Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*Throws Open Doors* It's Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 30, 3:58pm

Post #1 of 29 (819 views)
Shortcut
*Throws Open Doors* It's Fiesta Friday! Can't Post

Welcome to Fiesta! Our lovely Altaira is still off in the wilds enjoying a well-earned vacation over the next few weeks. I've grabbed the bar towel and keys… and they've foolishly given me access to everything behind the counter! THE DRINKS ARE ON ME! :D Do tell what you'd like to have as we enjoy the last weekend of summer here in North America… which includes a 3-day holiday weekend.

This is also the weekend of an awesome Convention! DRAGONCON! It takes place the last weekend of August every year in , Atlanta, Georgia. Kudos to TORn’s 21st DragonCon!! and many any thanks to TORn Staffers greendragon, deej and others for sharing TORn's awesomeness! They have been a big part of the team of volunteers responsible for years of TORn's participation in Conventions and Parties.

If you're in the area, you still have time to get there and snag some of TORn's historic t-shirts and pins! This year they have 20th Anniversary and Vote Sam 2020 shirts. There's more information on the homepage announcement.

So if you are fortunate to have a 3-day weekend… or even if you *sniff* don't… what are your plans and what do you have coming up on the first week of September?

OH… check this out. If you're aware of Steven Colbert's famous knowledge of all things Tolkien stories, you'll enjoy this little youtube offering… for a moment of Colbert-zen.

Steven Colbert is stumped by Ryan Gosling's LotR question from his Mom. However, Colbert still RULES!!!!! Oooo-rah!

sample

sample

We have been there and back again.

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 30, 4:37pm

Post #2 of 29 (753 views)
Shortcut
Yay! It's a three-day weekend! [In reply to] Can't Post

Greetings, gramma, and thank you for tending the bar! Might I have a mocha smoothie, please? School here began on Wednesday, and I've been tuckered out by the end of the day each day! I'm looking forward to having three days off.

I'll be cleaning up from visitors this weekend - we had such fun, now it's time to wash the sheets and towels and mail off anything they left behind, plus 20 pounds of books that my youngest and her boyfriend purchased at our local used-book store! Laugh

And get everything out of the kitchen, hopefully Tuesday the contractor will arrive to remove the nearly 50 year old cabinets which are literally falling to pieces. I'm looking forward to this little kitchen being re-arranged and having more counter space, new cabinets, and a usable pantry.

I still have the T-shirt silneldor got for me at that DragonCon you all attended! So how did your garage cleaning go, gramma?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 30, 4:49pm

Post #3 of 29 (753 views)
Shortcut
uhhhhhhhh.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you're missing the idea of 3 days off! MERCY! But it's all good stuff you're cleaning up from and preparing for, so I guess I'll allow it ;)

School's finally on the books, so to speak, eh? I hope it settles down once all the classrooms get going with their routines. My IU gson just bought over $200 worth of books for one class online! The prof wanted them to get their books at the school's bookstore which cost over twice as much!

Ah... the garage cleaning is changing from a sprint to a marathon. Of the past 5 days, I've only had 2 to really get down and dirty (literally) with it. The raccoons were very generous with their contributions to the filth, so it's a bit more than I expected. BUT I shall prevail AND survive!

I'm so excited for you to finally get your kitchen going :D Hang in there, and have a wonderful weekend!

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Aug 30, 4:49pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 30, 5:07pm

Post #4 of 29 (746 views)
Shortcut
*slurps* [In reply to] Can't Post

Ahh, thanks, gramma! Raccoon remnants? Oh no, I can imagine the mess, you might want to wear one of those face masks while cleaning it all out!

Textbooks are still so expensive, I hope your grandson doesn't end up spending too much for all his classes. He's got to have enough money left over for outings and pizza, of course! Smile

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 30, 5:11pm

Post #5 of 29 (743 views)
Shortcut
**Hang out SELF SERVE sign** I'll be around, so stop by for a drink & a chat :D Have a safe weekend! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

sample

TIME Google Calendar

CuriousG
Half-elven

Aug 30, 5:32pm

Post #6 of 29 (743 views)
Shortcut
Dang, I see the self-service sign put up 8 minutes ago. [In reply to] Can't Post

So I will help myself to what Dernwyn is having--that looks really good.

It was funny to see Colbert finally stumped by *something*, even if it was trivial.

My plans include a dinner with some friends I haven't seen in a while. We mulled over various Labor Day things we could do, but someone had the deal-breaker of "no crowds" in effect, so that ruled out quite a lot. And a dinner out with idle banter is a nice way to wind down the official end of the summer. The public pool and splash park across the street from me have officially closed for the summer too, and I think I see some trees with their leaves changing colors, so autumn is upon us. Sounds like a good time to sell Bag End and head out on a Quest.

Happy weekend, everyone.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 30, 6:27pm

Post #7 of 29 (738 views)
Shortcut
Dang! No crowds!? [In reply to] Can't Post

That in itself is a worthy Quest ;) I hope you all find something that fits the bill and gives you a great day.

I love Colbert's reaction. It's not often he gets caught off-footed ;)

Have a great weekend!!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Aug 30, 7:36pm

Post #8 of 29 (738 views)
Shortcut
Happy Friday to you all - [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been wrestling with the Photobox website this evening, as I have one month to create two calendars and a photobook (all on special offer). My broadband is rather arthritic, so there's a certain amount of frustration involved - but it'll be worth it eventually! Tea and biscuits will help, as will half an hour off to watch the BBC's soothing old favourite 'Gardeners World' - which has just started. Cheers, All!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 30, 10:55pm

Post #9 of 29 (723 views)
Shortcut
A Quest! [In reply to] Can't Post

What wonderful projects! I love working on stuff like that. I'll bet one of your biggest challenges was picking which pictures to use :D I hear you on the broadband. I hope you can get it under control. Do you have a nearby library where you could plug into the site? Good Luck! I'll bet they'll be perfect! Enjoy your weekend and hanging out with 'Gardners World'!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 31, 1:47pm

Post #10 of 29 (669 views)
Shortcut
A busy lady, you are! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope all goes smoothly with the projects! Smile

Thor 'n' Oakenshield
Rohan

Sep 1, 2:59pm

Post #11 of 29 (605 views)
Shortcut
Haha - Steven Colbert is truly wonderful [In reply to] Can't Post

It's always a nice feeling when you see a Tolkien fan who knows his stuff like Colbert does, using his platform to spread more love and admiration for the Professor and his works.

I had a plan, last year, to send Colbert a birthday card that sang "Happy Birthday" in Quenya Elvish. Unfortunately, the process of designing a singing card is much harder than it looks, and I couldn't get it done before his birthday.

"It is my duty to fight" - Mulan

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Sep 1, 9:38pm

Post #12 of 29 (569 views)
Shortcut
Yay - finished with Photobox today! [In reply to] Can't Post

I do like it when I finish things and order them well before the deadline. They have special offers - you buy a credit and have a month to use it. That brings the cost down to expensive but bearable!

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Sep 1, 9:40pm

Post #13 of 29 (568 views)
Shortcut
Yes it has, thanks - [In reply to] Can't Post

but I bet when I receive the finished articles I'll find a typo somewhere in the captioning, despite all my checks!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Sep 2, 1:07am

Post #14 of 29 (549 views)
Shortcut
Oh, he would have loved that! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 2, 3:06am

Post #15 of 29 (550 views)
Shortcut
I love how he slides away in response. :D [In reply to] Can't Post

Of course that illustration would appear on different pages between book editions so there's no way to answer that! And I bet Ryan's mother knew that. Cool

Also, 'bee' good on the show? Awww. Evil

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Sep 2, 9:13pm

Post #16 of 29 (486 views)
Shortcut
That question is only slightly harder than: [In reply to] Can't Post

“What have I got in my pocket?”

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 3, 10:57am

Post #17 of 29 (431 views)
Shortcut
I used to do proofing [In reply to] Can't Post

for the advertising company I typed copy for... and I had to find someone (usually the receptionist) to read through the text with me backwards and outloud... and then forwards... including punctuation! That way I couldn't anticipate what it would say and my brain would see it that way right through the booboo. Now... I can safely (sadly) say I don't do that very often anymore ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 3, 11:13am

Post #18 of 29 (427 views)
Shortcut
I'm so impressed! [In reply to] Can't Post

I keep meaning to do just that and always either forget or wait too long :(

GOLD STAR FOR GREENWOOD HOBBIT

gold splat for gramma

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 3, 11:18am

Post #19 of 29 (427 views)
Shortcut
So true! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll drink to that! Colbert is so brilliant and has SHOWN people why we love Tolkien :D

Hey... keep going on the card! There's another birthday coming up!! *high five* You've gotta show it to us! I'd love to see (hear) it!!

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 3, 11:22am

Post #20 of 29 (428 views)
Shortcut
*snicker* [In reply to] Can't Post

or how many mumakil were on Pelennor Field? ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Annael
Immortal

Sep 3, 2:23pm

Post #21 of 29 (423 views)
Shortcut
back from Cousin Camp [In reply to] Can't Post

Two of my cousins, brother & sister (children of my mom's oldest sister) who have been living in Japan and Italy, respectively, came for a visit. So we threw them in the car & hauled them across the state to visit OTHER cousins (children of my mom's next-oldest sister). These cousins have an orchard and a large spread on Lake Roosevelt, complete with bunkhouse, and we hung out there for a few days, telling family stories and hearing about life in other countries.

My dad came along. He's 95 and moving slowly these days. My cousin from Japan is 84 and also moves slowly. My brother is 77 but still spry, but suffers from inertia; once he's in one place, like a kid he resists being moved out of it. So the whole time I felt like I was hauling on a rope trying to get these guys from point A to point B. (The women, meanwhile, went for long walks every morning after my 82-year-old Italian cousin did yoga.)

I'm now calling the whole adventure The Pokey Man Tour.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

Greenwood Hobbit
Grey Havens

Sep 3, 4:43pm

Post #22 of 29 (411 views)
Shortcut
The thought of that makes my brain hurt! [In reply to] Can't Post

Annael
Immortal

Sep 3, 7:38pm

Post #23 of 29 (393 views)
Shortcut
my trick [In reply to] Can't Post

was to put a ruler under each line so I couldn't read ahead, and then force myself to look at every. single. word.

I hate proofing. I refused to do it after a while, telling clients that there were plenty of people out there far more anal than I they could hire, and they'd cost less besides.

I am a dreamer of words, of written words. I think I am reading; a word stops me. I leave the page. The syllables of the words begin to move around … The words take on other meanings as if they had the right to be young.

-- Gaston Bachelard

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967
my blog: https://jodybower.com/myths-archetypes-in-film/

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Sep 3, 9:01pm

Post #24 of 29 (387 views)
Shortcut
*snort* [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm now calling the whole adventure The Pokey Man Tour.

Did you share the name with your female cuzzies? Cool

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Sep 5, 11:48am

Post #25 of 29 (308 views)
Shortcut
Problem is... [In reply to] Can't Post

I have some dyslexia issues... so it sometimes made perfect sense! ;)

sample

TIME Google Calendar

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.