger Tory Peterson. Pretty impressive for a burg whose population never surpassed 50,000 even at its height.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Sep 7, 1:08pm

Post #8 of 8 (141 views)
Shortcut
The Inn at Greenfields [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, for my house-ruled guide to the Shire for The One Ring Roleplaying Game, I've placed a tavern in Greenfields called The Rabbit Hole (though I briefly considered naming it The Hole in One).

"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." - DRWolf (after John C. Maxwell)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.